The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Q&A Americas Aftermarker Roof Racks vs Warranty

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
4:13 PM
Reaction score
Owners manual has a statement that only the factory rack is approved as a gutter-mounted rack. Where does that leave Front Runner regarding Warranty?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:13 AM
Reaction score
No answer?
Anyway I believe Frontrunner do not reduce rating for offroad (unsealed , dirt , uneven) surfaces.
Some mfrs do (Factor /1.5)
Here is another cautionary video ; well worth watching esp if you use the heavier hardshell roof tents.
Do your sums , with the 1.5 reducing factor you may get a surprise as to your legal cargo load.

View: https://youtu.be/eMx232haRyo

Vote:

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Tazzieman I don't think your statement on FrontRunner is correct, FrontRunner refer you to the vehicle manufacturer for their load ratings rather than making a claim. See my Q&A with them below.

It appears they focus on engineering their platform to exceed the vehicles rating so it's not the weak point. I enclosed Front Runner's response.
After all it's the Grenadier's gutters you are attaching to.

And the Rhino rack calculations and figures are not available for the Ineos through Rhino, so you only have the roof rating figures from Ineos.

I contacted Front Runner and asked before buying the Slimline II and got the answer below:

Screen Shot 2023-08-03 at 11.51.12 am.png

NOTE: I have the 3/4 Slimline II rack as I have Safari roof and an Ineos released Rhino rack is not available yet (While it's coming for dual cab ute but I couldn't wait).
For the 3/4 Slimline II rack they supply 4 legs each side but the legs are slightly less wide than the rhino legs where there are only 4 for the full size rack.
If you were worried you could fit six legs in going with spacing every 2 slats, and get the same metal cross section in the channel.

I have fitted the Slimline 2 and the gutter mountings are superbly engineered. I am very impressed. And for those interested it weighs approx 43kg.

Regds Doug.

Vote:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@Tazzieman I don't think your statement on FrontRunner is correct, FrontRunner refer you to the vehicle manufacturer for their load ratings rather than making a claim. See my Q&A with them below.

It appears they focus on engineering their platform to exceed the vehicles rating so it's not the weak point. I enclosed Front Runner's response.

And the Rhino rack calculations and figures are not available for the Ineos through Rhino, so you only have the roof rating figures from Ineos.

I contacted Front Runner and asked before buying the Slimline II and got the answer below:

View attachment 7822173

NOTE: I have the 3/4 Slimline II rack as I have Safari roof and an Ineos released Rhino rack is not available yet (While it's coming for dual cab ute but I couldn't wait).
For the 3/4 Slimline II rack they supply 4 legs each side but the legs are slightly less wide than the rhino legs where there are only 4 for the full size rack.
If you were worried you could fit six legs in going with spacing every 2 slats, and get the same metal cross section in the channel.

I have fitted the Slimline 2 and the gutter mountings are superbly engineered. I am very impressed. And for those interested it weighs approx 43kg.

Regds Doug.
This is a drawing I received from Frontrunner for a 2570mm rack they were developing for the Grenadier
Their initial product was 2368 but I asked them to make it as long as possible to clear the Safari windows.
The blue line is the Safari window at full open
My thought was to slide it forward right to the edge and remove or slide back these three rungs.
That would allow you to open and remove the safari window
If you just wanted to open them you would only have to remove one rung.
This would then provide a full length rack and allow for a light bar to be mounted on the front
1691040769137.png

Vote:

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is a drawing I received from Frontrunner for a 2570mm rack they were developing for the Grenadier
Their initial product was 2368 but I asked them to make it as long as possible to clear the Safari windows.
The blue line is the Safari window at full open
My thought was to slide it forward right to the edge and remove or slide back these three rungs.
That would allow you to open and remove the safari window
If you just wanted to open them you would only have to remove one rung.
This would then provide a full length rack and allow for a light bar to be mounted on the front
View attachment 7822174
Interesting - I have seen pictures of someone with the Frontrunner full size with all three bars removed, which you can't do with the Rhino or any other North/South platforms)
I also saw that Black Sheep do a standalone front light bar for the roof that mounts off the gutter so you can leave the safari roof open and go with a 3/4 rack. Its pricey though... and theres only the gutter to nest the cable in back to the roof mount outlets. If I put a light bar on mine it will blaze through safari windows, kinda like late afternoon sun does when you are driving away from it - worse if driving into it or - kinda need blinds on the safari roof panels)

