The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Gutters surviving 420kg?

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:29 AM
Reaction score
I feel the rain-gutter criticism is like the armchair drivers saying the Gren is not a Range Rover. If you choose a poorly designed rack your gutters will suffer. I have driven heavy roof rack loads on flimsy gutters, even occasionally sliding along trees - they never bent even though the plastic trim cracked.

Reactions: PBD

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:29 AM
Reaction score
In what way does it look tortured.
I guess in the way one might liken it to the Cresta Run. 😉

I think it’s been well tested and at least being the Rhino Rack you get a warranty plus it’s the only Rack approved for the Grenadier.
But several Front Runner racks have been used in official Ineos marketing photos, and Ineos have talked so much about open source info for aftermarket suppliers that to imply that warranty could be voided by using a reputable third party would be rather two faced.

• Love

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I guess in the way one might liken it to the Cresta Run. 😉

But several Front Runner racks have been used in official Ineos marketing photos, and Ineos have talked so much about open source info for aftermarket suppliers that to imply that warranty could be voided by using a reputable third party would be rather two faced.
Two faced maybe but I’d rather have a dealer fit Rhino Rack than a front runner rack in the event of a warranty claim personally. Some racks are just not up to it and I don’t know whether Rhino Rack are! but I had an Eeziawn on my defender and bolts just ripped out of the extrusion slots slots under e hard conditions so I consider a dealer fit and Ineos supplied roof rack the safer option for me. I’ll let you all know after my my tour including a few thousand K of corrugated roads how the Rhino rack stands up.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, I can see the position you want to be in if the gutters prove to be a weak point and it may be idealistic to assume Ineos would accept that as readily with a third party rack. 👍

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, I can see the position you want to be in if the gutters prove to be a weak point and it may be idealistic to assume Ineos would accept that as readily with a third party rack. 👍
Come September I’ll be testing it sure enough for six months and fully loaded. Let’s see 👍🏼

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
8:29 PM
Reaction score
Does the Rhino have a full length support spine in the roof gutter?

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've posted in a couple threads that I see the IG rain gutter no different than my repeatedly overloaded Series/RRC/Discovery rain gutters, and therefore have no concerns mounting a rack. Then questions were posed about the IG rain gutter width, resulting rack foot (in)compatibility, and even potential work-arounds. Since I am likely 9-months from my Gren and now thoroughly confused, I took a deep look at all the various rack pictures others have posted. What did I find? Well, the perfect solution...

Take a look at the two Rhino rack photos below. You may have to zoom in, but look how upper and lower "clamps" are designed to clamp the center of the gutter and not against the outermost lip.

Rhino_Clamp_top.jpeg

Rhino_Clamp_bottom.jpeg

Next, look at the (hidden when mounted) leg reinforcement, and the fact all four legs form one outer plate running the full length of the rack.

img_9474-jpg.7818815

img_9464-jpg.7818816

All of these design features help distribute loads along the gutter, preventing high loads to a single leg as the platform flexes (yes, they all flex). Genius, right?

I'm really happy with the Rhino design and very glad it's included in my order.

jb_hamon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:29 PM
Reaction score
I’m sorry but are you sure the 2nd picture is from the same roof rack? To me it doesn’t look the same at all…

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Is it just missing the plastic cover?

MarkH

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
8:29 PM
Reaction score
I'm really happy with the Rhino design
The weight is a bit limiting and cleaning the roof might be tricky with those outer plates that join the legs.
What's your opinion on the north/south running platform rails? They don't seem as practical as an east/west format.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The weight is a bit limiting and cleaning the roof might be tricky with those outer plates that join the legs.
What's your opinion on the north/south running platform rails? They don't seem as practical as an east/west format.
The roof load is still pretty usable, and I prefer the rack be over-built rather than under-built. I have witnessed more than one occasion where the rack came in contact with a tree - sort of blending the line between static and dynamic! Poorly built racks need not apply!

If I ever think the roof is too dirty, I just remove the rack to wash it. Same with gutter debris, I have had similar "shielded" foot configurations but never had any buildup.

I have no preference to the direction of the top rails. My current racks are either square or round welded tubing, so I am not invested in any of the modern players (Frontrunner, etc.). I would like to hold the Rhino Rack accessory hardware in my hands, and see what I think of it. I really look forward to dedicated fixtures on the rack - high-lift, awning, maxtrax, maybe more...

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:29 PM
Reaction score
I've posted in a couple threads that I see the IG rain gutter no different than my repeatedly overloaded Series/RRC/Discovery rain gutters, and therefore have no concerns mounting a rack. Then questions were posed about the IG rain gutter width, resulting rack foot (in)compatibility, and even potential work-arounds. Since I am likely 9-months from my Gren and now thoroughly confused, I took a deep look at all the various rack pictures others have posted. What did I find? Well, the perfect solution...

Take a look at the two Rhino rack photos below. You may have to zoom in, but look how upper and lower "clamps" are designed to clamp the center of the gutter and not against the outermost lip.

View attachment 7819117

View attachment 7819118

Next, look at the (hidden when mounted) leg reinforcement, and the fact all four legs form one outer plate running the full length of the rack.

img_9474-jpg.7818815

img_9464-jpg.7818816

All of these design features help distribute loads along the gutter, preventing high loads to a single leg as the platform flexes (yes, they all flex). Genius, right?

I'm really happy with the Rhino design and very glad it's included in my order.
When I suggested that the Rhino rack was well built the owner of Black Sheep said that it was unsuitable for the weight, this I find interesting as dynamically there is just under 20kgs on each "foot"plus the backbone distributing the weight around the vehicle gutter. while I haven't seen it in the flesh, it certainly looks robust enough to almost disprove his comment.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:29 AM
Reaction score
Sent a email to Letech last night about the cost of the roof rack with round lights set up. Starting a spreadsheet on my upgrades. It will be 5011 Euro or around 5500 USD. This is for the full set up like what is shown in pictures.

Darby

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:29 PM
Reaction score
Sent a email to Letech last night about the cost of the roof rack with round lights set up. Starting a spreadsheet on my upgrades. It will be 5011 Euro or around 5500 USD. This is for the full set up like what is shown in pictures.
Wonder on cost without lights as I'd get my own light bar, but damn, 5500 USD is pricey.

Back
Top Bottom