The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Build Thread Falcon Overland Build

DezRoamer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:09 AM
Reaction score
After many 4x4 builds, Land Rovers, Jeeps, and Toyotas, I came across this new car company with the concept of a purpose built vehicle. The Ineos Grenadier.
As an enthusiast of all things 4Wheel drive and backcountry travel when I found out my local Land Rover dealer was acquiring the Ineos dealership I patiently waited to see the truck in person.
The owner of the dealership and I are good friends and when he got his first allotment I went and test drove the truck a second time. A long and extensive test drive convinced me this would be a fantastic platform to build. As I scrutinized the truck, determining it's attributes as well as it's deficiencies the mental list of equipment needed to custom build this new endeavor.
It so happened the truck I test drove was available. It was in Station Wagon form, optioned with only Lockers, Leather heated seats, 17" steelies and tow pack. A nice combination for my needs.
Contract signed, and I drove off in my new Grenadier.
The build begins. Here is a list of the things I felt important to make this a fantastic truck to travel in.

Slightly taller tires (Goodyear Duratracs RT 255/80/17)
Rear Seat delete (GooseGear is definitely heavily considered)
Roof Rack (Most likely FrontRunner 3/4)
12v / second battery / solar set up
to run fridge and aux interior
accessories (REDARC Manager 30, 100W roof mounted panel, BattleBorn 100ahr lithium, BluSea ancillaries)
270 degree awing (Bush Company 270 Max)

My main goal is to keep the build simple, but very functional and with purpose.
So if you find any interest in my project, follow along. I'll try and detail the build, share some pictures and give the reasons why I'm choosing the products I use.

Cheers
Jeff

DezRoamer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
First thing I wanted to do was replace the 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
I considered several tires in the 255/80/17 size, Toyo Open CountryIII's, Falken Wild Peak AT4W, Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT, and the new Goodyear Duratrac RT.
My logic behind choosing that particular size,
I've always felt that 255 width was a great choice because it put more LBs/square inch to the ground, Good for snow traction and cutting down when driving thru mud. The downside to the narrower than the standard 265 is it feels a bit twitchy on dry pavement. Steering input seems quicker and and maybe the loss of a little stability.
The profile ratio of 80 gives a little more cushion and rolling resistance over uneven ground (not that that be achieved by another tire size in a 33-35" tall tire.
I also wanted to go only as far up in size as a 33" tall tire. One reason is I knew I'd have no issues mounting it on the rear door and no stress on the door hinges. Very small power loss from the engine and the transmission would have no trouble running 8th gear. Lastly, the weight of the tire increases only by a couple pounds (Tire choice dependent)

I ended up choosing the DuraTrac RT. A new release from GoodYear, now with a 3 ply sidewall, some Kevlar reenforcing, more siping than the old DT, a great looking sidewall profile with a new design of the side biters.
And from a personal perspective I always thought the old Defenders and Land Cruisers just looked more Utilitarian with the tall skinnies!
I have no problem with any rubbing, the transmission has no issues of hunting for the right gear, It sits in 8th when driving down the hiway at 55mph. I continue to see if my MPG suffers or gets better than the 265/70's.

Attachments

• IMG_8603 (1).jpg
    IMG_8603 (1).jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_8599.jpg
    IMG_8599.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:09 AM
Reaction score
Do the Duratracs have the 3 Peak symbol? When I look at it on the Goodyear site, they imply that they are 3 peak rated, but Discount Tire indicates they are not. Sorry to keep asking questions, but we have basically the same base build (if mine ever gets out of the port and to the dealer) and the same thoughts as far as tire size and tire choice.

DezRoamer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Do the Duratracs have the 3 Peak symbol? When I look at it on the Goodyear site, they imply that they are 3 peak rated, but Discount Tire indicates they are not. Sorry to keep asking questions, but we have basically the same base build (if mine ever gets out of the port and to the dealer) and the same thoughts as far as tire size and tire choice.
Yes this size (255/80/17) is 3Peak rated and load range E.
It was very snowy and icy on road today and I'll say these handle better than the older DuraTrac. More sipes, combine that with the weight of truck and the 4wheel drive system it felt very connected and slip was minimal. The snow was wet and slushy. IMHO, a much better snow tire than the BFG KO2..
47psi, (which I think may be a bit overinflated) and only 500 miles on the tires. So I'd expect they are at their peak traction preformance.
Note: I did buy these at Discount Tire in Falcon CO

Attachments

• IMG_8646.jpg
    IMG_8646.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 110

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:09 AM
Reaction score
Yes this size (255/80/17) is 3Peak rated and load range E.
It was very snowy and icy on road today and I'll say these handle better than the older DuraTrac. More sipes, combine that with the weight of truck and the 4wheel drive system it felt very connected and slip was minimal. The snow was wet and slushy. IMHO, a much better snow tire than the BFG KO2..
47psi, (which I think may be a bit overinflated) and only 500 miles on the tires. So I'd expect they are at their peak traction preformance.
Note: I did buy these at Discount Tire in Falcon CO
Thank you! The old Duratracs blew the K02s out of the water on my old Armada, in my opinion. So I am pretty excited for the new version. Now just need my Grenadier to make its way from the port to the dealer, drive it home and order/install the tires from Discount. Roof rack of some kind and some rock sliders. She has been waiting for 2 years and is ready to go adventure.

Attachments

• 0311131608a (1).jpg
    0311131608a (1).jpg
    726 KB · Views: 112

Manzino

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:09 AM
Reaction score
First thing I wanted to do was replace the 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
I considered several tires in the 255/80/17 size, Toyo Open CountryIII's, Falken Wild Peak AT4W, Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT, and the new Goodyear Duratrac RT.
My logic behind choosing that particular size,
I've always felt that 255 width was a great choice because it put more LBs/square inch to the ground, Good for snow traction and cutting down when driving thru mud. The downside to the narrower than the standard 265 is it feels a bit twitchy on dry pavement. Steering input seems quicker and and maybe the loss of a little stability.
The profile ratio of 80 gives a little more cushion and rolling resistance over uneven ground (not that that be achieved by another tire size in a 33-35" tall tire.
I also wanted to go only as far up in size as a 33" tall tire. One reason is I knew I'd have no issues mounting it on the rear door and no stress on the door hinges. Very small power loss from the engine and the transmission would have no trouble running 8th gear. Lastly, the weight of the tire increases only by a couple pounds (Tire choice dependent)

I ended up choosing the DuraTrac RT. A new release from GoodYear, now with a 3 ply sidewall, some Kevlar reenforcing, more siping than the old DT, a great looking sidewall profile with a new design of the side biters.
And from a personal perspective I always thought the old Defenders and Land Cruisers just looked more Utilitarian with the tall skinnies!
I have no problem with any rubbing, the transmission has no issues of hunting for the right gear, It sits in 8th when driving down the hiway at 55mph. I continue to see if my MPG suffers or gets better than the 265/70's.
The tires look great! Is there enough clearance to open the left back door with the spare being that size? It's not clear from your photo.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:09 AM
Reaction score
The tires look great! Is there enough clearance to open the left back door with the spare being that size? It's not clear from your photo.
With a 255/80/17, yes there is

Back
Top Bottom