The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winch

Local time
3:39 PM
Reaction score
Just looked at the Hard way home guy Ingmar's video on the winch seems you have to have the engine running .
This means if the engine won't work for some reason you can't winch yourself out of trouble all my winches have been independent of the engine.
What are the forums thoughts?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:39 AM
Reaction score
Just looked at the Hard way home guy Ingmar's video on the winch seems you have to have the engine running .
This means if the engine won't work for some reason you can't winch yourself out of trouble all my winches have been independent of the engine.
What are the forums thoughts?
I suspect it will work as long as ignition is on, but recommended to have engine on as a winch under load will drain batteries quite quickly without the engine running

Last edited:

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You’ll drain a battery pretty quickly using a winch. It needs a lot more power than a starter motor.

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You can use them without the engine running.
Exactly the same with the Grenny winch, the limitation being the extent of 12v power - therefore far better operated with the engine running, or if not then with additional auxilliary power available through the nato plug.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Exactly the same with the Grenny winch, the limitation being the extent of 12v power - therefore far better operated with the engine running, or if not then with additional auxilliary power available through the nato plug.
Standard practice to leave the engine running especially winching under load Unless you want a flat battery

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:39 PM
Reaction score
The issue is this, winch say, draws say 350 amps. Battery capacity...105amps. alternator puts out 200amps. While you don't need it running...its a good idea once you have got yourself out of the bog that you can get yourself home.

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The issue is this, winch say, draws say 350 amps. Battery capacity...105amps. alternator puts out 200amps. While you don't need it running...its a good idea once you have got yourself out of the bog that you can get yourself home.
That's why the dual battery setup has the Ctek smartpass unit to ensure there's always enough juice to start the engine.

Local time
10:39 AM
Reaction score
The battery would be 105Ah rated that does not mean the max it can output is 105A. A standard starter battery can put out 500-600A for very short periods. A & Ah are different things

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:39 PM
Reaction score
Question:
I’ve ordered the winch, but not the 2. battery.
can I only use the winch when the engine is running?

Local time
10:39 AM
Reaction score
That is highly recommended (or even required in the manual), otherwise you may not start the car after winching.
Not only that, but it's highly unlikely the winch will operate at maximum power without the engine spinning. I actually have a winching mode on my RAM (through my Tazer) that raises idle to over 2,000 rpm. Same goes for using an air compressor. I always have the engine running.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:39 PM
Reaction score
The battery would be 105Ah rated that does not mean the max it can output is 105A. A standard starter battery can put out 500-600A for very short periods. A & Ah are different things
I'm aware of that, it's more to do with capacity when winching for periods of time with the engine off.

Back
Top Bottom