The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Gutters surviving 420kg?

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:01 AM
Reaction score
This week I prepared everything to put our new Soft Roof Tent on the Grenadier, Ineos Crossbars are still not delivered, so I bought additional the Thule Crossbars. To be able to mount alone, I installed a electrical 250kg winch the garage. For the gutters I made L-Profile 170x30x15 and 2mm thick. This spread the pressure a little bit better. The screws at the tent have to be changed, the original one are too short for Thule.
I investigate, that the power outlets are not parallel on both sides, therefore I had to change the bars two times. But easy with the winch in the garage.
Now i have to at lockable nuts on the crossbars….

Attachments

• IMG_5411.jpeg
    IMG_5411.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5421.jpeg
    IMG_5421.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5422.jpeg
    IMG_5422.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_5423.jpeg
    IMG_5423.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5424.jpeg
    IMG_5424.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 101

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:01 PM
Reaction score
This week I prepared everything to put our new Soft Roof Tent on the Grenadier, Ineos Crossbars are still not delivered, so I bought additional the Thule Crossbars. To be able to mount alone, I installed a electrical 250kg winch the garage. For the gutters I made L-Profile 170x30x15 and 2mm thick. This spread the pressure a little bit better. The screws at the tent have to be changed, the original one are too short for Thule.
I investigate, that the power outlets are not parallel on both sides, therefore I had to change the bars two times. But easy with the winch in the garage.
Now i have to at lockable nuts on the crossbars….
That's a neat solution all around! The electric winch is a great idea!
A closer look at your image # 5422.jpeg seems to show the metal piece which is under the clamp foot has lifted closer to the roof seeming to indicate that the weight plus clamping force is concentrated at the outer edge which is not what you intended.
In thread https://www.theineosforum.com/threa...r-on-the-grab-rails.12412618/#post-1333194716 @Christoph has posted a simple solution (also taken up by @jb_hamon ) using pvc blocks with Thule legs/clamps to move the feet well away from the outer edge of the gutter. You could put this in place in a few minutes: cut the blocks from a thick "plastic" kitchen cutting board (tell the Mrs it's for a good cause! ;-) ) Leave your metal strips in place: with the feet closer to the roof, the weight distribution will be even more effective! "win/win" :)

Last edited:

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@DenisM No, the gutter surface is not flat inside, to the innerside is a small step of 0.5mm. The longside of the L touch the surface, but caused of the 0.5mm it‘s up in the middle. I will put now some rubber between, to equal the surface. AND have an aluminium bar prepared as spacer, have to cut in pieces in the next days

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Had a good look at the gutters today. They are actually very solid it’s just the sheer width that means with a lot of weight on the edge they will deform just because of the leverage. Any rack leg needs to be able to have the weight sit close to the body

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Had a good look at the gutters today. They are actually very solid it’s just the sheer width that means with a lot of weight on the edge they will deform just because of the leverage. Any rack leg needs to be able to have the weight sit close to the body
Yes I don't care for the potential for lateral forces induced by some roof bars I've seen.

I don't want to see any movement when I hang violently off them

Reactions: PBD

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@DenisM No, the gutter surface is not flat inside, to the innerside is a small step of 0.5mm. The longside of the L touch the surface, but caused of the 0.5mm it‘s up in the middle. I will put now some rubber between, to equal the surface. AND have an aluminium bar prepared as spacer, have to cut in pieces in the next days
So today next step: Spacer in Aluminium and under the L rubber strip .IMG_5449.jpeg

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Jumped now to the original Rhino Crossbars (delivered monday with the side steps), what can I say: Thule is a toy in comparison. Rhino much more solid and fit perfect in the gutters. Thule was a wrong investment…IMG_5525.jpegIMG_5527.jpeg

Deepblue

#00274 - Swiss Vehicle (SD1-1/63)
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Jumped now to the original Rhino Crossbars (delivered monday with the side steps), what can I say: Thule is a toy in comparison. Rhino much more solid and fit perfect in the gutters. Thule was a wrong investment…View attachment 7823020View attachment 7823021
Hi @Lollo050968 thank you, very helpful comment. I have some Thule bars as interim solution as the official Rhino ones are not yet available as I had not ordered together with my car. What is the measure of the bar profile? I can’t find this info in the Ineos description.

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @Lollo050968 thank you, very helpful comment. I have some Thule bars as interim solution as the official Rhino ones are not yet available as I had not ordered together with my car. What is the measure of the bar profile? I can’t find this info in the Ineos description.
110 x 30mm

Mercurio

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
4:01 AM
Reaction score
I guess in the way one might liken it to the Cresta Run. 😉

But several Front Runner racks have been used in official Ineos marketing photos, and Ineos have talked so much about open source info for aftermarket suppliers that to imply that warranty could be voided by using a reputable third party would be rather two faced.
Is there an answer yet? Will Aftermarket racks/accessories void Ineos’ warranty??

Back
Top Bottom