The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

3rd party Videos YouTube video

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:55 PM
Reaction score
From the Expedition Portal video, you can see traction control modulate wheel movement on a lifted wheel ~ it's a very staccarto movement. Yet in earlier parts of the video the raised wheel spins freely

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
3:55 AM
Reaction score
From the Expedition Portal video, you can see traction control modulate wheel movement on a lifted wheel ~ it's a very staccarto movement. Yet in earlier parts of the video the raised wheel spins freely
Yes. You can also see both a freely spinning wheel and traction control modulation in the scene between 1:15 and 1:30

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you recall in an early drive video in a prototype they hit wading mode and do a small creek crossing and drive through some fields and easy tracks, then they lock the diff in low range.
The German/Austrian Ineos guy says now everything is off, just you and the car.
The passenger asks about traction control and is told that it is off.
In another video they say that when you select off road mode the traction control is changed and reduced for off road driving

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
👍

I think that's just the absence of these systems in the early prototypes, as evidenced by the numerous stickers they displayed:

Screenshot_20210824_065844_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We know from the pages we saw from the Pocket Guide that ESC is disabled when the front and/or rear lockers are engaged, but have you got more info on ETC being disengaged (particularly with the centre diff locked)?
Until the as built design and operating philosophy documents go live to us in CAD-IT (if they ever will) something can be gleamed of Ineos' intentions from this document:

Screenshot_20221226_080645.jpg

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
This felt like the first actual "review" of the Grenadier. Scott has enormous experience overlanding on every continent, and drives the vehicles many of us choose to drive: Landcruisers, previous gen Defenders, Jeeps, as well as touring motorbikes. I've met him once, and listened to a bunch of his podcasts; he seems like a real straight-shooter. He put the vehicle through some legitimate tests of articulation - which have been a bit overdue. I was beyond disappointed that the Grenadier was driven through Colorado, across Utah, and all the way to the California coast, and all we got was a minute-forty clip of the vehicle driving on dirt roads. Colorado and Utah offer hundreds of fantastic, challenging, technical trails - trails that a lot of us North Americans identify with, and terrain that we drive in. That was disappointing, and an opportunity lost for Ineos.

Scott provided the first taste of what many of us have been expecting from Ineos for a while. He tackled some technical obstacles, used the rear lockers when necessary, and tested the engagement of the front locker (even though it wasn't used for travel). The Grenadier performed really well. Jeepers might watch the video and see a lack of wheel travel in the front, but they should accept that limitation as a trade-off for a payload that is just a bit more than twice that of a Wrangler Rubicon. Someone who really wants to rock-crawl with the Grenadier (and rock-crawling is not the Grenadier's primary mission) can install an after-market disconnectable front anti-sway bar.

It really looks like the team at Ineos hit a home-run with the Grenadier. They set out to build an overland vehicle, and they have ticked most of the necessary boxes (far more than any other vehicle on the market).

There were two mistakes in the written-version of the review:

(1) He listed torque for the gas engine (B58) at 405 lb ft, when it is 332 lb ft. (405 is the torque generated by the diesel or B57 engine),

(2) He wrote: "the Grenadier’s ZF transmission can tolerate the torque of a V12!" - but this is only true of the ZF transmission that is paired with the diesel engine (B57). The gas engine (B58) is paired with the 8HP51 version of the ZF transmission, which has a torque rating of 369 lb/ft of torque. The diesel engine (B57), on the other hand, is paired with the 8HP76 version of the ZF transmission, which has a torque rating of 553 lb/ft of torque.

These mistakes are uncharacteristic for Scott and for Expedition Portal - which is an excellent publication. I'm looking forward to a more detailed review from Scott, and from other professionals who have real experience in overland travel and off-road driving!

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:55 PM
Reaction score
To be fair he didn't say which V12, but I definitely caught that as well

Local time
Reaction score
Follow-up to a previous post in which I mentioned a minute-forty clip of the Grenadier traveling from Colorado to California. My apologies, the clip is just 45 seconds.

The "max elevation" they drove to was 14,100 feet (Mount Evans) - but they don't mention that it was on a paved road, and we don't get a report about how it performed at that altitude. For example, how well did the Grenadier accelerate on its way up Mount Evans? Speaking of paved roads, how about some footage of the Grenadier driving up to the Eisenhower Tunnel, or Vail Pass (both over 10,000 feet). Those of us who live here drive those passes all the time, so if you are going to come to our state and advertise it, show us the money. Does it get up and go from 65 to 80 mph when you need to pass an eighteen-wheel truck, while driving at 9,000 feet, going uphill? Better yet, put a payload of 800 pounds in the Grenadier, and hook up a 5,000-pound trailer behind it (for another 500 pounds of payload via the hitch), and drive those passes. Let's see how it climbs the passes, and how it descends. Does that forced induction engine get hot at elevation under that kind of load, or is it up to the challenge? How often do you need to hit the brakes? Do they get hot, or do the run like champs? I have questions. You (Ineos) were here, but all we have is a 45-second clip of fluff. To quote your former monarch, "we are not amused".

After driving our highways, sample some of our off-road trails. Let's see the Grenadier dropping into Ouray down Black Bear Pass, or tackling Holy Cross City Road.

If Holy Cross is too technical for the Grenadier, we have hundreds of trails that are more moderate, but represent how many of us use our rigs.

Grumpy rant over.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Follow-up to a previous post in which I mentioned a minute-forty clip of the Grenadier traveling from Colorado to California. My apologies, the clip is just 45 seconds.

The "max elevation" they drove to was 14,100 feet (Mount Evans) - but they don't mention that it was on a paved road, and we don't get a report about how it performed at that altitude. For example, how well did the Grenadier accelerate on its way up Mount Evans? Speaking of paved roads, how about some footage of the Grenadier driving up to the Eisenhower Tunnel, or Vail Pass (both over 10,000 feet). Those of us who live here drive those passes all the time, so if you are going to come to our state and advertise it, show us the money. Does it get up and go from 65 to 80 mph when you need to pass an eighteen-wheel truck, while driving at 9,000 feet, going uphill? Better yet, put a payload of 800 pounds in the Grenadier, and hook up a 5,000-pound trailer behind it (for another 500 pounds of payload via the hitch), and drive those passes. Let's see how it climbs the passes, and how it descends. Does that forced induction engine get hot at elevation under that kind of load, or is it up to the challenge? How often do you need to hit the brakes? Do they get hot, or do the run like champs? I have questions. You (Ineos) were here, but all we have is a 45-second clip of fluff. To quote your former monarch, "we are not amused".

After driving our highways, sample some of our off-road trails. Let's see the Grenadier dropping into Ouray down Black Bear Pass, or tackling Holy Cross City Road.

If Holy Cross is too technical for the Grenadier, we have hundreds of trails that are more moderate, but represent how many of us use our rigs.

Grumpy rant over.
Hehe, well then there was the pavement video with the F1 driver. All I got from that was, to paraphrase, "the engineers designed it for off road but were pleasantly surprised how well it drives on road" (really ?) and "no one has driven a Grenadier that fast" (oh my !)

(sigh) slim on detail.

Like I expect many revervation holders l'm already sold on the off highway lifestyle and am already sold on the look. I'd like to see more "meat" in the videos.

Why so shy ?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Grumpy rant over.
I think you just gave the answer as to why Ineos is not launching early in the US.
The way you use 4WD’s id different to the rest of the world.
This vehicle is a modern replacement for the Defender and the G wagon.
Neither of which were suitable for the two uses you describe.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just found this one. It appears to be from yesterday at the Swiss event but I could be mistaken. It’s not in English but it’s a good video. Also, it looks like there was some nice Grenadier swag to be had.

Scan4

Production/Transit
Local time
7:55 PM
Reaction score
Just found this one. It appears to be from yesterday at the Swiss event but I could be mistaken. It’s not in English but it’s a good video. Also, it looks like there was some nice Grenadier swag to be had.
Hi Krabby, its swedish , Hedin Group is also covering Scandinvia

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:55 PM
Reaction score
Hi Krabby, its swedish , Hedin Group is also covering Scandinvia
What he's talking, yes. But the number plate outside the window is ZH, "Zürich", Switzerland.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder if the man who recorded it is among us. I tried to search our usernames but nothing matches the YouTube username.

Back
Top Bottom