The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Air conditioning - heating

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:22 AM
Reaction score
Here is another oddity. When I first collected my truck, the no.1 fan setting seemed reasonable and it did push enough air to cool the car. Then at week 2 the no.1 fan setting for some reason barely blew a breathe out... and so I had to run no.2 fan setting just to cool the car at the minimum. Then this week for no reason that I can see, the no.1 fan setting is back to its proper self and pushing a good amount of air out enough to cool the vehicle. What the...
Can you tell whether the "mode" setting changed..e.g. "feet" ; "face and feet" etc? Experienced something similar and discovered what might have been a jammed flap or a 'lazy' actuator somewhere in the plenum from where the air is directed. One day I opened the driver's window at around 95 -100kmh and heard a noise like a pop or slap behind the dash as if the cabin pressure change forced a flap to move suddenly. Since then the A/C and fan been working acceptably.

Chris

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:22 AM
Reaction score
Thanks but mine shows the time.
Configure one of the “info areas” in settings to show what you want it to, there is a list, tick what you want to show there, time, altitude, temperature etc etc.
You can do it with all of the small readings along the top and the info box at the bottom that you scroll through (normally got mpg etc showing there)

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Did someone mention outside temperature display? I can’t find it.
If Outside temp is not displaying you can get it to display at the top of the screen as shown in Clark Kents post #28 you can get it to display by doing the following: SETTINGS/Display Settings/Config Info Areas/ Info4 and then select OUTSIDE TEMP

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here is another oddity. When I first collected my truck, the no.1 fan setting seemed reasonable and it did push enough air to cool the car. Then at week 2 the no.1 fan setting for some reason barely blew a breathe out... and so I had to run no.2 fan setting just to cool the car at the minimum. Then this week for no reason that I can see, the no.1 fan setting is back to its proper self and pushing a good amount of air out enough to cool the vehicle. What the...
Double check that the vents are actually on the open settings. I couldn't get air through some vents and then to my embarrassment discovered that it was because, in my fiddling, I had turned some vents off!!

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Double check that the vents are actually on the open settings. I couldn't get air through some vents and then to my embarrassment discovered that it was because, in my fiddling, I had turned some vents off!!
The vents are controlled by an ECU and they are failing to open.

This isn't finger trouble, it's a car problem (if it was finger trouble - I'll walk away from my cars and never drive again) :) I have reported it to my agent who said Ineos are working on it.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Can you tell whether the "mode" setting changed..e.g. "feet" ; "face and feet" etc? Experienced something similar and discovered what might have been a jammed flap or a 'lazy' actuator somewhere in the plenum from where the air is directed. One day I opened the driver's window at around 95 -100kmh and heard a noise like a pop or slap behind the dash as if the cabin pressure change forced a flap to move suddenly. Since then the A/C and fan been working acceptably.
I run the exact settings all the time such is
Fan x1
Front dash venting only (no feet etc).
Both side console (round vents) in open.
No changes made and it just randomly did its thing over a week period.
Thinking back it did align with an electrics gremlin which I posted earlier on with a bunch of unavailable alerts being no down hill assist, no up hill, steering, braking performance etc. I just drive through these and they diarised m disappear. I'll see if it occurs again if these alerts pop up again.

Murray2105

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
If Outside temp is not displaying you can get it to display at the top of the screen as shown in Clark Kents post #28 you can get it to display by doing the following: SETTINGS/Display Settings/Config Info Areas/ Info4 and then select OUTSIDE TEMP
Thanks found it and done.

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:22 AM
Reaction score
The Aircon/Heater/Ventilation is not working properly on several cars. Many customers are affected. My windscreen was foggy several times. This can be dangerous! It is a major malfunction. Put pressure on your dealer. Let Ineos know that there is a problem. They have to fix this and I am confident they will if they feel the urgency.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For what it’s worth my heating does not work (and I’m not convinced the air con does what it should albeit this has not been tested exhaustively so it might be).

In summary, passenger side front possibly gets a little heat when temp set to max (with or without air con on and irrespective of which vent) but it’s not obvious. We concluded it was a possible because the driver’s side front seemed even colder (ie absolutely no heat). Interestingly the rear vents do seem to work and a proper flow of warm/hot air does seem to come out of these. Why would this be? Is there a valve/valves that is/are stuck shut or are they not opening because it‘s not getting any electronic message that it should be open or might it be something else?
I have posted about our crap HVAC in numerous threads and I seem to have matching symptoms to yours. In auto mode it takes over an hour of driving before the system works out what it should be doing. Up until that point, the right hand front vents are generally colder than the left hand side and the rear vents seem to distribute the air temperature requested.

My car can produce very hot air: usually momentarily and then back to cold. The weekend was very chilly, and so was I as a consequence. This morning it is rainy and avoiding a steamed up Grenadier is difficult!

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For what it’s worth my heating does not work (and I’m not convinced the air con does what it should albeit this has not been tested exhaustively so it might be).

In summary, passenger side front possibly gets a little heat when temp set to max (with or without air con on and irrespective of which vent) but it’s not obvious. We concluded it was a possible because the driver’s side front seemed even colder (ie absolutely no heat). Interestingly the rear vents do seem to work and a proper flow of warm/hot air does seem to come out of these. Why would this be? Is there a valve/valves that is/are stuck shut or are they not opening because it‘s not getting any electronic message that it should be open or might it be something else?
I find that the flaps directing the air inside are either slow to react, stuck or don’t know what they’re are doing. If you rotate to demist the front windscreen, the flaps rotate 10 seconds later. Most annoyingly if you have Auto mode switched on, I found at 60 to 70 mph there is a whistling noise. I tracked it down to the ventilation system by turning the fan to position 1 and the whistling noise disappears. So now I aways have it on fan speed 1. Also the issue with the high pitch frequency on max fan speed which doesn’t sound right.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I find that the flaps directing the air inside are either slow to react, stuck or don’t know what they’re are doing. If you rotate to demist the front windscreen, the flaps rotate 10 seconds later. Most annoyingly if you have Auto mode switched on, I found at 60 to 70 mph there is a whistling noise. I tracked it down to the ventilation system by turning the fan to position 1 and the whistling noise disappears. So now I aways have it on fan speed 1. To to mention the high pitch frequency on max fan speed.
We have a whistle on fan speed 2 with airflow to face and feet. Turning to windscreen and feet, or adjusting the fan speed kills the noise. I actually rejected a new 3 Series Touring in 2020 because of HVAC issues and hope we are not in for another round of dash out chaos with the Grenadier because in my opinion when the dash has been out; the vehicle is never quite right again.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:22 PM
Reaction score
I find that the flaps directing the air inside are either slow to react, stuck or don’t know what they’re are doing. If you rotate to demist the front windscreen, the flaps rotate 10 seconds later. Most annoyingly if you have Auto mode switched on, I found at 60 to 70 mph there is a whistling noise. I tracked it down to the ventilation system by turning the fan to position 1 and the whistling noise disappears. So now I aways have it on fan speed 1. Also the issue with the high pitch frequency on max fan speed which doesn’t sound right.
Is there a whistle with the system turned off too?

Mitchell300

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Following the software update I had no heating on the drivers side (RHD). Thanks to your post I tried what you suggested. On the motorway at about 65 mph, opened and closed both front windows a couple of times and that worked. Heating has been working normally for a couple of days now. Didn’t hear any noise like you did. Thanks.

Dr. John

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve put down my experience on another thread, but to recap:
1. The heater water is frequently not full on delivery and then suffers airlocks. It needs pressure flushing and filling when the engine is completely cold.
2. The air con also comes from the factory incompletely charged and useless.
3. There are multiple software upgrades which help with the control of both functions once 1. and 2. Have been sorted.

Local time
Reaction score
Unbelievable - I got the opposite on Monday..

Early morning drive - bit chilly - put the temp control on 21C, auto & aircon - got super hot air blowing...and blowing....and blowing.

After 10 minutes with the system not picking up it was about 35C inside the cabin and sweat forming on my forehead - turned the temp control down to 19C but no, hot air continued to blow for another 5 minutes until I turned the system off and dropped the windown down.
I tested a demo here for a day and it was only pushing hot air out. When I spoke to the dealership they asked me to turn the car off for a bit and on again. That didn't work but then after parking it for a day the AC was working

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:22 AM
Reaction score
I’ve put down my experience on another thread, but to recap:
1. The heater water is frequently not full on delivery and then suffers airlocks. It needs pressure flushing and filling when the engine is completely cold.
2. The air con also comes from the factory incompletely charged and useless.
3. There are multiple software upgrades which help with the control of both functions once 1. and 2. Have been sorted

I did all of that and id did not help. I get cold air. I get very hot air but nothing in between. My dealer tells me for a very long time now that Ineos is aware of this issue and that they are working on a fix. What does your dealer say?

Reactions: PBD

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone experiencing serious issues with their HVAC system: there is NO fix from Ineos, they do not know what they’re doing. They’ve had my car since December and can’t fix it. It has not been right since day one and my dealer has known this, however they are now playing a game of semantics and technicalities around consumer law and my next step is to engage a solicitor.

If you have issues, log them early as they can’t be repaired and they will not reward you for being compromising; as I have been since October last year.

Reactions: PBD

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone experiencing serious issues with their HVAC system: there is NO fix from Ineos, they do not know what they’re doing. They’ve had my car since December and can’t fix it. It has not been right since day one and my dealer has known this, however they are now playing a game of semantics and technicalities around consumer law and my next step is to engage a solicitor.

If you have issues, log them early as they can’t be repaired and they will not reward you for being compromising; as I have been since October last year.
What’s the issue with your HVAC. Dealers have the fix as far as I’m aware regarding aircon and hot/cold. Only outstanding issue that Ineos are looking into is the fan high frequency pitch on fan speed 4. Sometimes the actuators would be slow to respond and some have sticky actuators (half closed) resulting in whistling whilst driving at speed.

Back
Top Bottom