The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Alarm System? (your Grenadiers anti theft system)

Maxwell

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:05 AM
Reaction score
Welcome back.

The Thatcham Cat 1 system (no longer called that in the Configurator) View attachment 7802650was the optional system that you either added (and paid for) or was an upgrade in the Trialmaster / Fieldmaster, so I assume a price adjustment??
In the German version of the configurator, there is still the reference to Thatcham…although we received the same email over here… chaos, just pure chaos 😉

8A7D5CD0-BAFC-48AB-8A3B-EA94E8A76B9A.png

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:05 AM
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, Thatcham is not a thing here in Australia, never seen any other manufacturer refer to it, never seen an insurer ask for it. My reading of it is that they thought it would be compliant eith this standard and it departs from it in some minor way and now it’s not. Not a big deal to me, it has an immobiliser and alarm which is what most new cars come with and that’ll do me.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I did of course mean "we should NOT clutter the forum", but can't edit any more.

MilesD

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
2:05 AM
Reaction score
had a 2018 LR nicked 3 months ago, thatcham secured! - so surely an oxymoron!. Magnetic Trackers like the lightbug pros complement the manufactures systems according to the rozzers, as only broadcast once vehicle moving.

Local time
Reaction score
Thatcham is also not a thing here in North America, but I plan on asking for a 14% discount off the total price of the vehicle. Coincidentally, North American customers are looking at a 14% price increase over the initial vehicle release in Europe and Australia. I think my chances are good...
:LOL:

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In the German version of the configurator, there is still the reference to Thatcham…although we received the same email over here… chaos, just pure chaos 😉

View attachment 7802658

have had a look in my configurator, nothing more with Thatchcam 1, email from Ineos with the change is also there

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
had a 2018 LR nicked 3 months ago, thatcham secured! - so surely an oxymoron!. Magnetic Trackers like the lightbug pros complement the manufactures systems according to the rozzers, as only broadcast once vehicle moving.
I'm inferring that the thieving grubs bug a vehicle with a Lightbug and track it to where they can steal it? Have you any clue as to how they might have overcome the Thatcham rated immobiliser?

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
9:05 PM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
I'm inferring that the thieving grubs bug a vehicle with a Lightbug and track it to where they can steal it? Have you any clue as to how they might have overcome the Thatcham rated immobiliser?
Steal the keys is the easiest way. If you know the house you can either sneak or smash your way in.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I hope I'm not responsible for this...

IA sent me my amended contract to sign last week, then bizarrely they sent me another contract the next day. Naturally I compared them side by side, line by line and noticed the Thatcham specification for the alarm had been removed, so I sent them a customer service query.

They have since re-sent the same contract another two times... so after no contracts, now I am getting buried in them. And now this general email notice. :rolleyes:

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Steal the keys is the easiest way. If you know the house you can either sneak or smash your way in.
Strange that these days it is easier to kick in your front door and steal the keys than to break into the car (same thing happens here).

I had a relative who lived in the UK tell me one of the highest volume selling pieces of sporting equipment there were baseball bats, but no one plays baseball.....

Dave F

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yesterday I received an email informing that the previously described Thatcham alarm system will not be fitted to my Grenadier.
The “explanation” was as follows -

We’ll come straight to it. Our website and brochure have always referenced a Thatcham Category 1 alarm and immobiliser. But this is not correct.
It’s a mistake on our part, and for that we’re sorry. The good news is that your Grenadier is fitted with an advanced anti-theft alarm (complete with independent power source) and immobiliser.

This is hardly something that can be described as a mistake , there will clearly be reasons why this has changed ( probably supply issues) and I find it very frustrating that they choose to offer this non-explanation instead of an honest and full account of what has occurred.
There is also no further technical detail of what the new system will be.
Come on IG we deserve better than this!

Local time
Reaction score
If I had a choice I do not want an alarm. It's just not something I want or need and extra complexity.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Cloned key is the only way I know

Local time
10:35 AM
Reaction score
A South African car enthusiast friend of mine was telling me about that BMW option many years ago it had bullet proof glass and a push button incinerator to stop car jacking ( prevalent at the time ), he tells me it was banned by the South African government after the second traffic light intersection windshield washer person was incinerated.
Horrific.
That is the first image of it I have seen.
it gives me the shivers.

Back
Top Bottom