The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Build Thread Bruce's build

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:22 AM
Reaction score
I actually fitted this kit (16mm fitting) today for my wolfbox. Works like a charm. Screen sits slightly higher than strapping to the OEM mirror and because it is truly centered on the ball you lose a bit of front camera coverage due to ADAS box, but I am going to stick with it. No vibrations or rattling in my case, ball joint is not as stiff / firm as OEM mirror but fits snug enough...

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:22 AM
Reaction score

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:22 AM
Reaction score

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:22 AM
Reaction score
Haha they probably would have been quicker and I could have drank tea like @Pat-Ard!

Thank you!

Cheers! 🍺

I have ordered the Buzz Overland sliders. What made you select LeTech pover Buzz, in anything?

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have ordered the Buzz Overland sliders. What made you select LeTech pover Buzz, in anything?
I cross shopped Buzz, Black Sheep, and LeTech. LeTech has a long history of excellent quality stuff where the other 2 companies are newer. Black Sheep looks very well engineered, but having to screw on the steps to make them functional was a bit of a turnoff there. I also didn't like that it wasn't one solid unit, and had seen reports of them being overwhelmed with slow response times. Buzz was very close to getting my money, especially being stainless. They would have been a little more expensive and their lead times were longer, too because of waiting for US stock. If Ryan would have been willing to ship a pair from the UK it would have been a done deal but OK4WD quoted me Feb-March. I found LeTech to be very responsive, and I trusted their quality. Having seen others have problems mounting their Black Sheep's and Urban's (The Urbans were never a consideration), was enough to give me pause about a new maker, and I didn't want to go through a wait only to not be able to mount them. There haven't been any issues with people mounting the Buzz sliders, but if I get a bad batch I'm hosed.

Ultimately my wife and kids needed the steps ASAP (My wife got in the truck once and said she wouldn't ride with me until I got steps) and LeTech was able to get it done. I admit there are a few compromises. 1) Not stainless. 2) The holes may compromise strength, but I don't think by much based on their structure and having included Hi-Lift points.

Someone pointed out on a FB post that the stainless Hi-Lift points may snag on rocks. I doubt it. They're maybe 3mm thick. They are more removable than the Black Sheep steps and will be more likely to go back on if there is rock damage to the slider. Nothing against Black Sheep. I have ordered their CTEK plate and rear inside MOLLE panels.

Last edited:

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Still need to swap in the new mirror but wanted to at least get the rear cables hidden. I popped off the upper window trim, and loosened enough of the lower door trim to tuck excess in there. Tried using a fish to pull the cable through the upper trim but there was too much stuff to make it work. I may pop a hole or 2 in to clean things up a bit, but there are also grommets all along the door which might be nice to run the cable through. Didn't probe them.

IMG_9237.jpegIMG_9235.jpeg
Also discovered that the ARB rechargeable light I have works great as an overhead for the cargo area.
IMG_9236.jpeg

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just ran my rear camera wiring. I ran the wiring through all of the factory wiring looms and grommets up to the top. The one between the door in the back of the vehicle was a pain in the you know what. Lithium grease helped slide it through after about the fourth try

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just ran my rear camera wiring. I ran the wiring through all of the factory wiring looms and grommets up to the top. The one between the door in the back of the vehicle was a pain in the you know what. Lithium grease helped slide it through after about the fourth try
I made note of it but ran out of time. Had to finish the ribs before the game.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Swapped in the new Wolfbox mirror. So far no rattles. Fingers crossed.

I ordered some Rigid SR-Q scene lights to run on the side rails. I plan to put one on the light bar point on the right, and one on the left. That way I can control them independently. If I add more lights to the front they'll go on the bumper or bullbar.

Finally, a couple apache 2800 cases showed up. One will hopefully hold my ARB single canister compressor, and the other a mobile radio separate from the one I plan to install permanently. Have to decide which of the Yaesu FTM-500D and the Kenwood TM-D701GA goes where.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Very interested to know how the Wolfbox holds on the 16mm adapter. I just ordered them!

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Very interested to know how the Wolfbox holds on the 16mm adapter. I just ordered them!
They hold great. The switch to the new mirror was easy peasy with the kit too. Unfortunately the new mirror's power button rattles too. 🤬 I guess I'll have to try to find some sort of putty or something to calm it down.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Got in the MXT275 radio. Body is much smaller than the 575 I sent back, and should fit under the passenger dash with some creative mounting. I decided to put the Yaesu FTM-500DR in the Grenadier, since the radio is more modern than the Kenwood and has the mic jack and speaker in the faceplate. Only have to run the antenna cable to either the side rail or bullbar, and one ethernet cable to the dash. I have some lido mount gear to play with to figure out mounting on that one. Have a really busy week at work coming up, but should still have some time to figure some stuff out.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@DaveB, could you post some pictures of the front of your steps where they meet the side protection bars? I think there is a bracket that attaches the 2 via a vertical face on the front of the step that I don't have. There's gotta be a way to make it work but I'd like to see the intended setup before I take the plunge.

Regalz

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
1:22 AM
Reaction score
What does one do when the wife gives them tasks that keep the fun stuff from getting stuff done on the weekend? You do it Monday. Today I donned my Swazi Hood and Rossi boots and installed the Bullbar. I had planned to have my son start the bolts off, but the top plate of the bar has enough of a plastic shroud that I wasn't too concerned with scratching the bumper, and the bolts go through the front. I masked off the front of the truck with a trusty old Mexican blanket, and set to work. The bar is hefty but not so much that it can't be a one man job. Basically I lifted it onto the bumper and started off the drivers side bolts while leaning against the passenger bracket. Then I moved to the passenger bolts and put those in (the top head stripped but is tight enough that I'm not worried). Torqued those down to the specs in the manual then moved on to the bottom bracket.
View attachment 7841636
These things are assholes. The instructions have you tighten them down before installing the bumper, but there is some lateral adjustability to them and I needed to loosen them up to get the bolts in. Only 3 of the 4 would thread and they aren't like the Urban bumpers that people are using ratchet straps to get on. If I want to get the 4th bolt in I'll probably need to drill out the hole. It's on there solid so I will likely leave it.
View attachment 7841637
Overall even with the hiccups on the bottom brackets it was maybe a 30 minute install plus the 2 minutes Friday night to remove the plastic cover plates to see what it looked like underneath.
View attachment 7841641
View attachment 7841640
Some people asked for pictures of the bar before install. I remembered to take pictures of the brackets (and did a 3d photo scan) but forgot to get one of the whole bar. You can see the bar was pretty well packed with lots of dense foam sheeting.
View attachment 7841642
View attachment 7841643
And now for the finished product and a glamour shot of my trusty Mexican blanket.
View attachment 7841644

View attachment 7841646
View attachment 7841651
Thanks for being the guinea pig Bruce, I followed suit and am expecting delivery on Monday. Do you happen to know the diameter of the tubing on the bar?

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for being the guinea pig Bruce, I followed suit and am expecting delivery on Monday. Do you happen to know the diameter of the tubing on the bar?
I have it as 2 inches.
IMG_9262.jpeg
And for the metric folks...
IMG_9261.jpeg

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:22 PM
Reaction score
@DaveB, could you post some pictures of the front of your steps where they meet the side protection bars? I think there is a bracket that attaches the 2 via a vertical face on the front of the step that I don't have. There's gotta be a way to make it work but I'd like to see the intended setup before I take the plunge.
Will do in the morning

Back
Top Bottom