The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Build Quality

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
Steering is fine. Takes a minute and then all good. Drives well and solid. Had it on the highway doing 75-80 and cruises just fine. Big flat arm
Rest on the door is great. Apple CarPlay worked perfect. Plastic floor bits are not great, but whatever. Ordered the Urban single tube side steps today(stocked in Tennessee ) no real place to store an iPhone but will sort that. Cup holders were a concern for a lot of ppl but they got a venti ice coffee so all good there. Drives better than my 95’ defender. I won’t need a blanket on my lap in the winter like in the defender. Had a gwagon as well and this is not that dissimilar at the end of the day. The fit and finish on that was better but that’s not why I ordered the Gren. Hopefully you’ll love it. It’s not like anything else honestly.

Well said.

The rubber mats are working well in my Trialmaster to catch the unwanted and stop the slip-and-slide factor...happy motoring(y)

cjsmith

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Steering is fine. Takes a minute and then all good. Drives well and solid. Had it on the highway doing 75-80 and cruises just fine. Big flat arm
Rest on the door is great. Apple CarPlay worked perfect. Plastic floor bits are not great, but whatever. Ordered the Urban single tube side steps today(stocked in Tennessee ) no real place to store an iPhone but will sort that. Cup holders were a concern for a lot of ppl but they got a venti ice coffee so all good there. Drives better than my 95’ defender. I won’t need a blanket on my lap in the winter like in the defender. Had a gwagon as well and this is not that dissimilar at the end of the day. The fit and finish on that was better but that’s not why I ordered the Gren. Hopefully you’ll love it. It’s not like anything else honestly.
Good to hear. Another issue will be whether to get rid of the Rebel, or hold onto it for dog walking and trips to Home Depot for mulch. I guess I will see what the dealer would give me for it in trade. Thanks for your input.

cjsmith

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Well said.

The rubber mats are working well in my Trialmaster to catch the unwanted and stop the slip-and-slide factor...happy motoring(y)
I think whatever the floor issue is can be sorted with aftermarket mats or carpet. No too worried about that. Someone on here posted that the switchgear was cheap and flimsy...that's not good if true.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Look at the mechanism - not possible. It's non adjustable.

I have posted this on 'Show us your mods' page 9 post 177

I have a black wedge I made and a yellow tiler's wedge also but full details are on the other post...the tile wedge is dead simple. (y)

Attachments

• IMG_6630.mov
    1.5 MB
  • IMG_6636.jpg
    IMG_6636.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_6648.jpg
    IMG_6648.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 87

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:30 PM
Reaction score
I have posted this on 'Show us your mods' page 9 post 177

I have a black wedge I made and a yellow tiler's wedge also but full details are on the other post...the tile wedge is dead simple. (y)
Good result; I haven't tried anything just yet.
I doubt a dealer will use a home bodge!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Someone on here posted that the switchgear was cheap and flimsy...that's not good if true.
Not my impression - it is what it is, functional , lightweight , should last OK unless one is clumsy.
But certainly someone can make better ones including billet alloy if someone is willing to pay big bucks.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Good result; I haven't tried anything just yet.
I doubt a dealer will use a home bodge!
When you do try if you grab the locking device that is protruding outwards, lift it upwards and the inner cavity moves up roughly the required amount of 2 to 3mm...only on the backside but it works its way down again...I would think that is where Ineos will be looking... realigning and reseal (y)

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Good review on the test drive. Pretty much sums up a few of my other thoughts. The fuel cover is terrible and I'm going to ask my dealer if they can realign it. It sags enough that it basically can touch the lower body panel of you are not being careful. That and the few entry level stuff ups in the interior such as storage, RHD footrest intrusion, several warped dash plastics, transfer lever plastics, poor tilt andc reach adjustment. Basic cockpit design you would expect in a $20K Cherry... still love the truck.
Just for others reading, trobex‘s experience is not universal; I like all the plastics used, theres no warping of dash plastics (in the 4 grenadiers Ive used, seen more), I like the solid feel of the transfer case lever, steering wheel adjustment is good, although could be a little longer in reach, my fuel filler flaps have been fine, now 5 months in, but I can see how they could sag, basic cockpit design I think is excellent, way above other usedul vehicles and many cars too. The footrest is definitely a characteristic, I dont love it, I dont hate it, it is way better than a defender handbrake.
A lot of this is opinion and expectation, but trobex I think saying it’s like a $20k cheap car is flat out wrong, its much higher quality and durability.

