The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

2 Additional Grenadier Models??

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
3:01 PM
Reaction score

Seems like a rehash of an older article but, if you have had enough reading the press reviews then let the rumor mill start up again.

• 'the launch in the U.S. will follow in July 2023'
is this still on the cards....
  • 'Another important novelty will be the pickup version of the Grenadier. It will feature four doors and four full-size seats, as well as a longer wheelbase than the off-road version.
  • 'INEOS tested a full electric Grenadier prototype, but the vehicle proved to be too heavy.' thats a shocker!!...
  • they also reference the baby Grenadier.
4 full sized seats in the pickup, that would be pretty cool, longer wheel base is unsurprising and has been talked about elsewhere.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
No way four seats? I was thinking today if I could order two Recaro seats and pull the 60/40 rear seats.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:01 PM
Reaction score
Ute won’t come Stateside, unless they build it here. Even if there was no chicken tax, we know the pickup market in the States is massive, complex, and can be entered at a price point IA couldn’t come within $20-25k of starting at.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
ute won’t come Stateside, unless they build it here. Even if there was no chicken tax, we know the pickup market in the States is massive, complex, and can be entered at a price point IA couldn’t come within $20-25k of starting at.
I have come to grips this would be a special order and in turn a up charge. I am very okay with it.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:01 AM
Reaction score

Seems like a rehash of an older article but, if you have had enough reading the press reviews then let the rumor mill start up again.

• 'the launch in the U.S. will follow in July 2023'
is this still on the cards....
  • 'Another important novelty will be the pickup version of the Grenadier. It will feature four doors and four full-size seats, as well as a longer wheelbase than the off-road version.
  • 'INEOS tested a full electric Grenadier prototype, but the vehicle proved to be too heavy.' thats a shocker!!...
  • they also reference the baby Grenadier.
4 full sized seats in the pickup, that would be pretty cool, longer wheel base is unsurprising and has been talked about elsewhere.
I don't think he has a clue what he is talking about
Hardly a novelty.
Same interior as the wagon not 4 seats but 5
It seems he feels the pick-up version is not for use off-road.

1676245742093.png

1676246276066.png

Last edited:

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Two models in ADDITION to the dual cab & electric model!!

I think this must mean a "Lifestyle" version of the 5 seat wagon.

250kgs lighter, a bit less off road capable but a few more electronic safety features, more options/choices regards interior/colours etc. for customers to chose.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Two models in ADDITION to the dual cab & electric model!!

I think this must mean a "Lifestyle" version of the 5 seat wagon.

250kgs lighter, a bit less off road capable but a few more electronic safety features, more options/choices regards interior/colours etc. for customers to chose.
I hope there is a smaller version in diesel.
Maybe the same but 70% of the size.
That would suit my wife nicely instead of a Suzuki Jimny

I bet there will be a Troopy equivalent

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Ute won’t come Stateside, unless they build it here. Even if there was no chicken tax, we know the pickup market in the States is massive, complex, and can be entered at a price point IA couldn’t come within $20-25k of starting at.
As much as I would love to own a Ute version (perfect duo with a wagon) I don’t think anyone has managed it. I’m full on Dumb & Dumber with this though, “you’re telling me there’s still a chance”.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have come to grips this would be a special order and in turn a up charge. I am very okay with it.
I can’t see that even being an option, since the PU would need homogulation, certification and whatever else comes with that stuff.

On a price standpoint, let’s say the wagon is $75,000 in the US and the truck too, but an additional 25% tacked on for LBJ - let’s say about $94K Plus on the road costs. I can’t imagine many folks in the US flocking to by a mid-size pickup in that price range.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I can’t see that even being an option, since the PU would need homogulation, certification and whatever else comes with that stuff.

On a price standpoint, let’s say the wagon is $75,000 in the US and the truck too, but an additional 25% tacked on for LBJ - let’s say about $94K Plus on the road costs. I can’t imagine many folks in the US flocking to by a mid-size pickup in that price range.
We already saw the possible test vehicle. Something to chew on, if everything is the same except the body, does it need different approval? Think of all the companies moving to a unified platform.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That’s a good point, they were testing here. But, the wagon as it stands now, has a shorter frame than the pickup, so is that a “different“ vehicle? I have no clue TBH.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We already saw the possible test vehicle. Something to chew on, if everything is the same except the body, does it need different approval? Think of all the companies moving to a unified platform.
This was the test rig for the long wheelbase version, which includes, but isn't limited to the pickup
Below it is a pre-production test pickup
Toby stated early on that the chassis was designed from scratch to be lengthened and shortened as needed.
1676248326094.png

1676249428625.png

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Justin Hocevars (Head of Asia Pacific for IA) was at the Victorian test drive last Friday.

OK - it wasn't super busy on Friday morning of the 3 day event but, he spoke with my son and I for 30 minutes about a range of topics, in a fairly candid and transparent manner.

How good is he, and how lucky IA, is the have him heading up Asia/Pacific!

Anyway - we got onto the topic of additional models and he confirmed:

1. The smaller electric version is coming; will be 2/3 the size of the Grenadier and much much lighter. He said that to try and make the current Grenadier EV would add 1,000kg of battery!

2. Their medium to long term focus is the hydro fuel cell for the Grenadier because battery tech is simply not advanced enough to provide range.
The hydro cell is closer than many think but the critical issue is availability of refuelling stations for owners. He confirmed they are testing the Grenadier with a 25kg fuel cell and that would give it a 1,000km range.

3. I raised the issue of a "lifestyle" Grenadier: lighter, a few less hardcore off road features and more options that would fit within the SUV product range, (e.g. electric seats).

Justin confirmed that there are many internal discussions on this. Why?
Many IA engineers formerly worked on the Mercedes G Wagen and they are very positive towards a "lifestyle" version of the Grenadier as a natural and logical extension of the Grenadier brand. The fact that the MB G Wagen is the most profitable model Mercedes make provides significant commercial momentum.

Also, feedback from IA in many Asian markets indicates a strong demand for said "lifestyle" version of the Grenadier. No time frame.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:01 PM
Reaction score
2. Their medium to long term focus is the hydro fuel cell for the Grenadier because battery tech is simply not advanced enough to provide range.
The hydro cell is closer than many think but the critical issue is availability of refuelling stations for owners.
The fuel cell engine is already well established in a number of Hyundai models, but unless Ineos does for hydrogen what Tesla did for electric charging then it's going nowhere soon in the small vehicle market.
He confirmed they are testing the Grenadier with a 25kg fuel cell and that would give it a 1,000km range.
I was shocked to see that the 6 tanks on the Iveco only stored 12kgs ~ so how are they packaging 25kg?
iveco-daily-mit-hyundai-brennstoffzelleiveco-daily-fuel-cell-iaa-2022-tanks1663854313992w-2be...jpeg
"The chassis of the prototype on display accommodates six hydrogen tanks with a total volume of 12 kilograms. This is almost twice the fuel capacity of the Hyundai Nexo , a fuel cell SUV. As there, the hydrogen in the Iveco Daily FCEV is stored at a pressure of 700 bar."
3. I raised the issue of a "lifestyle" Grenadier: lighter, a few less hardcore off road features and more options that would fit within the SUV product range, (e.g. electric seats).
The whole point of the Grenadier, and the very essence of the brand, was to take the S out of SUV...
Many IA engineers formerly worked on the Mercedes G Wagen and they are very positive towards a "lifestyle" version of the Grenadier as a natural and logical extension of the Grenadier brand. The fact that the MB G Wagen is the most profitable model Mercedes make provides significant commercial momentum.
It's the most profitable because it sells for a 6 figure sum but in limited numbers.

The Range Rover is the same for JLR.

Not sure that's the market Ineos we're aiming for.

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Going back to the original article, two new models ~ 3 row, extended seating (7+) station wagon based on the double cab chassis & a new halo model (think SVR, G 4x4²) priced well above the standard variants.

Local time
Reaction score
I wonder if all the conversational comparisons with the new Defenders and the G-wagon are missing what I think Ineos sees as a large market for them: the mining, oil, power line, pipeline, wind power, solar power, etc. etc industries. Worldwide they buy a very large number of vehicles that they need to operate in rough, muddy, sandy and forest environments to carry equipment and crews. As Ratcliffe, the founder of a huge chemical company, would know. A key to success in a manufacturing company is volume and I don't think the market for tough 4WD vehicles for well-off suburban and city drivers is large enough to support a profitable venture.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A key to success in a manufacturing company is volume and I don't think the market for tough 4WD vehicles for well-off suburban and city drivers is large enough to support a profitable venture.
There have been a few articles I've seen suggesting that Ineos have a good eye on this secondary market and a plan in place to address it once the initial sales to private owners is well underway.

The 2nd production line at Hambach will be freed up in 2026 when the Smart contract assembly work stops.

Inez

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not convinced that sales into that market is as strong as we would like to think. The price of a vehicle compared to the price of actual machinery/equipment is pretty small. The vehicles are more like "office supplies" compared to the rest of the costs. Just my opinion, 🤷‍♂️

Edit: My thought is that they don't really care about longevity, so any truck will do for most of the tasks as long as they pass safety regs.

Back
Top Bottom