The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Build Thread Bruce's build

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:50 AM
Reaction score
Now that my Grenadier is at home, I've decided to post a build thread so I can keep track of the modifications I do and post simple reviews of gear I try out. I may post first in relevant threads elsewhere in the forum, then link the post here to keep things easy to find for me. Here's the Grenadier stock.

IMG_8979j.jpg

This post is going to be long since first I'll start with a bit of an introduction on how my Grenadier journey has gone so far. I've lusted after the Defender and Series Land Rovers for a long time ever since I was a young boy watching nature documentaries. A friend of a friend in college had a yellow NAS D90 which probably set the hook. After doing the young guy thing and having a couple sporty cars, a 2016 4Runner was my first 4X4. While I mostly got it as the kids no longer fit into my E90 M3. I quickly began to appreciate the capabilities of the Toyota on muddy roads while waterfowl hunting or in the snow, and became a 4x4 guy for life.

I'm not sure where I first heard about the Grenadier project, but it was early on, well before there were any sketches or even a name. It probably wasn't long after I got my 4Runner as I had this news article bookmarked.

Eventually I got fatigued with the 4Runner's aging drivetrain and looks, and began looking for alternatives. I kept looking for an affordable Defender, while awaiting news of the Grenadier, 6th gen 4Runner, LC300, and watched what was happening in the truck space. I at one point had a reservation on a Bronco and came very close to winning a D90 on Bringatrailer. We were heading out of cell coverage in Rocky Mountain National Park when I placed my bid so I wasn't sure if I'd won or not until we left the park. I was annoyed that I would have likely won if we were at home. Here's the D90 that almost was, and looking back at it I can see why I went the way I did with my Grenadier.

D90.jpg

Things fell into place with Toyota not bringing the LC300 to the US (the Lexus is too precious), me deciding I didn't want to daily a Defender or large pickup, and the 4Runner still isn't here. I placed my reservation immediately when they opened up, and was able to kick the tires when the early prototypes went on tour in the US. Meeting Greg Clark and some of the Ineos team at that event was fantastic and they really sold me on the dream while keeping my expectations for price and MPG in check.

PXL_20220202_002736886.MP.jpg

Once pre-orders opened up I again couldn't wait to make my choices. I had a hard time settling on many things until the off-road driving event. For features I definitely wanted 17s, so the Fieldmaster was out. Building a base wagon up didn't save much money once I put everything in, and I suspected the Belstaff editions might have better resale if it didn't work out for me so Trialmaster it was. It had almost everything I wanted feature wise and nothing I didn't. I knew I wanted the safari windows and the checker plates, and after some debate opted for the heat reflectve glass as well.

The things I couldn't decide on were color, wheels, and seats. I liked the Sela Green, Scottish White, and Britannia Blue the most in photos, but seeing them in person at the offroad event I felt the Britannia would show scratches and the cursed Seattle pollen too well (My M3 was blue). The Eldoret was very nice and moved into it's spot in the top 3. There wasn't a Sela at the event and the painted Jerry can just didn't quite prove to me that the color was right for me. Eldoret was very cool but I felt it might be a little flashy for me. Had I seen the pictures of the white steelies before deciding I would have definitely gone Eldoret (To the point that I asked my dealer if any of their cancellations were Eldoret Trialmasters before finalizing the deal on my pre-ordered spec). Scottish White won out.

I plan on keeping the Grenadier for as long as I can. I keep my cars around 7-8 years on average so far, and only trade up when I get bored. With how excited I was about the Grenadier, I decided to opt for leather which I feel holds up better over time, and the alloys, which look nice on the truck and should also hold up well.

I enjoyed the process of tracking the vehicle as it crossed over from Zeebruge. It would have been nice to get the same alerts as when I custom ordered my M3, where I could check in with a hotline and they'd tell me the car was painted today, in the wheels shop, etc. Ineos, if you're reading this, more granular updates would be great. European delivery would be even better.

My dealer is @ElliottBayINEOSGrenadier . Initially I worked with Earl, who moved to another dealership before my truck arrived. I was reassigned to Jacob, who was attentive throughout the process. I posted my experience with EB in their dealer thread, so I'll just link that here.

Beginning with little projects, but I'll post here when things get started.

Last edited:

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No big mods yet but I have compiled a list of most of the small bits that I've ordered. Here are some mini-reviews.

3M protection film for the door sills. GOOD, BUT THERE MAY BE BETTER OPTIONS. It's barely visible on the Scottish White. It's not enough length for all 4 doors so you need 2 rolls. I kind of went crazy on the back doors because that's where the kids get in and out. In order to make it look more symmetric (not that anyone notices) I ordered a couple rolls of the XPEL black stuff which I will try to put on instead as a more permanent solution. Mostly need to replace some of it because I have some ripples in my install because I didn't take my time. I'll put up a new post when I get the XPEL on, but the 3M doesn't show up in photos very well.

Cargo fittings from US Cargo Control. RECOMMENDED. I got some threaded posts that I can use for bolting things to the track, and some more tiedown loops. The tiedowns look almost identical to the ones that came with the vehicle.

Padded pouch to hold mounting hardware. RECOMMENDED. I don't need all these bits mounted all the time so I got this pouch to store them. Padded, which is nice as it keeps them from rattling a bit better, and it should hold up well.

Ignition glow ring. DO NOT BUY. I ordered this before I got the Grenadier based on people saying they needed it. The welcome lights were enough light for me to know where the keyhole is but now I can find it by feel. Good thing because this glow ring is a piece of junk. The adhesive is terrible and it doesn't stay on. I threw it away and won't get another.

Cupholder expander. MEH. It fits and has a little security cubby under the wider cupholder but it's not that great. I've taken to throwing my nalgene on the passenger seat for now and ordered a soft cooler to carry smaller drinks with me if I need them. Most cans and coffee cups fit in the holders for me but yeti ramblers will need a solution.

Reese Hitch Step. Seems like it's well built. Kids will appreciate the step up into the back or up onto the ladder. I anticipate it will also give a better idea of depth when I'm backing up into a parking spot. Already have a little gouge on the rear wheel cover from my first trip to work. Now I just need my tow hitch to be installed so I can use it.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Will try the XPEL product. Half off or so at Amazon right now. thanks for the suggestion. Door edge keeps hitting my garage wall, and I kept meaning to do something about it.
XPEL door film
I am waiting on a quote from my dealers wrap guy to do a pro job on this and the sills but if he doesn't get back to me I'll probably try this. I had similar protection on my 4runner and it held up well and protected the edges. Let me know how the door edges go!

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Installed my wheel locks today, at least on the ones on the ground. The McGard 24515 set is what I used. The locks are longer than the stock nuts, but once on they don't stand too proud. The other set I looked at was the 24510, but they're even longer. The 24515's are 1.639".
nuts.jpg
proud.jpg

Also sorted out my need for using the phone to open the garage door. I'll probably velcro this guy somewhere inconspicuous.

GDO.jpg

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:50 AM
Reaction score
No big mods yet but I have compiled a list of most of the small bits that I've ordered. Here are some mini-reviews.

3M protection film for the door sills. GOOD, BUT THERE MAY BE BETTER OPTIONS. It's barely visible on the Scottish White. It's not enough length for all 4 doors so you need 2 rolls. I kind of went crazy on the back doors because that's where the kids get in and out. In order to make it look more symmetric (not that anyone notices) I ordered a couple rolls of the XPEL black stuff which I will try to put on instead as a more permanent solution. Mostly need to replace some of it because I have some ripples in my install because I didn't take my time. I'll put up a new post when I get the XPEL on, but the 3M doesn't show up in photos very well.

Cargo fittings from US Cargo Control. RECOMMENDED. I got some threaded posts that I can use for bolting things to the track, and some more tiedown loops. The tiedowns look almost identical to the ones that came with the vehicle.

Padded pouch to hold mounting hardware. RECOMMENDED. I don't need all these bits mounted all the time so I got this pouch to store them. Padded, which is nice as it keeps them from rattling a bit better, and it should hold up well.

Ignition glow ring. DO NOT BUY. I ordered this before I got the Grenadier based on people saying they needed it. The welcome lights were enough light for me to know where the keyhole is but now I can find it by feel. Good thing because this glow ring is a piece of junk. The adhesive is terrible and it doesn't stay on. I threw it away and won't get another.

Cupholder expander. MEH. It fits and has a little security cubby under the wider cupholder but it's not that great. I've taken to throwing my nalgene on the passenger seat for now and ordered a soft cooler to carry smaller drinks with me if I need them. Most cans and coffee cups fit in the holders for me but yeti ramblers will need a solution.

Reese Hitch Step. Seems like it's well built. Kids will appreciate the step up into the back or up onto the ladder. I anticipate it will also give a better idea of depth when I'm backing up into a parking spot. Already have a little gouge on the rear wheel cover from my first trip to work. Now I just need my tow hitch to be installed so I can use it.

I can attest to these two items -

Xpel is easy to install and gives a great look. Very forgiving product. 5 minute install - Eyeball how much length you need, cut, peel, stick, roll the edge over and use a blade to cut at bottom sill. Repeat.

Ignition glow ring 100% sucks. Doesn't glow ever. Doesn't stick worth a crap.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mail call!
bullbar.JPG
Time will tell if I regret this or not, but after a few emails I found a source for the factory bull bar in Australia that was willing to ship one to me in the US. The price on the bar itself was the same as the cost to spec it during the build so I was happy with that. Shipping was a bear (think set of new tires expensive) but not as bad as I thought with how big it is. It would probably have been smarter to wait for Leitner (Their rack looks great) or someone else to make a US produced bar, but I like the look of the factory bar. I figured as long as it survived shipping, fitment should be good.

Now to find some muscle to help with the install.

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mail call!
View attachment 7841183
Time will tell if I regret this or not, but after a few emails I found a source for the factory bull bar in Australia that was willing to ship one to me in the US. The price on the bar itself was the same as the cost to spec it during the build so I was happy with that. Shipping was a bear (think set of new tires expensive) but not as bad as I thought with how big it is. It would probably have been smarter to wait for Leitner (Their rack looks great) or someone else to make a US produced bar, but I like the look of the factory bar. I figured as long as it survived shipping, fitment should be good.

Now to find some muscle to help with the install.
Another reason you live on the wrong side of the state besides RTA taxes, I'm at least 4 + hours away, I have beer and tools and just enough DIY mechanical know-how to be dangerous. Hmm, maybe its good I don't live closer. Good luck with the install.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think what I'll do is have my son drop the screws in while I hold it up. Can also use jack stands to help with the weight, although I was able to pick up the whole thing by the cargo straps and carry it to the car. I plan to protect the front end with blankets, and the bumper surfaces with paper or mask them off with tape to avoid carnage.

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Installed my wheel locks today, at least on the ones on the ground. The McGard 24515 set is what I used. The locks are longer than the stock nuts, but once on they don't stand too proud. The other set I looked at was the 24510, but they're even longer. The 24515's are 1.639".
View attachment 7840966
View attachment 7840968

Also sorted out my need for using the phone to open the garage door. I'll probably velcro this guy somewhere inconspicuous.

View attachment 7840967
This is exactly what I did, you would have to look hard in my truck to find it. Although home link is convenient, it is right there in plain sight and everybody knows what it does, maybe a false sense of security on my part, but if the truck is in the drive and i forget to lock it for whatever reason, its going to take a bit for someone to figure out where the opener is for the garage door.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OK. Lots of PM's on Facebook and figured I'd rather forum members get first crack at the connection. If people want to roll the dice like I did here goes.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't installed it yet. It's still in a box in the garage, so I don't know if I've made a massive mistake or not. Don't blame me if it sets off your front parking sensors after you spend a bunch of money.
Box.JPG
I ordered the bull bar through Expedition HQ in Queensland. Warwick Boswerger was the connection. shop@expeditionhq.com.au. Tell him Adam in Seattle sent you. I ordered a set of the XSPEC sun shades for my safari windows a month or so ago and since it was an easy deal and they're an Agent I figured I'd ask if they had a bar and could ship it. Their initial quotes were a bit more for ocean freight with a 40 day trip just to get it to LA plus time to truck it up from there. He then checked with DHL and it was around 1100 US for DHL express shipping (Like 3 days to my door), and the cost for the part was MSRP $2510 AUD or so. $95 duty paid through DHL. Total around 2800 USD. Paying so much required olympic tier mental gymnastics, I know.
Team Usa Sport GIF by Olympics

Here goes the math. I'd easily spend $200 on bull bar shipping domestically and it wouldn't be the factory part. Add in the fact I'd probably pay sales tax of a couple hundred on whatever I choose and have an untested part rather than factory. After accounting for everything I decided to go for it.
$1200 shipping and duty
-$800 tow pack
-$200 domestic shipping
-$120 tax
+Impulse control of a 10 year old
=
andy samberg yolo GIF

I'll post more once I've done the install.

MurphyMurph

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Enjoyed reading your posts on your journey so far and parts you’ve bought so far. Looking forward to seeing the installed bull bar. Hopefully the install goes smooth with no issues.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What does one do when the wife gives them tasks that keep the fun stuff from getting stuff done on the weekend? You do it Monday. Today I donned my Swazi Hood and Rossi boots and installed the Bullbar. I had planned to have my son start the bolts off, but the top plate of the bar has enough of a plastic shroud that I wasn't too concerned with scratching the bumper, and the bolts go through the front. I masked off the front of the truck with a trusty old Mexican blanket, and set to work. The bar is hefty but not so much that it can't be a one man job. Basically I lifted it onto the bumper and started off the drivers side bolts while leaning against the passenger bracket. Then I moved to the passenger bolts and put those in (the top head stripped but is tight enough that I'm not worried). Torqued those down to the specs in the manual then moved on to the bottom bracket.
bottom bracket.JPG
These things are assholes. The instructions have you tighten them down before installing the bumper, but there is some lateral adjustability to them and I needed to loosen them up to get the bolts in. Only 3 of the 4 would thread and they aren't like the Urban bumpers that people are using ratchet straps to get on. If I want to get the 4th bolt in I'll probably need to drill out the hole. It's on there solid so I will likely leave it.
IMG_9129.JPG
Overall even with the hiccups on the bottom brackets it was maybe a 30 minute install plus the 2 minutes Friday night to remove the plastic cover plates to see what it looked like underneath.
IMG_9112.JPG
IMG_9108.JPG
Some people asked for pictures of the bar before install. I remembered to take pictures of the brackets (and did a 3d photo scan) but forgot to get one of the whole bar. You can see the bar was pretty well packed with lots of dense foam sheeting.
IMG_9125.JPG
IMG_9126.JPG
And now for the finished product and a glamour shot of my trusty Mexican blanket.
headon.JPG

masked.JPG
angle.JPG

Last edited:

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks @Offroad. I know you were one of the guys that had asked for pics so let me know if there's anything else you need. I forgot to take measurements to note whether there was significant sag or not but I doubt it. The whole piece didn't feel too heavy.

It does not interfere with PDC.
pdc.JPG

Offroad

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:50 AM
Reaction score
Thanks @Offroad. I know you were one of the guys that had asked for pics so let me know if there's anything else you need. I forgot to take measurements to note whether there was significant sag or not but I doubt it. The whole piece didn't feel too heavy.

It does not interfere with PDC.
View attachment 7841652
No problem. It looks amazing, as I mentioned before!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom