The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Alu-Cab Roof Conversion Build Out Ideas

Wile E Coyote

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:50 PM
Reaction score
Quick update, I took a leap of faith and pre-ordered the Alu-Cab conversion. Should have the IG in the next few weeks, then I’ll do the Goose Gear rear seat delete/platform, camp out of it through the summer to see how I want to build out the interior, then do the Alu-Cab conversion when it’s available, hopefully Q3-Q4.

Looking forward to others ideas on similar builds.

Hi ADVer, what is the benefit of the rear seat delete over buying the 2 seat version?

DezRoamer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:50 AM
Reaction score
Quick update, I took a leap of faith and pre-ordered the Alu-Cab conversion. Should have the IG in the next few weeks, then I’ll do the Goose Gear rear seat delete/platform, camp out of it through the summer to see how I want to build out the interior, then do the Alu-Cab conversion when it’s available, hopefully Q3-Q4.

I'll be keeping an eye on your build. It sounds great.

I've owned and used so many different types of campers but never anything like the AluCab conversion. It has my interest but at age 65, I've went back to what I was doing at age 20. Sleeping in a tent or under the awning. But now every truck I build will have a fridge. And my tent does have a wood burning stove! Is it easy to make and break camp? Not even,, but there's something to be said when off the main track, camped in the bush where my 4 wheel drive has taken me on a chilly fall night. Waking up before the sun rises, starting a fire in the stove and enjoying a hot tea. Seeing the day begin.

Every truck build has compromises. Once certain decisions are made then we're committed. It isn't about a right or wrong decision. It comes down to the money we need to spend to build that dream and the joy we get in return. I've had regrets about the financial investments I've made in my life when it comes to vehicle builds, and I've lost more than I care to admit. But the experiences, and the memories, totally worth it to me!

Last edited:

ADVer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:50 AM
Reaction score
I'll be keeping an eye on your build. It sounds great.

I've owned and used so many different types of campers but never anything like the AluCab conversion. It has my interest but at age 65, I've went back to what I was doing at age 20. Sleeping in a tent or under the awning. But now every truck I build will have a fridge. And my tent does have a wood burning stove! Is it easy to make and break camp? Not even,, but there's something to be said when off the main track, camped in the bush where my 4 wheel drive has taken me on a chilly fall night. Waking up before the sun rises, starting a fire in the stove and enjoying a hot tea. Seeing the day begin.

Every truck build has compromises. Once certain decisions are made then we're committed. It isn't about a right or wrong decision. It comes down to the money we need to spend to build that dream and the joy we get in return. I've had regrets about the financial investments I've made in my life when it comes to vehicle builds, and I've lost more than I care to admit. But the experiences, and the memories, totally worth it to me!
@DezRomer Thanks for the comments and I 100% agree on everything you said. I also have no experience with the Alu-Cab builds, the closest I’ve gotten is with a Ford E350 pop top Sportsmobile and a built out 80 series Landcruiser, and a few others. And yes, they all had compromises, and may not have had a great ROI, but worth every penny in the experiences and memories they provided.

What’s key at this point is simplicity and relative comfort. If I meet these two design goals I will not hesitate to head out at any time of year for as short or long as I want. I want to get to a point where it’s a matter of loading up food and water and hitting the road. Once I arrive at camp, pop the top, setup a chair and table, pull a cold one out of the fridge and enjoy my surroundings. Same thing next morning after a good nights sleep, just replacing the beer with a steaming hot cup of coffee.

Good times ahead!

Local time
11:50 AM
Reaction score
We are very interested in getting the AluCab conversion
Already have our Queens Red Trialmaster - gave ours a mud bath baptism on our favorite trail on the way home from the dealer. Unfortunately the rain washed off most. Had so much mud I could not see out the driver side window. Interesting the passenger side was clear?
A friend is an AluCab dealer, they have their Grenadier and will be doing the conversion.
Big question we have is how the IG's roof is attached. Both the Land Rover and Toyota have bolt on roofs, believe the IG's is welded. If so there is a bigger commitment to getting the IG conversion where the roof has to be cut off then simply unbolted. AluCab makes a thing about with the others you get to take home your original roof!
Does anyone know for certain how the IGs roof is attached?
View attachment 7841688
IG should buy that photo from you. It's a corker.

Local time
Reaction score
If I am interpreting the video correctly the camper top will be fixed to the vehicle using the OEM roof handle mounting points. This is great design execution by Alucab and creates a true mechanical connection using load bearing factory mounting points, 24 fasteners in total, 12 per side.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score

I'm torn between 2024 Tacoma/Alu-Cab canopy and Grenadier/roof conversion. I'm on graded road, country road, highway, flat beach, coast to coast for weeks at a time. "Shoulder season" mud and deep snow. I need storage and want some convenience. I've vowed to get stand-up space this time around.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm torn between 2024 Tacoma/Alu-Cab canopy and Grenadier/roof conversion. I'm on graded road, country road, highway, flat beach, coast to coast for weeks at a time. "Shoulder season" mud and deep snow. I need storage and want some convenience. I've vowed to get stand-up space this time around.
Those are two different vehicles from several aspects (not just the PU v wagon) - what considerations are on your mind. The new Taco is a stunner - especially in the TRD and Trailhunter trims.

Local time
Reaction score
Those are two different vehicles from several aspects (not just the PU v wagon) - what considerations are on your mind. The new Taco is a stunner - especially in the TRD and Trailhunter trims.
Current camper/daily driver is a 2009 Taco ACLB MT TRD Off-Road with 150,000 mi. I know, barely broken in and a classic. It has a 29" ARE contractor cap which I like a lot. Simple, Stealthy. The PVC awning I made is clever but tedious to set up. I had the truck at the Grenadier event last May but took off right after the demo drive so missed everybody. One factor is that the local dealer here is both Grenadier and Alu-Cab.

Attachments

• taco dewey bridge small.JPG
    taco dewey bridge small.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 17
  • the annex 1 small.jpg
    the annex 1 small.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 17

TWExplor

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had the same dilemma. At first I was going to go with the 24 Tacoma Trailhunter and Alu-Cab Canopy Camper. But after I walked around the Trailhunter at Overland Expo East I thought it was going to be too small in the interior. I had a 2010 Taco that I liked but could never see out the front windshield well enough. The rear view mirror obscured the entire right side of my view. With that said until I discovered the Grenadier I was thinking I would just get a full size pickup and add the Alu-Cab.
After looking at the possibilities with doing a conversion and build out of the Grenadier it changed my mind. Plus we wanted to have direct access to the entire build from inside the main area of the vehicle and not have to go to the truck bed (plus everything that entails with heating and cooling etc).
The potential layout configurations that are possible for the interior on the Gren are vast. Doing the rear seat delete and adding some sort of full floor (Goose gear is interesting) gives lots of options. This also allows for our “furry” travel companion a place to stretch out and sleep on a bench/bed. Our dog isn’t big but he likes to sprawl out!

Your use case may vary. Either choice will be exciting and will give you lots of capability and convenience!

Local time
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards Gren/Alu-Cab because of access front to back. I want the fully opening rear doors instead of the Alu-Cab "container" door on the truck canopy version. And windows. I wish the Alu-Cab pop-up opened up from the inside like the Mulgo but I assume it will be like the Icarus and Thor.

Back
Top Bottom