The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Build Quality

Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
A tempest in a glass of water... Brigitte Bardot had horrible nails... :)
No one's saying its a tempest :) Just talking about two little cubby doors in the back of the vehicle, and the fact that they are not built to last in a vehicle that is supposed to be built to last. It was part of a larger conversation about the quality of interior plastics. No one is suggesting that the Grenadier is a terrible vehicle because a couple of cubby doors and their fasteners are made from cheap plastics.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Re: the plastics. The only plastics I find unacceptable - be it in a $70,000 car or in a $50,000 car - are in the very back of the car, where there are two plastic "doors" to little storage cubbies. One is on your left as you are looking into the back of the vehicle (behind the left rear wheel-well), and one is on the large rear door (where the little pop-down table would go if you ordered one). Both of these are the cheapest plastics I have ever seen in any vehicle, maybe ever. The one on the rear door is worse than the one behind the left wheel-well. It is absurdly flimsy, and the little dials you turn to fasten or unfasten it are borderline useless. The plastic fasteners for this little plastic door are pathetic. In stunning contrast, the rear doors of the Grenadier open and close with a tremendous sense of quality. Of course, the rear doors are far more important than those little plastic cubby-doors, but I was really surprised at just how bad the plastic was in these two spots.

I also would have to say, that the shiny black piano trim on the inside of the four side doors in the Grenadier just doesn't make any sense. Its like some weird attempt to have up-scale trim in a vehicle that you are supposed to be able to wash out with a hose. This black trim, the transmission shifter, and the big screen, all feel like something out of an Audi S7 or the like, while the manual hand brake and the manual transfer case lever feel like things that actually belong in the Grenadier. Overall, it leaves me feeling like there were two different design teams for the interior, and they weren't allowed to talk to each other.
100% agreement with your first paragraph. Have bought some 4 way stretch carpet which I will bond to the rear plastics.

zvakanaka

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:30 PM
Reaction score
So test drove a new Field Master (120 Miles on it) at the dealer. Drove better than I expected with zero body roll or nose plow - and steering was better than I expected - seems it will be easy to get used to after the first return to center makes you see your life flash before you if not ready. A 3 point turn though would need a few more numbers (23 point?) as the turning radius is not quite as crisp as the current CVN-Gerald Ford class of US aircraft carriers.

While the positives were higher than the negatives - couple things stuck out to me 1) Cheap plastics on a near $100K vehicle - looks like the same level one would find in a North Korean rental car - disappointing - poor fit and finish in many places - the rear deck floor was bubbled in several places. 2) Build quality - overall very solid - great door slams - its build like a tank, very nice leather seats and rear leg room. The Rails at the roof on the other hand are an absolute embarrassment; literally looked like a 4 year old loaded with espresso who just got off a roller coaster was told to make them nice and straight - more waves over the length of the vehicle than should be allowed; Mercedes would fire someone for that level of incompetence. 3) Gas filler cover - absolute rubbish - again Ineos - have some shame. 4) Multiple warning alarms going off that even the dealer could not explain - rear seatbelt warning was going off for the first 1/2 of the drive. Very torn walking away from the drive -I truly love the concept and have been here since day 1 and really want one of these. Can even get mentally beyond the MPG of a lumber truck...
You might want to pass, just saying. Personally I can't wait for the delivery of my Fieldmaster the end of November.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have a nice smooth engine RPM range and have not noticed any vibration when driving, but I get a heavier vibration at idle (i e stopped at lights). The vibration at idle is both felt and audible. I'll ask the dealer but I think it's OK if not a little loud.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have a nice smooth engine RPM range and have not noticed any vibration when driving, but I get a heavier vibration at idle (i e stopped at lights). The vibration at idle is both felt and audible. I'll ask the dealer but I think it's OK if not a little loud.
Are you in deal or petrol?

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:30 AM
Reaction score
Exactly the same with my Grenadier (diesel).

Lovely and smooth when driving - lot's of vibration at stop, in idle & in gear.

I (and others) can feel the vibration strongly through the steering wheel and even by placing a hand on the door interior.

The vibration is more pronounced when the vehicle is at a stop on an upwards slop.

The INEOS technician at a local agent had a quick look & thinks it could be either an engine mount issue or a drivetrain mis-alignment.

He suggested it be examined in detail.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I (and others) can feel the vibration strongly through the steering wheel and even by placing a hand on the door interior.

The vibration is more pronounced when the vehicle is at a stop on an upwards slop.

The INEOS technician at a local agent had a quick look & thinks it could be either an engine mount issue or a drivetrain mis-alignment.

That's weird, my diesel seems to idle at a higher rate and therefore sound louder and vibrate a little bit more when stopped on a downhill slope. I have found the gearbox to be quite aggressive at holding lower gears (in a good way) when going downhill and assumed it was somehow tied to that.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Mine is the same as yours. I'll be getting it checked at the dealer but for now no issues other than it can wake the young ones if they are asleep.

Parked or in gear but stopped is where the vibration occurs. I'll test this in reverse later this arvo and see if gear alt has any effect.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mainly through the accelerator pedal and body and you can hear it vibrating only under load.
I may of reduced the vibration. The heat shield surrounding the air-box in the engine. Slightly bend the heat shield on the right hand side of the air-box. This will reduce vibration. Finally tap the air box on top and see if it touches against any other metal object.

shiv.nandak

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Same issue for me in the US spec petrol version. Only happens when stopped in gear on a slope (with foot on the brake). Vibration stops when I go to neutral. It's probably not anything serious since I have no vibrations or drone when driving.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Same issue for me in the US spec petrol version. Only happens when stopped in gear on a slope (with foot on the brake). Vibration stops when I go to neutral. It's probably not anything serious since I have no vibrations or drone when driving.
I find on inclines the gearbox seems to change modes and deliberately & aggressively stays in lower gears for longer, this is accompanied by a higher level of noise & vibration from the engine. I have a diesel which has otherwise settled in very nicely but the change of character on inclines is still very noticeable. I also use and like the start/stop, this stops functioning on inclines and seems to be linked to the change of gearbox behaviour.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Local time
Reaction score
I'll take a part that looks out of place, but is known to work over one that doesn't work and has to be recalled.

Seen the recall issued in Australia for the same fault in the LC300 with the 10 speed. If it can be fixed with some reprogramming it is not a real big mechanical issue. Toyota is probably reprogramming the transmission ECU to hold higher gear ratio clutches in neutral to prevent the natural drag of the transmission gear train from slowly driving the vehicle in neutral with the brakes released. In most older 4 to 6 speed auto transmissions one clutch/brake is held in neutral to allow for quick neutral to forwards and neutral to reverse selection and to keep the gear train from rotating giving rough shifts. Now that transmissions are 8, 9 and 10 speed transmissions now require more rotating gear train mass and more cluthes/brakes to be held in neutral to give the shift qualities people want.

Reactions: IGL
Back
Top Bottom