The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Alu-Cab Roof Conversion announced!

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:32 PM
Reaction score
More info here: Alu-Cab Grenadier Roof Conversion

Looks sharp, no doubt. Still in the R&D phase. No pics of the interior. The $64,000 question is what is the status of the overhead switch panel? Removed or intact? And, of course, will it cost $64,000?

Idea for a name - Bearskin

From Wikipedia:

"A bearskin is a tall fur cap, usually worn as part of a ceremonial military uniform. Traditionally, the bearskin was the headgear of grenadiers, and remains in use by grenadier and guards regiments in various armies."

Last edited:

bradb622

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:32 PM
Reaction score
From their Website...

Attachments

• Ineos-Grenadier-Roof-Conversion-1.jpg
    Ineos-Grenadier-Roof-Conversion-1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Ineos-Grenadier-Roof-Conversion-2.jpg
    Ineos-Grenadier-Roof-Conversion-2.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 143
  • Ineos-Grenadier-Roof-Conversion-3-2.jpg
    Ineos-Grenadier-Roof-Conversion-3-2.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Ineos-Grenadier-Roof-Conversion-4.jpg
    Ineos-Grenadier-Roof-Conversion-4.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 155

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:32 AM
Reaction score
Since Alu Cab uses mostly greek half gods, it could be Hermes.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:32 AM
Reaction score
Local time
6:32 PM
Reaction score
Duplicate to this one. Please use this thread started by another member.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Someone on Instagram suggested 'TALOS' as it's the cousin of icarus, the name of their OG defender roof conversion

bradb622

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I can’t help this, but there’s a line from a show my wife and I are watching that said ‘the lesson from Icarus wasn’t don’t fly too close to the Sun. It’s build better wings’

I think they built something impressive here, but for us, we just love those safari windows. I would assume you would have to lose them.

Looks like you can ‘pre-order’ without a deposit. I assume this more like a hand raise. We did that, but it will depend on how much we like those windows long term and if choosing them in the first place negates the ability to make the conversion.

Local time
Reaction score
It’s hard, but I’m willing to not have safari windows to have that compact setup and interior living space.

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder, would the safari windows in any way prevent you from being able to install this conversion?

Local time
Reaction score
I wonder, would the safari windows in any way prevent you from being able to install this conversion?
I don't think it would hinder you from doing this, but it would cause increased difficulty. The Conversion extends to the front and the safari windows portion of the top would be cut off. So install would be easy, but the headliner on the inside would be the issue.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I would think they would simply have a plate to cover. You would still get the increased headroom vs no safari window. Can’t wait to see it in the flesh.

Local time
Reaction score
The Alu-Cab roof conversion is very well integrated almost looks like an OEM option. Alu-Cab may be doing similar to the Australian roof conversion and only cutting the roof in the cargo area therefore retaining roof as the front section floor and retaining the factory switches and roof strength for airbags for the front and rear seat passenger compartments.

Local time
Reaction score
Conversion? What? Is it a hatch? A tent? A rack?
I’m not sure if this is sarcasm, but don’t want to be rude if you haven’t seen these. Yes, it is a full tent system. You cut off the whole OEM roof. This then replaces that, being sealed and bolted down. Then it opens up like a giant wedge tent. The bed, of course, holds completely up against the ceiling, when the tent portion is erected, this gives you a huge interior living space. Combine this with a small diesel heater or any other type of heater, and you have very comfortable four season backcountry living capability. When you want to go to bed, you pull down the big portion of the platform climb up top and sleep. If you have time, look up Toyota trophy, poptop conversion.

TWExplor

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is what I have been waiting for! Roof conversion. Rip out the back seats…and the rest of the rear compartment. Relocate all of the batteries/electrical from under the rear seats and build out the back.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
5:32 PM
Reaction score
This is what I have been waiting for! Roof conversion. Rip out the back seats…and the rest of the rear compartment. Relocate all of the batteries/electrical from under the rear seats and build out the back.
Yeah, you'd have to do that to achieve the 'huge space' that Beowulf is dreaming of. No, It will never be a space big enough to comfortably live in. You can't stand up or put chairs in or have any of the elements that vans have. You just get a penthouse bed that allows you to sleep above all your gear that takes up the tiny space that the back of a SUV of this size provides. This device doesn't really 'convert' anything. Glad I already have a 4x4 van to actually live in when I travel about.

Last edited:

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah, you'd have to do that to achieve the 'huge space' that Beowulf is dreaming of. No, It will never be a space big enough to comfortably live in. You can't stand up or put chairs in or have any of the elements that vans have. You just get a penthouse bed that allows you to sleep above all your gear that takes up the tiny space that the back of a SUV of this size provides. This device doesn't really 'convert' anything. Glad I already have a 4x4 van to actually live in when I travel about.
To each their own - one size doesn’t (mis)fit all. I watch Venture4wd on YouTube for the past several years, and he has a Jeep JK with an Ursa Minor camper conversion. He’s been living out of that for the past few years - and seemed quite comfortable and content with the minimalism of it all. Seems to me like it would be a great alternative to a roof top tent - with some added perks - like having direct access to the sleeping platform and vehicle, without actually having to leave the vehicle. Especially for individuals that go camping on a regular basis. Plus, it reminds me of the look and utility of the VW bus with the westfalia camper conversion - which I personally though was cool.

Back
Top Bottom