The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Air conditioning - heating

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:47 AM
Reaction score
I don’t often like having the heating on in a car, but drive to Canberra and it was cold so O switched the climate control to the warm side and really got nothing but cold air until basically all the way across to the warm side and then got a little bit of warm air. Anyone else had this?

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t often like having the heating on in a car, but drive to Canberra and it was cold so O switched the climate control to the warm side and really got nothing but cold air until basically all the way across to the warm side and then got a little bit of warm air. Anyone else had this?
Unbelievable - I got the opposite on Monday..

Early morning drive - bit chilly - put the temp control on 21C, auto & aircon - got super hot air blowing...and blowing....and blowing.

After 10 minutes with the system not picking up it was about 35C inside the cabin and sweat forming on my forehead - turned the temp control down to 19C but no, hot air continued to blow for another 5 minutes until I turned the system off and dropped the windown down.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:47 AM
Reaction score
Hi @AnD3rew , yes, I think many of us have problems with the climate control. It's been bothering me from the start, even though I've been able to live with it so far (winter is yet to come). But I always like to get to the bottom of things.
So I took a closer look at the function of my climate control. During two long trips (several hours) on different days.

One thing in advance. My heater can blow really hot air and the air conditioner can make it really cold.
So I think the base is ok. But the regulation does not fit from my point of view.
I have analysed the different circuits or positions and summarised the results in the attached pdf.

By the way, I'm not surprised that the windscreen fogs up from the outside (I've already written that somewhere).
This has to happen. When the AUTO button is pressed, there is always cold air at the top of the windscreen nozzles.
Even at high adjusted interior temperatures.
This is not normal either, as I read somewhere (I seem to remember BMW being mentioned).
Neither with our Disco4 nor with the old Disco2 did this happen, no matter what the weather. On the contrary, the automatic climate control also heated the windscreen. Somehow Land Rover has a better handle on it than BMW.
But if the windscreen fogs up: wipe regularly or switch A/C on, AUTO off.

It is also interesting that with Climate Control off and AUTO off, only cold air blows everywhere despite the temperature being set to warm. Furthermore, the air flows do not match the settings of the AIR FLOW ZONES knob.

I have given the overview to the INEOS Automotive colleagues. Let's see what happens. Maybe they already have a solution in the software update.

I will continue to make and compare my records especially when the weather changes.

Attachments

• Climate Control Grenadier rovie.pdf
    13.4 KB · Views: 150

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @AnD3rew , yes, I think many of us have problems with the climate control. It's been bothering me from the start, even though I've been able to live with it so far (winter is yet to come). But I always like to get to the bottom of things.
So I took a closer look at the function of my climate control. During two long trips (several hours) on different days.

One thing in advance. My heater can blow really hot air and the air conditioner can make it really cold.
So I think the base is ok. But the regulation does not fit from my point of view.
I have analysed the different circuits or positions and summarised the results in the attached pdf.

By the way, I'm not surprised that the windscreen fogs up from the outside (I've already written that somewhere).
This has to happen. When the AUTO button is pressed, there is always cold air at the top of the windscreen nozzles.
Even at high adjusted interior temperatures.
This is not normal either, as I read somewhere (I seem to remember BMW being mentioned).
Neither with our Disco4 nor with the old Disco2 did this happen, no matter what the weather. On the contrary, the automatic climate control also heated the windscreen. Somehow Land Rover has a better handle on it than BMW.
But if the windscreen fogs up: wipe regularly or switch A/C on, AUTO off.

It is also interesting that with Climate Control off and AUTO off, only cold air blows everywhere despite the temperature being set to warm. Furthermore, the air flows do not match the settings of the AIR FLOW ZONES knob.

I have given the overview to the INEOS Automotive colleagues. Let's see what happens. Maybe they already have a solution in the software update.

I will continue to make and compare my records especially when the weather changes.
My goodness.

Tanters

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
Jumped in the car this morning on a balmy 14c day. Must be hitting that age with hot flushes (!) or something but needed to cool the car down …… turned the dial to cold and only hot air blew out the vents. It was like that for awhile so I went old fashioned and opened the window.

Hit the aircon switch and that brings the cold air. So, without aircon on, does the temp dial have any variance?

Tanters

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Oh, and is there anywhere in the settings to display temp inside the car? I only found the exterior temp setting. Thanks!

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Oh, and is there anywhere in the settings to display temp inside the car? I only found the exterior temp setting. Thanks!
I have looked throughout the display settings and can not find any such function.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Jumped in the car this morning on a balmy 14c day. Must be hitting that age with hot flushes (!) or something but needed to cool the car down …… turned the dial to cold and only hot air blew out the vents. It was like that for awhile so I went old fashioned and opened the window.

Hit the aircon switch and that brings the cold air. So, without aircon on, does the temp dial have any variance?
My understanding is that it is only possible to increase the air temperature (hotter) inside the car to more than the outside temp without using the aircon and it is not possible to do the opposite; i.e. make the inside cooler than the outside.

The "Auto" control on the "Temp" knob ensures that whatever inside temp you have selected (on the Temp knob) stays constant irrespective of changes in the outside temp.

The aircon is only for generating cold air.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

It is an intelligent aircon control.
You hit cold and the aircon said "14 degrees outside, stupid man, he meant heat"

Tanters

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My understanding is that it is only possible to increase the air temperature (hotter) inside the car to more than the outside temp without using the aircon and it is not possible to do the opposite; i.e. make the inside cooler than the outside.

The "Auto" control on the "Temp" knob ensures that whatever inside temp you have selected (on the Temp knob) stays constant irrespective of changes in the outside temp.

The aircon is only for generating cold air.
Ok, thanks for that. Makes sense.
I did cop that when you turn the temp dial, there is a temp display at the top of the screen which helps.

Every day is a learning day with this car 😅👍

Omnivorax

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:47 PM
Reaction score
Just had the same problem. Needed the heating for the first time, switched the control to maximum - the result not more than lukewarm air. Only when pressing the front demister button the temperature rises for few moments just to get cold again....
Similar problem with the cooling function: on auto modus the ac works like all or nothing.....either to cold or it blows hot air into the car while the outside has over 30°C (> 90 Fahrenheit)

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:47 PM
Reaction score
Just had the same problem. Needed the heating for the first time, switched the control to maximum - the result not more than lukewarm air. Only when pressing the front demister button the temperature rises for few moments just to get cold again....
Similar problem with the cooling function: on auto modus the ac works like all or nothing.....either to cold or it blows hot air into the car while the outside has over 30°C (> 90 Fahrenheit)
Same with me. Wanted to use heating for the first time, but nothing even close to a warm breeze out of any nozzles, at non of the knob settings...

Vidar

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:47 AM
Reaction score
I am having the same issues. The temp dial is essentially useless. Unless I put it on full heat or full cold it does very little.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am having the same issues. The temp dial is essentially useless. Unless I put it on full heat or full cold it does very little.
are you just using the temp control to try to achieve max. heat or do you activate the "auto" button first then turn up the heat?
I found that activating the auto button and then turning the temp control up to max got the vehicle heater going quite quickly...

Local time
11:47 AM
Reaction score
once they release the PDF factory manual/wiring diagrams I can help anyone interested in working out what may be going on here. I've run into similar issues when the e39 5 series and found several with the stepper motors for the control flaps of the hvac control harness being inversed either from the factory or haphazard work under the dash at some point prior to the issue. Was not too hard to sus out once I could get the labscope leads onto the circuit to see which were being commanded closed and when.

If the wiring from the factory doesn't match the wiring diagram but is consistent on all that have come off the line so far the easier fix will likely be software update based.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom