The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:35 PM
Reaction score
Which side is best for an awing?

"left" and "right" answers won't help, but "driver side" or "passenger side" are much appreciated. ;)

Type of (planned) awning (batwing, straight) is of course important.
The reasons for the preferred side are also interesting.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:35 PM
Reaction score
Right hand drive here.
270 degree awning (with optional sides) on the driver side. Roof top tent (also with optional sides) opens out on the other side.
To some extent it can reflect how and what you access the back of the vehicle where stuff is stored.
Everyone has a different setup!

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Which side is best for an awing?

"left" and "right" answers won't help, but "driver side" or "passenger side" are much appreciated. ;)

Type of (planned) awning (batwing, straight) is of course important.
The reasons for the preferred side are also interesting.
Good question, I’m in. Right hand drive, straight awning mounted on the passenger side.

Why… hmm. I guess mostly in the event of a breakdown/pulled over we could deploy the awning away from passing vehicles. Could just be habit. Also seems slightly more convenient to access the rear of the vehicle.

Prefer a straight awning plus extension versus a 270 degree for weight/simplicity… although confess to being batwing-curious.
Have my eye on one of the ARB aluminium-encased jobs. Something without zips.

Last edited:

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Always passenger side for a standard awning for me. Same for a batwing I think if I fitted one. For me it’s just made for a better camping set up - swag / chair etc under awning, access to other stuff from the drivers side. Probably not of consequence but fridge is also on the passenger side, so not as far to walk for a beer. 😉😂

internal

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As the previous contributors have already mentioned, it depends on the desired use.
I would have liked to have it on the other side, but with a 270-degree awning I don't always want to walk around the large open (right) door with the folding table.
So in driving direction left side (no matter where the steering wheel is...)

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have alhad on the passneger side. I guess the only real rationale would be that if you pull to the side of a track you can extend it off the road. But other than that I guess it can just as easily be either side

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Driver side, Roof Tent open to/over the back, so small door is not „in the way“ to chair and table under the awing. Drawer with kitchen is on the right side.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:35 PM
Reaction score
Always to the side that is opposite to the largest of the boot/rear doors when open. That is the only logical choice in my opinion. I have seen 270s installed where the tailgate opens 'in' to the 270 and chews the last 90 off and I just laugh a little. If you have kids, maybe put them behind that 90 and let them run amuck.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:35 AM
Reaction score
I've given this some thought and am in internal's, Lollo's, and trobex's camp. I am also planning a 270 degree awning (e.g., Bush Company's Mk2 or Quick Pitch Weathershade) and it's the rear door setup that drives the decision. I plan to have a pull kitchen in the rear and don't want to be fighting the large right side door while moving to the rear under the awning. The large door will also function as an impromptu wall. So, LHD driver's side for me. The only disadvantage is the mounted awning will intrude a little towards the center line of the road when driving.

Even if I had a LHD passenger side setup, I do not ever see myself wanting to pull right off the side of the road and deploy the awning - too many distracted drivers for me to feel comfortable doing that under any conditions.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
You all have good arguments. Thank you.

The larger back door is indeed a factor.

As for the traffic side (driver) or not, it's true that an awning on the passenger side would make more sense for a roadside stop. But it is an off-road vehicle, after all, and in some cases you could just pull off the road a little further. But if there are bushes or trees, the argument is absolutely valid.

I'm surprised at how many considerations come up to answer this question.

I'm curious to hear more answers.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:35 AM
Reaction score
Playing devils advocate, what about just a rear awning that covers the rear door section? Low profile, won't create noise, you can get side walls if needed. I was thinking about going that way instead of a 270. I will say that I am not thinking about using a roof top tent so no need to worry about climbing over to get in the tent. I also understand that 270 is much better suited for sun protection as a whole. Just bringing a different idea to table.

Schoeniman

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Always to the side that is opposite to the largest of the boot/rear doors when open. That is the only logical choice in my opinion. I have seen 270s installed where the tailgate opens 'in' to the 270 and chews the last 90 off and I just laugh a little. If you have kids, maybe put them behind that 90 and let them run amuck.
spot on @trobex !
left hand driver (Germany) and I’ve bought the Quick Pitch Weathershade 270 Awning.
Kitchen box Drawer is on the right side of the trunk, fridge on the other side.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Awning should go on the passenger side so you can park at the footpath, deploy the awning, fold up your black sheep tables and place your choice of tea, coffee or a lightly sparkling mineral water on it.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Awning should go on the passenger side so you can park at the footpath, deploy the awning, fold up your black sheep tables and place your choice of tea, coffee or a lightly sparkling mineral water on it.
What , a suburban lemonade stall?

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
For us it was a question where we have access to the kitchen stuff, fridge and the sand boards used as a working table. As we needed the two seater in the back row, first for the kids, today for the dog, we took out the single seat on the driver side (LHD) to place these things there. The sand boards are also on the driver side. So the 270 degree awning is also on the driver side.

AWo

Last edited:

NoAge Hunter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Straight awning from GordiGear 2,5 m x 2,0 m on the passenger side. Passenger side because I like to have free access to driver seat always…… and because I had it always ob that side 😂😂
I conect a tent from GordiGear to the awning because I sleep in there.

An additional small awning (1,4 m ), selfmade from truck tarpaulin, in case it rains, because my „kitchen“ is in the back. IMG_2503.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2501.jpeg
    IMG_2501.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom