The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Build Thread Bruce's build

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:49 PM
Reaction score
Started tearing down the dash to install the Midland MXT575. I couldn't find a way to get the body to fit. I reached out to Midland and even though I bought it in November, they're letting me exchange it for the smaller MXT275. Honoring my Black Friday coupon still too. The price difference is letting me get a nice antenna and bullbar mount too. I'll leave the puzzle pieces out for now and put some connections on the footwell power when I have a chance.
IMG_9153.jpeg

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is fantastic!! Thanks for being probably one of the first Guinea Pigs to take the plunge on this! 2k really isn't horrible considering that you will spend that on a new ARB winch bumper and then be stuck with the factory bumper and related parts. I am tempted to do the same thing when I get my MM and just have them throw in the side bars in and combine the shipping.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:49 AM
Reaction score
I have LeTech steps/sliders en route. Once I have them in hand I can see if they'd be compatible with the side barwork, but parking spots are so tight here I'm not sure I'd be able to go anywhere! If I still lived in Texas I'd be all over it.
If you don't put the side bars on it is like you are admitted that you have size issues.
they are very manly

FlyersFan76

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:49 PM
Reaction score
Installed my wheel locks today, at least on the ones on the ground. The McGard 24515 set is what I used. The locks are longer than the stock nuts, but once on they don't stand too proud. The other set I looked at was the 24510, but they're even longer. The 24515's are 1.639".
View attachment 7840966
View attachment 7840968

Also sorted out my need for using the phone to open the garage door. I'll probably velcro this guy somewhere inconspicuous.

View attachment 7840967

I was considering adding the homelink garage door opener to the over head dash but I velcroed my remote to the safari window area.

Last edited:

FlyersFan76

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OK. Lots of PM's on Facebook and figured I'd rather forum members get first crack at the connection. If people want to roll the dice like I did here goes.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't installed it yet. It's still in a box in the garage, so I don't know if I've made a massive mistake or not. Don't blame me if it sets off your front parking sensors after you spend a bunch of money.
View attachment 7841193
I ordered the bull bar through Expedition HQ in Queensland. Warwick Boswerger was the connection. shop@expeditionhq.com.au. Tell him Adam in Seattle sent you. I ordered a set of the XSPEC sun shades for my safari windows a month or so ago and since it was an easy deal and they're an Agent I figured I'd ask if they had a bar and could ship it. Their initial quotes were a bit more for ocean freight with a 40 day trip just to get it to LA plus time to truck it up from there. He then checked with DHL and it was around 1100 US for DHL express shipping (Like 3 days to my door), and the cost for the part was MSRP $2510 AUD or so. $95 duty paid through DHL. Total around 2800 USD. Paying so much required olympic tier mental gymnastics, I know.
Team Usa Sport GIF by Olympics

Here goes the math. I'd easily spend $200 on bull bar shipping domestically and it wouldn't be the factory part. Add in the fact I'd probably pay sales tax of a couple hundred on whatever I choose and have an untested part rather than factory. After accounting for everything I decided to go for it.
$1200 shipping and duty
-$800 tow pack
-$200 domestic shipping
-$120 tax
+Impulse control of a 10 year old
=
andy samberg yolo GIF

I'll post more once I've done the install.
That makes sense to me also. Shipping for my Safari Gard front bumper for my Defender was $ 350 to ship from Florida. So 1100 from the other side of the planet seems justifiable.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you don't put the side bars on it is like you are admitted that you have size issues.
they are very manly
If they're compatible I'll consider them. Didn't make much sense to pay another grand for a part I may not be able to use because of the LeTech sliders, and nobody else can either if the US customers don't have a suitable front bar. They'll also make the small parking lots here tougher because of the added nose width. The turning circle is already bad enough.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If they're compatible I'll consider them. Didn't make much sense to pay another grand for a part I may not be able to use because of the LeTech sliders, and nobody else can either if the US customers don't have a suitable front bar. They'll also make the small parking lots here tougher because of the added nose width. The turning circle is already bad enough.
swinging into shopping centre car parks often takes 2-3 attempts.
Reversing in however is very easy and the most common way to park.
Width is a problem and I usually park to the left of a parking space.
To me the side steps are essential when getting in and out in parking lots.
You don't need to open the door anywhere near as wide.
The side bars are often referred to as brush bars but i have them o protect the front wings from car doors and because kangaroos, emu's, deer, camels and other wildlife often come in from the side of the road and don't always hit the front of the vehicle.

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Pretty sure from the instructions that they are compatible with the factory sliders.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
swinging into shopping centre car parks often takes 2-3 attempts.
Reversing in however is very easy and the most common way to park.
Width is a problem and I usually park to the left of a parking space.
To me the side steps are essential when getting in and out in parking lots.
You don't need to open the door anywhere near as wide.
The side bars are often referred to as brush bars but i have them o protect the front wings from car doors and because kangaroos, emu's, deer, camels and other wildlife often come in from the side of the road and don't always hit the front of the vehicle.
Here it almost seems there is an ordinance that parking spots have to be no larger than a Prius. When I visit other parts of the country it's incredible that the parking can fit an F350 better than my Grenadier does here. Very car hostile city where they do moronic things like build 120 unit apartment buildings and only include 20 parking spots. I can't get a rack or bigger tires because garages are low. Lucky to have 7 feet at work and home. I also back in wherever possible. The door dings are exactly why I consider steps a must have despite not needing them to get in or out, but nobody's bagged a fender for me yet. Fortunately the guys at Expedition HQ didn't smuggle any roos over in the crate. The LeTech sliders are here in a week or so and once I see their mounts I may ask you to post photos of the mounting setup on the side bars. Fingers crossed they'll fit.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Started the wolfbox G900 install. Have the mirror head mounted with ball adapters and a backplate from Amazon. Had to grab the kids from school so I'll do the wiring later this week. The rearview mirror function without power is a little dim, and the power button rattles at idle. There's a little vibration when you drive too, which I'll have to get to. I will probably run it with the wires exposed for a bit to see if I can tolerate the vibrations, otherwise I'll unmount it until a better mounting solution comes along.

The stock retaining ring is easily popped off with a thin screwdriver then the mirror just pulls straight off. You'll need a 16mm ball socket to Wolfbox adapter setup to get it mounted like this.

Wolfbox unplugged.JPG

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Did u try mounting with the straps and not removing the stock mirror? I’m considering getting one and not sure how I want to mount it.

OverlandGearGuy

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Local time
2:49 PM
Reaction score
What does one do when the wife gives them tasks that keep the fun stuff from getting stuff done on the weekend? You do it Monday. Today I donned my Swazi Hood and Rossi boots and installed the Bullbar. I had planned to have my son start the bolts off, but the top plate of the bar has enough of a plastic shroud that I wasn't too concerned with scratching the bumper, and the bolts go through the front. I masked off the front of the truck with a trusty old Mexican blanket, and set to work. The bar is hefty but not so much that it can't be a one man job. Basically I lifted it onto the bumper and started off the drivers side bolts while leaning against the passenger bracket. Then I moved to the passenger bolts and put those in (the top head stripped but is tight enough that I'm not worried). Torqued those down to the specs in the manual then moved on to the bottom bracket.
View attachment 7841636
These things are assholes. The instructions have you tighten them down before installing the bumper, but there is some lateral adjustability to them and I needed to loosen them up to get the bolts in. Only 3 of the 4 would thread and they aren't like the Urban bumpers that people are using ratchet straps to get on. If I want to get the 4th bolt in I'll probably need to drill out the hole. It's on there solid so I will likely leave it.
View attachment 7841637
Overall even with the hiccups on the bottom brackets it was maybe a 30 minute install plus the 2 minutes Friday night to remove the plastic cover plates to see what it looked like underneath.
View attachment 7841641
View attachment 7841640
Some people asked for pictures of the bar before install. I remembered to take pictures of the brackets (and did a 3d photo scan) but forgot to get one of the whole bar. You can see the bar was pretty well packed with lots of dense foam sheeting.
View attachment 7841642
View attachment 7841643
And now for the finished product and a glamour shot of my trusty Mexican blanket.
View attachment 7841644

View attachment 7841646
View attachment 7841651
Love the bull bar, Great job

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Did u try mounting with the straps and not removing the stock mirror? I’m considering getting one and not sure how I want to mount it.
No. I had a few concerns with using the stock setup. 1. The hard surfaces bracketed together causing a rattle. 2. There's a lot of vehicle prowling here. Having it look like 1 piece seemer less likely to invite a broken window. 3. If there's a method that looks more custom I usually prefer it.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was considering adding the homelink garage door opener to the over head dash but I velcroed my remote to the safari window area.
Garage remote controls in cars are really popular in Australia. With thieves.
people will often leave their vehicles parked in their driveway or at the curb and you may as well leave your house keys on the driveway.
Put the remote somewhere that it can't be seen through the windows.

Back
Top Bottom