statements that “for a 100K car you expect more” really run counter to this car being a utility, practical, wash-out able car. Its refinement, fit and finish, and quiet comfortable ride are totally unexpected bonuses well beyond the reqirements of the spec. It costs what it costs, and it is designed to be what it was designed for; Not suggesting theres no room for criticism, but suggesting expectations might be untethered occasionally.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
Just for others reading, trobex‘s experience is not universal; I like all the plastics used, theres no warping of dash plastics (in the 4 grenadiers Ive used, seen more), I like the solid feel of the transfer case lever, steering wheel adjustment is good, although could be a little longer in reach, my fuel filler flaps have been fine, now 5 months in, but I can see how they could sag, basic cockpit design I think is excellent, way above other usedul vehicles and many cars too. The footrest is definitely a characteristic, I dont love it, I dont hate it, it is way better than a defender handbrake.
A lot of this is opinion and expectation, but trobex I think saying it’s like a $20k cheap car is flat out wrong, its much higher quality and durability.

statements that “for a 100K car you expect more” really run counter to this car being a utility, practical, wash-out able car. Its refinement, fit and finish, and quiet comfortable ride are totally unexpected bonuses well beyond the reqirements of the spec. It costs what it costs, and it is designed to be what it was designed for; Not suggesting theres no room for criticism, but suggesting expectations might be untethered occasionally.
Hey James you may have tag me wrong a little butI agree with your first paragraph generally as most of us here are getting out the vehicle and it's all subjective. What I actually mean is the design intent and layout functionality of many $20K cars is simply better than the arrangement of the Grens. Rigidity/Sturdiness of the Gren however in my view is excellent. I don't think the Gren suffers from weak or poor quality plastics, but it does suffer in both finished form and function (warped plastics and unusable storage and "gloss" finishes...). Still love the truck though!

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
On the Porsche front - especially the 911 - those cars are meant to be driven every day - bullet proof as far as reliable. The interesting part though is where they share platforms. Look at the Porsche Macan - which is an Audi Q5, which is a VW Tiguan. And the Audi Q7 which is the VW Titan which is the Bentley Bentaga. Even more insane with US auto makers - what car are we even buying anymore? Even on the Rolls Royce side - buy one and you are basically buying the mechanicals of a 7 Series BMW with a high end interior...
Look at the Porsche Macan - which is an Audi Q5, which is a VW Tiguan.
Well that explains a lot! Been driving a '22 Tiguan while waiting for the G - she's zippy for sure! Will miss her!

cjsmith

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Just got back from test drive of a Trialmaster with RDS in PA. First let me say how nice and helpful everyone there was. In answer to my question about (remotely) possible breakdown, they will offer complimentary tow and loaner. I can get used to the steering not returning to center, I actually think the BMW shifter is the strangest thing to me. But will get used to that too. Vehicle is very comfortable on the road. There is actually a very wide arm rest at the window (don't understand the person who posted there are no arm rests). Did not notice anything cheap about the interior of vehicle. Switches are fine, dials turn maybe a little too easily, but not a big deal. Huge cargo area. Turning radius does not seem different than my RAM. Question for those of you who already have your trucks with the safari windows: too much glare? do they rattle? do they leak? That's the only item I am currently being considered for deletion.

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:30 AM
Reaction score
1) Cheap plastics on a near $100K vehicle - looks like the same level one would find in a North Korean rental car - disappointing - poor fit and finish in many places - the rear deck floor was bubbled in several places. 2) Build quality - overall very solid - great door slams - its build like a tank, very nice leather seats and rear leg room. The Rails at the roof on the other hand are an absolute embarrassment; literally looked like a 4 year old loaded with espresso who just got off a roller coaster was told to make them nice and straight - more waves over the length of the vehicle than should be allowed; Mercedes would fire someone for that level of incompetence. 3) Gas filler cover - absolute rubbish - again Ineos - have some shame. 4) Multiple warning alarms going off that even the dealer could not explain - rear seatbelt warning was going off for the first 1/2 of the drive. Very torn walking away from the drive -I truly love the concept and have been here since day 1 and really want one of these. Can even get mentally beyond the MPG of a lumber truck...
1) I absolutely disagree on that. Plastics in premium cars are now almost always just apparently of 'high quality', obtained with surface coatings that are soft and pleasant to the touch for the short time beyond which they become sticky and embarrassing. I can bring evidence of this on Porsche, Audi, Mercedes etc... The (relatively few) plastics on the Grenadier don't look 'luxury' but are certainly substantial and durable, as a off road needs. The gaps between the parts do not concern primary elements such as the dashboard but the underseat carters etc, which are easily removable...
2) I can't answer, since my roof is absolutely straight and plan, not no stagnant water when I wash the car...
3) Best gas filler flap I had, second just to the one in my 964 turbo. Perfectly aligned and perfect opening by a pressure on the spring loaded flap.
4) After #1946 update (2500 klick ago) I hadn't any warning. I forgot every ignition trick that was needed before...
Fuel consumption is heavy, as expected on a 2.7 ton car with the kind of aerodynamics allowed by the shape that all of us wanted for the Grenadier. I can just report that fuel mileage of the above 964 turbo (33 years old but with a good aerodynamics and less than half the weight) is less than 20% of Grenadier's.
Only a full ownership can allows the total and satisfying appreciation of the car. My daily 25 klick trip to my office has become a holiday trip...

P.S. While waiting for the delivery of the Grenadier, months ago, I rented a 'Chinese' MG for 17,000 euros. The plastics made a great and apparent impression and the rest was worth just 17,000 euros. I believe that installing plastics of this type costs less than the consistent and heavy duty ones of the Grenadier. For me, a thousand times these last...

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
1) I absolutely disagree on that. Plastics in premium cars are now almost always just apparently of 'high quality', obtained with surface coatings that are soft and pleasant to the touch for the short time beyond which they become sticky and embarrassing. I can bring evidence of this on Porsche, Audi, Mercedes etc... The (relatively few) plastics on the Grenadier don't look 'luxury' but are certainly substantial and durable, as a off road needs. The gaps between the parts do not concern primary elements such as the dashboard but the underseat carters etc, which are easily removable...
2) I can't answer, since my roof is absolutely straight and plan, not no stagnant water when I wash the car...
3) Best gas filler flap I had, second just to the one in my 964 turbo. Perfectly aligned and perfect opening by a pressure on the spring loaded flap.
4) After #1946 update (2500 klick ago) I hadn't any warning. I forgot every ignition trick that was needed before...
Fuel consumption is heavy, as expected on a 2.7 ton car with the kind of aerodynamics allowed by the shape that all of us wanted for the Grenadier. I can just report that fuel mileage of the above 964 turbo (33 years old but with a good aerodynamics and less than half the weight) is less than 20% of Grenadier's.
Only a full ownership can allows the total and satisfying appreciation of the car. My daily 25 klick trip to my office has become a holiday trip...

P.S. While waiting for the delivery of the Grenadier, months ago, I rented a 'Chinese' MG for 17,000 euros. The plastics made a great and apparent impression and the rest was worth just 17,000 euros. I believe that installing plastics of this type costs less than the consistent and heavy duty ones of the Grenadier. For me, a thousand times these last...
Re: the plastics. The only plastics I find unacceptable - be it in a $70,000 car or in a $50,000 car - are in the very back of the car, where there are two plastic "doors" to little storage cubbies. One is on your left as you are looking into the back of the vehicle (behind the left rear wheel-well), and one is on the large rear door (where the little pop-down table would go if you ordered one). Both of these are the cheapest plastics I have ever seen in any vehicle, maybe ever. The one on the rear door is worse than the one behind the left wheel-well. It is absurdly flimsy, and the little dials you turn to fasten or unfasten it are borderline useless. The plastic fasteners for this little plastic door are pathetic. In stunning contrast, the rear doors of the Grenadier open and close with a tremendous sense of quality. Of course, the rear doors are far more important than those little plastic cubby-doors, but I was really surprised at just how bad the plastic was in these two spots.

I also would have to say, that the shiny black piano trim on the inside of the four side doors in the Grenadier just doesn't make any sense. Its like some weird attempt to have up-scale trim in a vehicle that you are supposed to be able to wash out with a hose. This black trim, the transmission shifter, and the big screen, all feel like something out of an Audi S7 or the like, while the manual hand brake and the manual transfer case lever feel like things that actually belong in the Grenadier. Overall, it leaves me feeling like there were two different design teams for the interior, and they weren't allowed to talk to each other.

Nguni

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I agree - steering is fine ( more on that later ) and it drives well and is solid and not easily unsettled on the road for such a big vehicle - but it is heavy and that's something to consider on small twisty road - the six BMW engine is smooth but the transmission seems to have some minor vibrations at certain RPM - it easily catches up in traffic - nothing new here , the petrol six was a production offering in the Defender when BMW owned Landrover - like having an old Defender with 7 people sitting in it before you get in ( Defender is almost 700Kg / 1500lbs lighter ) - 90 L/ 24 US gal is too small for places like Australia and Africa but that could be overcome - parking in tight spaces is possible but a bit of a challenge - but the mirrors are good and you can easily see down the side of the vehicle - the reversing camera is woeful , small and unclear - a decent two position camera on a full split of the infotainment screen would have made such a difference and could have been offered as an option - one camera looking backwards - on as default and one looking down from the top of the rear ( from reverse ) - so now i park nose in and its actually better to see - parking sensors seem to have a delay as you transition from forward and reverse etc - driving vision is good as you can generally see all around ( as the old defender is ) - i enjoy driving the car especially in a heavy traffic environment as the auto is so smooth and allows great control when you creep and the vision is great - the fit and finish is not so great but is functional and really what i expected but let down by some flimsy plastic parts - could be better

But and here is the big but ...

How much of the systems are dependent on the software ? and what sort of " limp modes " are explained - IE if something or some sensor fails what are the options ? and that is really where this journey begins ......

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just got back from test drive of a Trialmaster with RDS in PA. First let me say how nice and helpful everyone there was. In answer to my question about (remotely) possible breakdown, they will offer complimentary tow and loaner. I can get used to the steering not returning to center, I actually think the BMW shifter is the strangest thing to me. But will get used to that too. Vehicle is very comfortable on the road. There is actually a very wide arm rest at the window (don't understand the person who posted there are no arm rests). Did not notice anything cheap about the interior of vehicle. Switches are fine, dials turn maybe a little too easily, but not a big deal. Huge cargo area. Turning radius does not seem different than my RAM. Question for those of you who already have your trucks with the safari windows: too much glare? do they rattle? do they leak? That's the only item I am currently being considered for deletion.
My safari windows rattle on the hinge driving over potholes. I’ve fixed this myself using a piece of rubber foam adhesive on the hinge. It’s perfect now.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Re: the plastics. The one on the rear door is worse than the one behind the left wheel-well. It is absurdly flimsy, and the little dials you turn to fasten or unfasten it are borderline useless. The plastic fasteners for this little plastic door are pathetic.
My '82 Porsche 928 cost more than a house when it was new, probably double an average house.
The tool holder in the rear hatch has a similar latch mechanism.
I have used it hundreds of times ; indeed every time I get home as that's where the battery disconnect switch is mounted.
Don't ask me how nut the flimsy mechanism , always exposed to the sun, still works fine.
1980s plastics eh , probably made from toxic chemicals and not recyclable...
Never heard any 928 guy complain about it!
I doubt I will ever use the safety kit in the rear door of the Grenadier.
But I might modify the opening , just to be different from everyone else!
Somewhere for my ferret to nest.

Attachments

• 20231117_093110.jpg
    20231117_093110.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20231117_093116.jpg
    20231117_093116.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom