The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Alarm System? (your Grenadiers anti theft system)

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
11:06 AM
Reaction score
The next email is thus..

THE LONG WAY HOME
We would like to bring you up to speed with the lucky winners.

The first couldnt actually start in Morroco because they hadnt signed thier contract that we hadnt sent.
The second vehicle was sadly stolen overnight on day 2 - apparently quietly pulled away by 3 camels
The third and final set off all by itself , amazingly without driver and took itself back to Hambach - software issue ?

We will keep you posted

marko

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:06 PM
Reaction score
The next email is thus..

THE LONG WAY HOME
We would like to bring you up to speed with the lucky winners.

The first couldnt actually start in Morroco because they hadnt signed thier contract that we hadnt sent.
The second vehicle was sadly stolen overnight on day 2 - apparently quietly pulled away by 3 camels
The third and final set off all by itself , amazingly without driver and took itself back to Hambach - software issue ?

We will keep you posted
Brilliant🤣🤣🤣

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Just received the below form Ineos.

Hi joejet

We’ll come straight to it. Our website and brochure have always referenced a Thatcham Category 1 alarm and immobiliser. But this is not correct.

It’s a mistake on our part, and for that we’re sorry. The good news is that your Grenadier is fitted with an advanced anti-theft alarm (complete with independent power source) and immobiliser.

This is an important point, as it may affect your insurance. So, if you’ve already obtained a quote, we’d advise updating it. Select ‘manufacturer-fitted system’, as opposed to ‘Thatcham Category 1’. This will ensure you have the correct cover for your Grenadier. As always, if you have any questions regarding this update, then please do not hesitate to contact Customer Services.
I wonder if this legal nicerty is want has held contracts up

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:06 PM
Reaction score
Got this email today. So there is no Thatcham anti theft system built in. :(

Anybody else? Other Countries?

English below.

Hallo ...,

wir kommen am besten gleich zur Sache. Auf unserer Website und in unserer Broschüre war immer von einer Alarmanlage und Wegfahrsperre der Thatcham-Kategorie 1 die Rede. Das ist jedoch nicht korrekt.

Wir haben einen Fehler gemacht, für den wir uns vielmals entschuldigen möchten. Die gute Nachricht: Dein Grenadier ist mit einer modernen Diebstahlwarnanlage (inklusive unabhängiger Stromquelle) und einer Wegfahrsperre ausgestattet.

Das ist ein überaus wichtiger Punkt, der sich auf Deinen Versicherungsschutz auswirken könnte. Wenn Du Dir also bereits einen Kostenvoranschlag geholt hast, empfehlen wir, ihn aktualisieren zu lassen. Statt „Thatcham Kategorie 1“ sollte es „vom Hersteller eingebautes System“ heißen. Damit ist sichergestellt, dass der Versicherungsschutz für Deinen Grenadier korrekt ist. Wenn Du Fragen zu dieser Aktualisierung hast, kannst Du wie immer jederzeit unseren Kundenservice kontaktieren.

In English:
Hello ...,

we best get straight to the point. On our website and in our brochure always talked about a Thatcham category 1 alarm and immobilizer. However, this is not correct.

We made a mistake for which we apologize profusely. The good news is that your Grenadier is equipped with a modern anti-theft alarm system (including an independent power source) and an immobilizer.

This is an extremely important item that could affect your insurance coverage. So if you've already gotten a quote, we recommend getting it updated. Instead of "Thatcham Category 1", it should read "manufacturer fitted system". This will ensure that the coverage for your Grenadier is correct. As always, if you have any questions about this update, please feel free to contact our customer service department.

Last edited:

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Got this email today. So there no Thatcham anti theft system built in.

Anybody else? Other Countries?

Please translate on you own:
me to and it has been posted in another thread as well. It is not a German problem...

Chris

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm probably putting 2 and 2 together and making 5 but I did wonder if IA had always planned to have their security system compliant with Cat 1 but when they came to have it assessed/tested it failed to meet requirements? On the plus side nice they've come clean with the email.
I'm with you on this, sounds plausible (y)

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder if this legal nicerty is want has held contracts up
I can imagine that it is one of several nicerties (did not know this word before) that held up my delivery!

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I don‘t want to be pettifogging here but when I read that mail from today, to me it says: „We‘re delivering less than you have ordered.“ Anyone else who is tempted to ask how that affects the price?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Do you think that will have much bearing?
Ineos themselves write:

"This is an important point, as it may affect your insurance."

Whatever went wrong, it was not a "mistake". They just didn't do it right. It's hardly possible to overlook such a high standard claim for over a year. Although I've never heard the word "Thatcham" before, I was glad to have something built into my car that has such a good reputation. And so now it feels like a loss.

I think it's not enough to just write "This is an important thing" and leave it at a lukewarm apology at the same time. Appropriate would be "You get a 400 Euro bonus on the purchase price" / "The first inspection will be paid by Ineos" / "Fill up the tank three times at our expense" or the like.

The point is not to get something out of it. But at least Ineos itself says that "This is an extremely important item that could affect your insurance coverage" (German email translation). So I'd expect at least a gesture from them.

I'm honestly a little pissed off.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Ok, we should clutter the forum, please continue here.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don‘t want to be pettifogging here but when I read that mail from today, to me it says: „We‘re delivering less than you have ordered.“ Anyone else who is tempted to ask how that affects the price?
I would say the differential between Thatch 1 and Non-Thatch 1 is not worth even typing an email for price reduction.
If it turns out not to have a winch that you ordered and come along with a Trifor then ok....you might have a position

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The crux for me is whether IA went for Thatcham certification in the UK and their system failed the test. If it did fail that isn’t great from a security perspective and even worse from a cost point if UK insurers are notified of testing failures. After all Thatcham are the UK’s premier testing centre for automotive.

Telling the world it was a Thatcham Cat 1 on their vehicle website suggests they intended it to pass but it didn’t. Oops.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
8:06 AM
Reaction score
I just got off the chat with a helpful chap.

ME

'Hi,

Can you please confirm the category of alarm and immobilizer fitted to the Grenadier?

I'm trying to finalize insurance quotations and it makes a considerable difference in the price of the quote.'

INEOS

Hi Stuart. To ensure you have the correct insurance cover for your Grenadier, select the ‘manufacturer-fitted system’, as opposed to ‘Thatcham Category 1’.

Nothing has physically changed or been removed from your alarm system, the vehicle is still fitted with the advanced anti-theft alarm (complete with independent power source) and immobiliser originally specified when purchasing the vehicle.

'ok, thanks, do you know if this system is Thatcham approved or rated?'

'It is not Thatcham rated no.'

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Whatever went wrong, it was not a "mistake". They just didn't do it right. It's hardly possible to overlook such a high standard claim for over a year. Although I've never heard the word "Thatcham" before, I was glad to have something built into my car that has such a good reputation. And so now it feels like a loss.

I think it's not enough to just write "This is an important thing" and leave it at a lukewarm apology at the same time. Appropriate would be "You get a 400 Euro bonus on the purchase price" / "The first inspection will be paid by Ineos" / "Fill up the tank three times at our expense" or the like.
I got their e-mail in English, although my language on my account is French!
But I feel like @emax : something went wrong and we got less for the money, even if it is 100 €, they should compensate! But I will not sue them! I want the car. Even with 3 wheels 🤣

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:06 AM
Reaction score
Thatcham isn't a thing in Australia so has zero impact on us
Welcome back.

The Thatcham Cat 1 system (no longer called that in the Configurator) A63CE474-86F9-4917-9D8A-DBD12820819C.pngwas the optional system that you either added (and paid for) or was an upgrade in the Trialmaster / Fieldmaster, so I assume a price adjustment??

Back
Top Bottom