The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:44 AM
Reaction score
Next one! We're slowly catching up! :)
Nice footage, Albania, Turkey, countries where I have been.

I learned a new word "pottering", I hope I got it right. I have done that in my life, the "worst example" was playing chess with an American guy during one month in Asunción, capital of Paraguay when I was much younger.

One thing we should never forget, we can do that (pottering and travelling in a Grenadier) because "we" are "rich", we were born "rich", not like Jim R., but because of the place and time we were born.

Nepalese, Bolivians, Burundi's, and even Albanians, and even some of our European neighbors can't do that: born at the wrong place and wrong moment or wrong situation. That's what I always told my "half Brazilian" kids when I was raising them!

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:44 PM
Reaction score
I really look forward to these Matt, thanks for sharing the dream.
Turkey - just WOW

I have to ask, did you plan on being in the middle of the balloon launch, or was that an “ooops we shouldn’t have camped here” moment?

Last edited:

Matt P

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:44 PM
Reaction score
Nice footage, Albania, Turkey, countries where I have been.

I learned a new word "pottering", I hope I got it right. I have done that in my life, the "worst example" was playing chess with an American guy during one month in Asunción, capital of Paraguay when I was much younger.

One thing we should never forget, we can do that (pottering and travelling in a Grenadier) because "we" are "rich", we were born "rich", not like Jim R., but because of the place and time we were born.

Nepalese, Bolivians, Burundi's, and even Albanians, and even some of our European neighbors can't do that: born at the wrong place and wrong moment or wrong situation. That's what I always told my "half Brazilian" kids when I was raising them!
Hi Jean! Glad you enjoyed the footage. I’m sure we’ve all pottered from time to time. I’m one of the worst as I always want to be productive but sometimes the best way to do that is to chill for a bit. Your example of playing chess makes sense, it’s largely whatever you deem it to be to be honest. Whenever I ask my mum about what she did at the weekend, she mostly replies.. “Just pottered” 😂

What you say about us being fortunate with where and when we were born is spot on. It’s also one of the reasons we’re doing Project Wild Earth https://projectwildearth.com/ as it’s important from our perspective that if we’re able to create an opportunity like this then we should do our bit to contribute in some way to a cause that’s close to our hearts. That will be different for different people and no one person will solve the worlds problems but if we all do our little bit, it does help.

There’s many more people other than the nationalities you listed that have a tough time around the world as I’m sure we’re all aware. Even in the so called “rich” countries there’s a lot of people that have a tough start and tough life.

We’re grateful everyday for the life we lead. We worked hard for what we have and made a lot of sacrifices that many wouldn’t but despite all of this, we still appreciate and understand the massive leg up we had by being born where we were.

Matt P

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I really look forward to these Matt, thanks for sharing the dream.
Turkey - just WOW

I have to ask, did you plan on being in the middle of the balloon launch, or was that an “ooops we shouldn’t have camped here” moment?
I’m glad we can be of service in some way and that you’re enjoying the journey. As for Turkey, it’s a special country with a lot to offer. There’s more to come! 🇹🇷

The balloon launch. As we said in the video, we wanted to sleep away from the balloons initially until we got the lay of the land and so we deliberately stayed away from all marked take off or landing sites and anywhere that was flat that we thought could be used. There’s a lot of these areas and so it’s pretty easy to do that. We also weren’t too sure about what the rules were, or even if there were any but we also didn’t want to be woken up early the next day as we’d got in late… That first spot we picked was just flat enough for us and there were no signs anywhere and so we assumed we’d be ok and away from the balloons.

We spent quite a bit of time in Cappadocia in the end and spoke to a few of the balloon guys. They told us that their Chief Pilots go out each morning to identify launch sites based on the weather and wind and it’s a very fluid situation and so there’s no way to know exactly where they’ll launch from each day. It’s all rather chaotic in the mornings there to be honest. Trucks, vans and balloons everywhere and we were there in Winter, I can’t imagine what it’s like in Summer.

Despite being woken up a little earlier than planned at that first spot, it was a pretty epic surprise as you can see in the video, something we’ll never forgot and not easy to recreate as there’s a lot of variables. We did get lucky a few more times in different locations based on what we’d learned by looking at the wind and weather and talking to the balloon guys but none were as special as this first one. There was also many mornings where we thought they would launch in certain locations and it didn’t happen or we were way off. This is when we started to learn about how fluid it all was and there’s a lot of luck and variables.

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Absolutely sensational footage.!
Bum clenching icy road, pinch yourself scenery in Cappadocia. Those balloons. Wow.
I'll have to add that part of the world to Albania ideas now!

Matt P

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Absolutely sensational footage.!
Bum clenching icy road, pinch yourself scenery in Cappadocia. Those balloons. Wow.
I'll have to add that part of the world to Albania ideas now!
Took a while but it’s great to see it all come together! 🙏 The balloons were pretty special, it makes a huge difference having the ability to roam and explore on your own. As for adding areas of interest in the future, I hope you’ve got a long notepad as there’s plenty more in store! 😉 It’s going to start to get a lot more interesting from here on in. Europe was just the warm up! 🌍

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
11:44 PM
Reaction score
Fantastic episode. I rented a 4x4 for a week in Cappadocia and had a lovely time in the back country. Saw the old carved churches, went into villages, had lunch with locals. Great time. Met a lovely family in kayseri that runs a small winery and bnb. Just lovely. I'll never forget their mantis.

I'm thinking that I'll go back to the area of Mardin on my next time in Turkey. Maybe next month.

Matt P

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Fantastic episode. I rented a 4x4 for a week in Cappadocia and had a lovely time in the back country. Saw the old carved churches, went into villages, had lunch with locals. Great time. Met a lovely family in kayseri that runs a small winery and bnb. Just lovely. I'll never forget their mantis.

I'm thinking that I'll go back to the area of Mardin on my next time in Turkey. Maybe next month.
Glad you enjoyed it! As for a week in Cappadocia in your own 4x4, whatever the situation, you can’t really go wrong. Turkey has a lot to offer. The TET is a great guide, there’s a lot in the East too that we just didn’t have time for.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Next one! We're slowly catching up! :)
Another great installment, thank you Matt.

I'd just like to add that Leah could be narrating audio books and particularly children's books. She has a lovely calming voice. As Leah's husband, your experience may vary... 🙆

Pat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:44 AM
Reaction score
@Matt P I love to watch your stories and first of all Kudos to your wife/partner - she is a great story teller.
I am always amazed following your stories- so professional cut and narrative and during your trip around Vjosa River you entered into sustainability from a local point of view. I did spent a week Offroad on there on a motorcycle and I can confirm it I is easy to get lost in Albania - it was dark, heavy rain, no food, no water and at the end no fuel.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Another great installment, thank you Matt.

I'd just like to add that Leah could be narrating audio books and particularly children's books. She has a lovely calming voice. As Leah's husband, your experience may vary... 🙆

And I’ve been trying to pick the accent since Ep.1. 😉

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom