The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Alarm System? (your Grenadiers anti theft system)

bimmerteck

Reservation Holder
Local time
1:03 AM
Reaction score
The only thing that has ever failed and required a tow home on my D1 was the security module in the drivers door. It’s physical switches had worn to the point it falsely put the vehicle into double locked and immobilized in a Costco parking lot.

At home 30 minutes studying the diagram, figured out where I could intercept the proper lock signal wires and make the vehicle think the drivers door had been unlocked and disarmed. I then removed the mechanically failed module entirely.

I’m apt to remove the passive immobilizer from my IG in favor of an active one installed somewhere. The only thing I’ve found passive immobilizers good for long term is eventually failing and leaving the owner stranded.

I had to do this so often in fact on a few models of BMW seven I have a templates in my toolbox on where behind the number plate to drill an access hole the get to the trunk lock actuator wiring.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:03 AM
Reaction score
I know someone who had a very expensive Merc sports car nicked off his drive, he was in at the time and heard it drive off. Some guy with a laptop. They just bombard the car with signals until they find the right one. He had an tracker on it, that was disabled shortly after it disappeared. I think keyless entry and start makes cars easier to steal…

caalm

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
JoeJet - You beat me to it!

So what is missing that stops the system on the Grenadier being Thatcham compliant?

This vehicle could be a magnet to those who want one withiout paying for it.... This is a tad concerning?

Views welcome!

Thanks

John
Install a ghost security system.....50% cool factor 50% security

MilesD

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Ghost immobilisers were indeed suggested by our insurers. MFA is the future........but I doubt the panacea we would like it to be.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have check insurance quote and with Thatcham 1 removed it’s gone up £250! When I signed my contract 7 /11/22 That was part of my “locked in” speck. Thatcham 1 approved is quite a big thing in the UK and £250 per annum soon racks up. This is a major alteration that Ineos have just swept under the carpet without any consultation with a contracted purchaser! Still committed, but beginning to feel a bit like Jack the cabin boy, crossing the equator for the first time, head an shoulders in the barrel and Ineos is standing right behind me!

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have check insurance quote and with Thatcham 1 removed it’s gone up £250! When I signed my contract 7 /11/22 That was part of my “locked in” speck. Thatcham 1 approved is quite a big thing in the UK and £250 per annum soon racks up. This is a major alteration that Ineos have just swept under the carpet without any consultation with a contracted purchaser! Still committed, but beginning to feel a bit like Jack the cabin boy, crossing the equator for the first time, head an shoulders in the barrel and Ineos is standing right behind me!
I suspect that increases for non cat 1 alarm are also based on postcode location of the vehicle base. With inner cities taking a bigger hit

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Oddly it locked the other day with the bonnet open...

Orcmurd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine has refused to lock when rear door or bonnet not shut properly.
Does anyone know how to disable the anti-tilt sensor (if there is one) as I’m catching an overnight ferry in a few weeks.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to disable the anti-tilt sensor (if there is one) as I’m catching an overnight ferry in a few weeks.
I haven’t tested it but I’m guessing if you lock with the key instead of the button on the fob then the alarm won’t be enabled. That’s how it worked on my 2014 Defender 2.2tdci when on ferry journeys.
lock with a key then jack your vehicle up in one corner for a test. 👍🏼

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, I was expecting something like that; but car had been open for a good few hours with bonnet stay in the first position. I shut the driver's door and back doors and it locked.

Reactions: PBD

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:03 PM
Reaction score
Update:
On the recently released Australian brochure which includes the Quartermaster, the "Advanced Anti Theft Alarm and Immobiliser" is listed as a priced "Option" on all models of both the Utility/Station Wagon and the Quartermaster.

Those in Aus. who have taken delivery of the Trialmaster or Fieldmaster can you advise please as to whether you were advised on handover as to whether the alarm / immobiliser is the advanced version or the standard one?

Local time
11:03 PM
Reaction score
Mine did not lock with the FOB after I opened the bonnet. Had to give it a proper slam

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I haven’t tested it but I’m guessing if you lock with the key instead of the button on the fob then the alarm won’t be enabled. That’s how it worked on my 2014 Defender 2.2tdci when on ferry journeys.
lock with a key then jack your vehicle up in one corner for a test. 👍🏼

I have done this on a ferry and it seemed to work but I didn’t find the instruction in the manual - it might be hiding in the detail there though!

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have done this on a ferry and it seemed to work but I didn’t find the instruction in the manual - it might be hiding in the detail there though!
I haven't found this in the Grenadier manual either and to be fair not in my Defender manual either.

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Update:
On the recently released Australian brochure which includes the Quartermaster, the "Advanced Anti Theft Alarm and Immobiliser" is listed as a priced "Option" on all models of both the Utility/Station Wagon and the Quartermaster.

Those in Aus. who have taken delivery of the Trialmaster or Fieldmaster can you advise please as to whether you were advised on handover as to whether the alarm / immobiliser is the advanced version or the standard one?
No advice whatsoever, but on my invoice it has two items: (delivered in July 23)
Anti-Theft Alarm & Immobiliser
and near the top:
Advanced Anti-Theft Alarm and Immobiliser

IMG_2827.jpeg

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine did not lock with the FOB after I opened the bonnet. Had to give it a proper slam
Mine did the same two days ago but at least if you looked inside the console screen was showing a bonnet shaped image as a clue (the bonnet felt like it was closed so we’d been round and re-done all the doors to no avail.

Back
Top Bottom