Vote:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7822173

Regds Doug.
I'm also impressed by the FR 3/4 and I don't think I will have problems with the calculated cargo limit.
Though this is a stunt , it does show some inherent strength!
Reminds me of the 60s Mercedes Pagoda ; that could be lifted of the ground by the windscreen pillars (should the need arise...)
View: https://youtu.be/Tz-Zw5cyBEo

Vote:

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:13 PM
Reaction score
OP: Here in the US, if you buy a non-OEM product for your vehicle, it does not automatically void the vehicles warranties. In order for a manufacturer to deny a claim, they have to show/prove that your non-OEM item caused the warranty issue.

If for example, you buy the Frontrunner (FR) and after you mount it, your central diff stops working, IG still has to honor your normal 5 yr warranty (Or prove your rack caused your diff to fail). If on the other hand your vehicle started leaking water when it rained because the FR rack affected the way water was supposed to drain from the vehicle, you‘re most likely SOL as far as an IG covered claim. Not unless the gutters themselves are defective and the same issue would have happened with the OEM rack. There obviously can be a zillion nuanced issues in any claim, but that’s it in basic terms.

It all stems from the Magnuson-Moss Act and although it’s a bit long, the section I’m referring to above has to do with “Tie-in-Sales” provisions. Dealers know this stuff and generally it’s not worth their time, effort, and energy (and bad press) to litigate, so unless there’s clear and compelling evidence of a causal link, most dealers aren’t going to give you too much pushback. They may try if it’s an expensive repair, but ultimately they know if they can’t prove your engine stopped working because you put a roof rack on your IG, it’s on them to fix your engine.

Vote:

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:13 PM
Reaction score
In Canada we have the Canadian Competition Act which is supposed to see “tied selling" as anti-competitive and as such, a violation of the Act.

But if any aftermarket parts you add yourself *can* be blamed for additional wear and tear or additional damage in a collision … I think all bets are off. Examples I’ve seen in other forums: wheels with different widths or offsets impacting steering system, bearing, suspension warranty. Also, winches/bumpers/bashbars impacting suspension warranty and also insurance may try to use them to walk away from collision claims since they are neither crash tested nor certified. Of course, an insurance policy can be purchased to cover *anything* if you have the patience and foresight.

Aftermarket roof racks and aftermarket accessories up there … yes, water drain and corrosion warranty adjacent. The dealer could deny a claim but they’d have to prove it if you take it to a civil case. Also if racks contribute to body or structural damage under a collision insurance claim … I dunno. Ask your broker, as they say. And get it in writing.

Added: I wish Canada had something as explicit as the Magnuson-Moss Act when it comes to consumer rights to maintain and upgrade their vehicles. 🇨🇦🍻🇺🇸

Last edited:
Vote:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting - I have seen pictures of someone with the Frontrunner full size with all three bars removed, which you can't do with the Rhino or any other North/South platforms)
I also saw that Black Sheep do a standalone front light bar for the roof that mounts off the gutter so you can leave the safari roof open and go with a 3/4 rack. Its pricey though... and theres only the gutter to nest the cable in back to the roof mount outlets. If I put a light bar on mine it will blaze through safari windows, kinda like late afternoon sun does when you are driving away from it - worse if driving into it or - kinda need blinds on the safari roof panels)
On the FR rack the first bar is hard up against the front of the rack and shouldn't be removed as it adds rigidity.
The rack can be mounted so the front bar is right at the front of the roof so you should get zero light spill from an LED bar through the Safari windows.
This would still allow very long loads, such as a full size SUP board (14 foot) to be mounted and also a full length awning.
I also want to load sheets of yellow tongue (3600mm), plywood (2400mm) and timber framing (4800mm) on the roof.

Vote:
Back
Top Bottom