The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas 2024 ADAS Issue and Work Around (USA)

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:53 AM
Reaction score
Anyone else have two Bluetooth connections preset in their Grenadier Connections screen? I wonder if the dealer connects to the system via Bluetooth.

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:53 PM
Reaction score
Yep, so charge $399 instead of $89 for the dongle and I bet it will sell to the whiners (like me) who sincerely want to disable this factory horseshit. Speed up the R&D recovery.

Based on the loud whining here (myself included), a third party fix will sell at that price IMO.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe figuring out how dealers connect to the system for updates is half the battle?

MarkgreSC

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
2:53 AM
Reaction score
There are so many volume adjustment settings in the GUI. Shouldn't there be one for the warning sounds? I haven't been able to find which one it is yet, if there is one for the ADAS clicks.
I tried all those at 0 and 10 and could not get clicking to change. Did your security guy have any luck stumbling across the module feed wire or "clicker device"?

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I tried all those at 0 and 10 and could not get clicking to change. Did your security guy have any luck stumbling across the module feed wire or "clicker device"?
Sorry, no luck. He didn't go too far in.

MarkgreSC

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I agree, but the bigger hammer of disabling all ADAS functions as requested in post 591 does appear to happen if the camera is covered.

Also, I am really really skeptical of emergency braking based on a camera. Radar like in other cars-- maybe. I don't want a bug flying towards the camera to freak it out and cause AEB braking. The "good news" is that AEB is disabled above 81 mph.
Our Subaru Outback "stops on its own" once in a while when going down back roads, sure wakes you up and probably makes the driver behind you wonder why you forcibly and abruptly brake checked them for no reason. We have not crashed because it, but sure is uncomfortable when happens.

MarkgreSC

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
The system was designed “on purpose”. They did it for a reason, and they drove it before they sold it. Just like the rest of the truck. Do you see them chiming in on any other complaints? Do you see them chiming in on the compliments?

It’s a forum with a statistically insignificant number of buyers participating. There’s not going to be a press release telling a forum nothing is changing.
They drove the 2023's ... no clickers !!!

MarkgreSC

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Spoke to my alarm installer. He said he uses either Forscan or MyCarly to disable certain vehicle features. Maybe we can engage either company to try and disable ADAS. He also suggested a plug-in module that runs a macro that disables ADAS automatically.
Please keep us posted as ANYTHING would be a big improvement to pulling 1/2 the fuses out of the damn thing, but it stops the clicking. ;)

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:53 AM
Reaction score
I never said anything about a "remote kill switch" but you are correct the legislation doesn't use the term kill switch. It states:

a system that—can—
(i) passively monitor the performance of a driver
of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired; and
(ii)
prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if an impairment is detected;

Public Law 117-58

Call it whatever term you wish to use but it sure sounds like they are pushing for technology to prevent citizens from using their vehicles based solely on inputs from camera systems and sensors (which given how buggy and inaccurate ADAS seems to be) is not tech I want installed on any vehicle I own. The scenarios are countless in which this kind of overreach could prove detrimental to a driver and their passengers.

I also don't expect a dealership "schlub" to know exactly how a manufacturer may implement such technology in future model years- but the fact that any of this was even news to them shows how "buried" this legislation was in the infrastructure bill. The majority of the population that are not an automotive enthusiast will be blindsided in 2026 or 2027 whenever this gets rolled out across all the manufacturers. I have already gotten some friends and family to squeeze the trigger on a new vehicle purchase over the past year in anticipation of this becoming the norm. I have yet to meet anybody who is ok with any of this garbage being forced on us.

I can promise you that if I decide to take delivery of my IG order this fall (still on the fence because of the ADAS) it will for sure be the last new vehicle I ever purchase or own. I'll gladly keep my pre-2025 vehicles running for my lifetime.
I’m not sure if you actually read the 1039 page law that you cited, but the text you quoted (page 404) is related to requiring the Dept of Transportation to study whether implementing such a law would be feasible - it does not actually make it law.

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As @S52 wrote, the law is clear. It derives from the The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, passed by the Biden administration. Below is a screen shot from the law which cleared the House of Representatives on Jan 3, 2021, and became law on November 15, 2021.

The official designation of the law is: PUBLIC LAW 117–58—NOV. 15, 2021, and you can find the full text here:

Screenshot from the actual text of the law:

View attachment 7853614

The false notion that fact-checkers have rejected the concept of a "kill switch" is focused on the use of the term "kill switch" which - as is clear - does not appear in the legislation. But the term "kill switch" is just meant to grab attention. The key concept - being referred to as a "kill switch" is - to quote the actual law: "prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if an impairment is detected" - as accurately quoted by @S52 in post #629.

So the law doesn't use the term "kill switch" - is there a better term to describe "prevent or limit motor vehicle operation"?
Read a few paragraphs before your quote - this law requires the secretary of Transportation to study if this is feasible - it doesn’t make it law yet.

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Might be a platypus?

My real point though is that if DOT finishes this study and decides that they want to start implementing this, it would have to go through the rule making procedure and personally I think it would have a hard time surviving that or the inevitable court challenges to ever see actual implementation.

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Quack Quack
It is a Duck.

House Preserves ‘Kill Switch’ Law That Could Shut Down Your Car​

November 8, 2023 4 min read

House Republicans failed to defund a federal “kill switch” mandate Tuesday night requiring all vehicles produced in 2026 and onward to feature technology that can automatically disable the vehicle “if impairment is detected.” This lays the groundwork for corporate and government access to monitor and interfere with personal movement.

The 2021 infrastructure law passed by Congress requires car manufactures to include “advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology” as “standard equipment” in vehicles. The provision requires such technology to “passively monitor the performance of a driver” and “prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if an impairment is detected.” In other words, manufacturers will be required to implement a “kill switch” mechanism on cars that can disable the vehicle based on performance.

Last edited:

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:53 AM
Reaction score
Great thoughts. My feeling is engineers at Ineos have become defensive on this issue. You see it every time with bad engineering. And when it involves coding and programming NO ONE will own it, EVER. These noises are clearly more dangerous then helpful. But you can also blame the speed Nazi mentality. Sorry folks, speeding in general is not dangerous. Especially in places like Europe where speed limits are horse and buggy speeds. Driving too fast for conditions? You Bet. Being reckless? You bet. Driving 40 in a 35? Not a chance unless conditions are such you should not be, If this speed crap is not required by law somewhere the team member responsible for it at Ineos needs to be fired.

T5Ineos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I just took receipt of my
As far as I know, this is a USA Only Issue and Specific to the ADAS System in the 2024 Model. Feel free to skip the Background editorial and go to the Solution!

Background

I was lucky enough to have an early delivery and picked my Grenadier up on Nov 27th. Scottish White (Love it!), Leather, 17” Alloys, BFG K02s, Rock Sliders, +++. What follows is not about the very long list of things I love about the Grenadier, it’s about one factory configuration Issue that makes me (almost) hate it.

This issue, and it is unfortunately ‘by design,’ is part of the newly released 2024 ADAS System includes Lane Departure, Traffic Sign Recognition, Intelligent Speed Assist, Over Speed Alert, and a few other things, are ON by default and must be turned OFF deep in the Display Menu ‘every time’ you restart the vehicle.

It’s hard to explain without experiencing it but the warning Beeps, Clicks and Chimes are beyond annoying. For example, the clicking for Intelligent Speed Assist starts when you hit the stated speed limit in most cases. The amount of beeping in this vehicle is beyond anything I've ever experienced other than an ICU room in a hospital.

As a Public Service Announcement (PSA), I would encourage you to drive it when you go to pick it up.

When I say down deep in the Menu, this is the actual process to turn OFF the Over Speed Alert (Note: My Car starts up in Carplay Mode):

CarPlay > Ineos > Settings > Vehicle Settings > Vehicle Functions > ADAS Systems > Intelligent Speed Assist > Over Speed Warning > Over Speed Warning OFF > CarPlay

That is 10 Menu Clicks. Every time you restart the car if you want to turn off Lane Departure, Intelligent Speed Assist, and Over Speed Alert.

For those thinking, ‘This is no big deal, you shouldn’t be driving over the speed limit anyway ….’ Hear me know, believe me later. It is MADDENING. I mainly drive in town, and don’t drive excessively over the speed limit under any circumstances. I’d say speed limit or speed limit +5 MPH, Max. Having alerts going off when you hit the stated speed limit and after, is just wrong in my opinion.

Here is a real-world scenario: You're driving in a 40 MPH Zone .... 39 MPH to 41 MPH. CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK Back down to 40 MPH .... hit 42MPH CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK. Back down to 40 MPH. Speed up to pass a car. CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK. Repeat this scenario on your daily commute. CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK, that's a sound you'll be hearing in your sleep!

I am hoping for a Software Update. However, it says in the Manual that these features can be changed (As described above), but again, not saved after turning off the vehicle. Page 136 in the manual.

Solution
This is the best workaround I have come up with for the ADAS issue related to the constant chiming and clicking when you hit the speed limit and go beyond it. It’s not great, but it’s the best I could figure out until we hopefully get a Software Update.

From the Display: Settings > General > CCI Favourite > Settings-ISA

When you start the vehicle, let the Display cycle up / load. Then hit the Favorite Button on the center console. It will bring up the Settings-ISA Screen. Turn Off Over Speed Warning.

Note 1: If you Unselect ‘Speed Limit Info’ you will have a persistent Orange Icon on the Telltale Display (That’s the name of the small screen in front of the Steering Wheel).
Note 2: You still need to do this every time you start the Vehicle but its way better than the 10 Step approach.

I tried a few other things, including Wade Mode which disables many of these systems, and the Deactivate all ADAS Systems. The issue with both of these options is that they light up the Telltale Display like a Christmas Tree.

Again, I am not posting this because I hate my Grenadier, I love it. I just 100% hate the fact that this feature/lack thereof impacts the driving experience for me.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

The first video is configuring the Favorite Button and the second is Start Up / Deactivatio
As far as I know, this is a USA Only Issue and Specific to the ADAS System in the 2024 Model. Feel free to skip the Background editorial and go to the Solution!

Background

I was lucky enough to have an early delivery and picked my Grenadier up on Nov 27th. Scottish White (Love it!), Leather, 17” Alloys, BFG K02s, Rock Sliders, +++. What follows is not about the very long list of things I love about the Grenadier, it’s about one factory configuration Issue that makes me (almost) hate it.

This issue, and it is unfortunately ‘by design,’ is part of the newly released 2024 ADAS System includes Lane Departure, Traffic Sign Recognition, Intelligent Speed Assist, Over Speed Alert, and a few other things, are ON by default and must be turned OFF deep in the Display Menu ‘every time’ you restart the vehicle.

It’s hard to explain without experiencing it but the warning Beeps, Clicks and Chimes are beyond annoying. For example, the clicking for Intelligent Speed Assist starts when you hit the stated speed limit in most cases. The amount of beeping in this vehicle is beyond anything I've ever experienced other than an ICU room in a hospital.

As a Public Service Announcement (PSA), I would encourage you to drive it when you go to pick it up.

When I say down deep in the Menu, this is the actual process to turn OFF the Over Speed Alert (Note: My Car starts up in Carplay Mode):

CarPlay > Ineos > Settings > Vehicle Settings > Vehicle Functions > ADAS Systems > Intelligent Speed Assist > Over Speed Warning > Over Speed Warning OFF > CarPlay

That is 10 Menu Clicks. Every time you restart the car if you want to turn off Lane Departure, Intelligent Speed Assist, and Over Speed Alert.

For those thinking, ‘This is no big deal, you shouldn’t be driving over the speed limit anyway ….’ Hear me know, believe me later. It is MADDENING. I mainly drive in town, and don’t drive excessively over the speed limit under any circumstances. I’d say speed limit or speed limit +5 MPH, Max. Having alerts going off when you hit the stated speed limit and after, is just wrong in my opinion.

Here is a real-world scenario: You're driving in a 40 MPH Zone .... 39 MPH to 41 MPH. CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK Back down to 40 MPH .... hit 42MPH CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK. Back down to 40 MPH. Speed up to pass a car. CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK. Repeat this scenario on your daily commute. CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK, that's a sound you'll be hearing in your sleep!

I am hoping for a Software Update. However, it says in the Manual that these features can be changed (As described above), but again, not saved after turning off the vehicle. Page 136 in the manual.

Solution
This is the best workaround I have come up with for the ADAS issue related to the constant chiming and clicking when you hit the speed limit and go beyond it. It’s not great, but it’s the best I could figure out until we hopefully get a Software Update.

From the Display: Settings > General > CCI Favourite > Settings-ISA

When you start the vehicle, let the Display cycle up / load. Then hit the Favorite Button on the center console. It will bring up the Settings-ISA Screen. Turn Off Over Speed Warning.

Note 1: If you Unselect ‘Speed Limit Info’ you will have a persistent Orange Icon on the Telltale Display (That’s the name of the small screen in front of the Steering Wheel).
Note 2: You still need to do this every time you start the Vehicle but its way better than the 10 Step approach.

I tried a few other things, including Wade Mode which disables many of these systems, and the Deactivate all ADAS Systems. The issue with both of these options is that they light up the Telltale Display like a Christmas Tree.

Again, I am not posting this because I hate my Grenadier, I love it. I just 100% hate the fact that this feature/lack thereof impacts the driving experience for me.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

The first video is configuring the Favorite Button and the second is Start Up / Deactivation.
well i just took delivery of my Grenadier from RDS who were great to work with im terms of an exchange. This constant ticking on the speed limit may see this unit come back onto the market very quickly. Saying it’s irritating would be a major understatement, its unbearable. All the other quirks i expected and can deal with but this makes the vehicle totally unenjoyable. The demo i drove in 2023 did NOT have this clicking noise. On top of that i will get to enjoy my wife and all other passengers ask why i would buy something so annoying. INEOS please correct this. Just a disappointment something seemingly so small can make a driving experience so bad after waiting for almost a year for it to arrive.

Dallas_TX_Grenadier

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I have the Over Speed Warning saved as a Favorite. It’s literally two clicks and it’s off. I push FAV on the middle console, wait two seconds and then touch the screen. Done.
My problem with the Favorite Button and turning off the Over Speed warning is it takes five (5) long seconds to bring up the ADAS settings screen because of the software lags. At least the engine auto on/off button takes a split second to disable, the Favorite Button to turn off the Over Speed warning takes terribly too long to disable

T5Ineos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have the Over Speed Warning saved as a Favorite. It’s literally two clicks and it’s off. I push FAV on the middle console, wait two seconds and then touch the screen. Done.
Looks like the best option from everything i see. Def going to try it shortly…

Back
Top Bottom