The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Alarm System? (your Grenadiers anti theft system)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:17 AM
Reaction score
A South African car enthusiast friend of mine was telling me about that BMW option many years ago it had bullet proof glass and a push button incinerator to stop car jacking ( prevalent at the time ), he tells me it was banned by the South African government after the second traffic light intersection windshield washer person was incinerated.
Horrific.
That is the first image of it I have seen.
it gives me the shivers.
It was a thing , but not factory option.

MilesD

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:17 PM
Reaction score
Landy had been static for 4 months on the drive as preferred the old disco. House is faraday cage. 2 more landys nicked same day (caught on street videos - hoody with ipad stood outside cars for c20 seconds, opened doors then another jumped in an drove off. My electrical managers vogue was nicked 6 weeks ago, again parked on street and he hadn't used for 3 weeks as away. No broken glass, cloned keys or house breakins. Go figure?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Landy had been static for 4 months on the drive as preferred the old disco. House is faraday cage. 2 more landys nicked same day (caught on street videos - hoody with ipad stood outside cars for c20 seconds, opened doors then another jumped in an drove off. My electrical managers vogue was nicked 6 weeks ago, again parked on street and he hadn't used for 3 weeks as away. No broken glass, cloned keys or house breakins. Go figure?
You need to move.
we don't even lock the doors.
At the rear of the house(f**k too much information)
Honestly we have cars parked in the driveway, on the street, wherever.
I go out and work from home and never worry.
I open the front doors and back doors every day and just snick the little flip lock on the door.
we go out for 2-4 hours without closing the main doors.,

MilesD

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
You need to move.
we don't even lock the doors.
At the rear of the house(f**k too much information)
Honestly we have cars parked in the driveway, on the street, wherever.
I go out and work from home and never worry.
I open the front doors and back doors every day and just snick the little flip lock on the door.
we go out for 2-4 hours without closing the main doors.,
unavoidable cost of living in london......(17 motorbikes and 9 cycles in 25 yrs), but Cars? LR must be hiding the theft figures (in the same folder as the thier 'ingenium' engine failure rates). Before you ask, its a sleepy sylvian london suburb, not some inner city squat :)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
unavoidable cost of living in london......(17 motorbikes and 9 cycles in 25 yrs), but Cars? LR must be hiding the theft figures (in the same folder as the thier 'ingenium' engine failure rates). Before you ask, its a sleepy sylvian london suburb, not some inner city squat :)
so move to the country
or another country
or buy a Metro

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are you saying you’ve had 17 motos and 9 bikes nicked in that time?!

MilesD

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
yup, most ironic was the 7th, a fireblade, which was chained to a post outside Hackney cop shop.......the theft was watched by the on duty boys as chain was ground then bike rolled into an old freezer van :) :).......... I now hide the picasso in the.....err
Shiney baubles will always attract magpies.
The IG production approach of 0 units for us mortals is the best theft avoidance strategy I can think of..... :cool:

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:17 AM
Reaction score
Hadn't heard of Thatcham before reading it in Ineos literature and the website. I thought it was a brand. I'll probably get a LoJack anyway.

I plan to use the same anti-theft systems I've always used. Mine is Austrian some days, German on others. Glock or Sig Sauer, in best mm. 10mm.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hadn't heard of Thatcham before reading it in Ineos literature and the website. I thought it was a brand. I'll probably get a LoJack anyway.

I plan to use the same anti-theft systems I've always used. Mine is Austrian some days, German on others. Glock or Sig Sauer, in best mm. 10mm.
15 round Austrian?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

were British, 12 bore and .223

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I usually only rely on an antitheft system when i am away from the vehicle.
Your system seems to require the driver to be present so is more an anti-carjack system.
That is an extremely rare event in Australia

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was told last autumn that the vehicle systems were at Thatcham being tested. All along Ineos have said the grenie would be cat 1 Thatcham approved. I can only think the vehicle has failed to meet the standard on the security or safety, so why not just be honest and tell us that in stead of weaselling out with a "tell your insurance" email! Makes me wonder what the various warranty's will be worth in the long run.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:17 PM
Reaction score
I usually only rely on an antitheft system when i am away from the vehicle.
Your system seems to require the driver to be present so is more an anti-carjack system.
That is an extremely rare event in Australia
Hm, due to the more sophisticated anti theft systems - it is more into acquisition of keys.
A friend of mine is one of the chief security guys at a bank in Frankfurt
has a permanent carry license, very difficult to get granted in Germany at all. Most security guys have it only while at work..
. - we meet occasionally at range. And he is quite a familiar face at police.. because he grabs here and there a thug.
So what happed.. he purchased a quite powerful BMW.. (happened in 2019)
So one week after getting the car (brand new - in a garage) - One key was in a hidden safe - the other was with him.
When he returned home from work (with another vehicle) he found 2 guys in his home searching for the car key of the beamer.
.. As this guy a bit a "Reacher" he sorted this problem quite fast.. (Not even using the firearm) and the 2 lads were ready packaged for police to be picked up.
Police was a bit shocked .. they were first thinking he killed both .. what would have caused a bit more bureaucratic work.
What the guy was wondering about - how did the thieves learn about where to find this vehicle. - It had less than 120 kms, brand new.. one week registered and noone knew about it.. except dealer, insurer and registration office. Who leaked where to find the car?
Long Story short - most cars here that are of "interest" by certain people are all equipped with some antitheft capability, immobilisers, track and trace.
So the easiest way would be get the key and shift the vehicle in a HGV or transporter with all metal cover as a faradays cage to prevent locator communication..
People are rarely trained like my pal.., firearms for protection not permitted..but people usually do not treat car transponders as a "value" so on a wallhook, or on the kitchen table.. - easy to find and to snatch.
Most prefer stealth mode .. although certain groups tend to go for brute force to acquire what they want.

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@haigo
hm pandora is from Russia can this stuff still be purchased in Germany or anywhere else in Europe ( I must confess never heard of that brand)
Additional protection on rust - I was not considering.. - instead a transparent foil on body.
The glass protection by haverkamp is very interesting. (Also I wasn't aware of that - it seems all windows need to be removed in order to apply this?
What is the cost of all this and what additional weight is applied to.. - I was aware that some foil applied to house windows to resist fire and hammer..
Need to some more research.. on this.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
1:17 PM
Reaction score
I actually wonder what the IG has failed on from this explanation taken off the internet.

A little worrying is that is doesn’t sound like rocket science and surely one expert employed by the company could have said what it needed and also given it a yes or no approval if someone else had designed it !!

However these days it is true that thieves generally steal cars with the keys.

Thatcham Category 1

Thatcham Category 1 devices must have an electronic alarm and immobiliser. In the event that a thief gains access to your vehicle, the immobiliser will isolate at least two vehicle operating systems, rendering the vehicle inoperable. Category 1 devices will also feature perimeter and ignition detection and also sensors to detect vehicle movements such as tilting or glass breaking.

Whilst category 1 devices are at the top of the market, vehicles such as the Land Rover Discovery and Mercedes-Benz C Class, which have been fitted with Thatcham Category 1 devices since 1998 and 1997 respectively, are still two of the most commonly stolen vehicles(1). If you have a Thatcham Category 1 device on your vehicle, consider an S5 or S7 vehicle tracker as well. This will help to ensure your vehicle is recovered in the event that your vehicle is stolen.

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The german pricelist refers to Thatcham Category 2, which is a immobiliser-only category – alarms are not awarded this status. A Thatcham Category 1 alarm will feature perimeter and ignition detection, and incorporate movement, glass break and/or tilt sensors.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The german pricelist refers to Thatcham Category 2, which is a immobiliser-only category – alarms are not awarded this status. A Thatcham Category 1 alarm will feature perimeter and ignition detection, and incorporate movement, glass break and/or tilt sensors.
Yes, I suspect that it's the perimeter detection bit that might be the issue

Reactions: PBD
Back
Top Bottom