The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Alu-Cab Roof Conversion announced!

Wile E Coyote

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:11 PM
Reaction score
I've been waiting to see what this would look like.
Now I may just have to cancel my roof rack and led!

lagartoboy

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
10:11 AM
Reaction score
To each their own - one size doesn’t (mis)fit all. I watch Venture4wd on YouTube for the past several years, and he has a Jeep JK with an Ursa Minor camper conversion. He’s been living out of that for the past few years - and seemed quite comfortable and content with the minimalism of it all. Seems to me like it would be a great alternative to a roof top tent - with some added perks - like having direct access to the sleeping platform and vehicle, without actually having to leave the vehicle. Especially for individuals that go camping on a regular basis. Plus, it reminds me of the look and utility of the VW bus with the westfalia camper conversion - which I personally though was cool.
Mulgo offers another option that I believe is already in production. It is an Australian company.

Attachments

• 46F83A68-4C98-4117-BD30-9502799DBF2E.jpeg
    46F83A68-4C98-4117-BD30-9502799DBF2E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:11 PM
Reaction score
You have to see how it is done technically and qualitatively and what it costs. It may be practical and robust, we'll see.

But from a purely visual perspective, in my opinion it's just a design breaker. It doesn't match the simple, straight lines of the Grenadier and has unnecessary frills, edges and gimmicks that may be unnecessary and are better left out. I'm not convinced. Too much bling-bling, very similar to the SUV designs of current wannabe designers.

But that's just my point of view. Taste is an individual thing.

In any case, I don't think Toby Ecuyer would be pleased, he would for sure not have done it that way. And I don't think he would like it either.

Local time
9:11 AM
Reaction score
emax, I appreciate your take. For me, it is the opposite. The other conversion conversion top options seem to kill the lines (they all kind of kill it). With Alucab going to the gutter rails, for me it is similar to having the Black roof option. Hopefully we get some fully finished and deployed interior/exterior images soon. One rumor I've heard, is there will be an example at the Overland Expo in Loveland this year, likely with a Goosegear storage system.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:11 PM
Reaction score
May be it is technically a good solution.

Taste matters are different for everybody. So your assessment is of course respected.

And the other conversion I have looks terrible as well. I think I/we have to see them both "in the metall".

Local time
9:11 AM
Reaction score
Emax. Much respect for your comment. Why can’t everyone respect differing views. It’s why we have 1000s of cars models and bazillions of aftermarket stuff to fit each taste and use case need.

I hope our traveling paths cross for a chance at good conversation.

Local time
8:11 AM
Reaction score
I would love to see it. I am really considering the INEOS after my test drive. I would be trading in my 2013 G63 AMG for it. This Alucab conversion would really add to the whole idea. Really would like to see some specs first. How much would it add to the height? The added cost? Can you still add weight on the roof? I will have wait a bit but very promising.

Local time
11:11 AM
Reaction score
Yeah, you'd have to do that to achieve the 'huge space' that Beowulf is dreaming of. No, It will never be a space big enough to comfortably live in. You can't stand up or put chairs in or have any of the elements that vans have. You just get a penthouse bed that allows you to sleep above all your gear that takes up the tiny space that the back of a SUV of this size provides. This device doesn't really 'convert' anything. Glad I already have a 4x4 van to actually live in when I travel about.
While the Grenadier with the Alucab top would not have the space of a van, the conversion would create full standup height inside and the interior would typically be built out with seating and storage along each side with an open area down the center. This is more than enough room to comfortably spend weeks in the back country. Certainly not ideal for full time living but more than enough space for long trips in any kind of weather, in highly remote locations that a van could never reach because of technical terrain. The attached image of a Toyota Troopy gives the general idea of the concept. Note that the sleeping platform is in the down position. It would be pushed up against the angled roof when in living mode producing ~8' of overhead height on the high end. The Grenadier has roughly 72" to the bottom back of the seats. This is a foot more than typical midsize short bed trucks that are commonly set up in a similar configuration using a wedge camper and considered by many to be the ultimate living solution for extended backcounty travel.IMG_3172.JPG

Local time
11:11 AM
Reaction score
Maybe the Greek god name should be Nosoi. It looks like a tumor. Mulgo on the other hand, the merely looks like a school van conversion company made it. Like those Econoline van toppers to make a cheap shortbus.

The defender panel truck units look good, but, they use defender tops to make them, and they are 3 door. These are such a compromise on a 5 door. For the money in this footprint, Import a troopy or get a sportsmobile.

Back
Top Bottom