The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winch

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:49 AM
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how Ineos have set up the second battery with the winch. Wondering if it draws from the primary start battery or both when winching. IG has a Ctek Smart Pass which works as a VSR for the Aux battery.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:49 AM
Reaction score
Just looked at the Hard way home guy Ingmar's video on the winch seems you have to have the engine running .
This means if the engine won't work for some reason you can't winch yourself out of trouble all my winches have been independent of the engine.
What are the forums thoughts?
If I had to guess then is the engine running to get the auto box in neutral/forward/reverse.

With engine off then the gearbox will default into park?

He mentions 18m of rope, elsewhere I've read both 14m and 13m.

Safety note: please don't hook your finger in the loop when spooling in, especially that close to the fairlead. 🤕

Local time
Reaction score
I think that the parking pawl may be damaged if winching with the transmission in P .

A second on " don't hook your finger in the loop when spooling in" use a handsomer hook I know it's a synthetic rope but .

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how Ineos have set up the second battery with the winch. Wondering if it draws from the primary start battery or both when winching. IG has a Ctek Smart Pass which works as a VSR for the Aux battery.
I've yet to learn the fine detail of the CTEK Smartpass but it seems mostly there to protect/serve much lower power rated "critical equipment from non-critical equipment ensuring that radio, emergency lights and navigation systems always have power".

Also the 350 amps it headlines is for 10 seconds. Not sure that's really suited for the duty cycle of the winch?

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've yet to learn the fine detail of the CTEK Smartpass but it seems mostly there to protect/serve much lower power rated "critical equipment from non-critical equipment ensuring that radio, emergency lights and navigation systems always have power".

Also the 350 amps it headlines is for 10 seconds. Not sure that's really suited for the duty cycle of the winch?
I read that also, I'm assuming it's just like a DCDC charger with inbuilt VSR, so winching from the main battery.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If I had to guess then is the engine running to get the auto box in neutral/forward/reverse.

With engine off then the gearbox will default into park?

He mentions 18m of rope, elsewhere I've read both 14m and 13m.

Safety note: please don't hook your finger in the loop when spooling in, especially that close to the fairlead. 🤕
Looks like my first "accessory" is going to be either 25m of winch rope or an extension strap. Mind you, I've never used all of the 25M of cable I have now :unsure:

Ingemar

Grenadier Owner
Hard Way Home Winner
Local time
5:49 AM
Reaction score
Hello Guys!
I created the video and did have a look at the "engine running" issue.
Officially the Winch works only with the engine running since the Gearbox has to be in N/D/R - otherwise the winch is not powered. The moment you switch of the engine, the transmission jumps to P.
There is a workaround: the so called "car wash mode". If you put the transmission to N and switch off the engine and immediately turn the ignition back on, the Gearbox will stay in N. Then you can power the winch and use it.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hello Guys!
Can you confirm the length of rope on the winch ~ you mention 18(?)m in the video but others have indicated much less?

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
he transmission jumps to P.
Hi Ingemar and welcome to the forum. My question will be one of many for you from this hallowed website so if you get the time to investigate and reply then thank you very much, if not then I'll understand.

My concern is the automatic switching from D/R/N into P - specifically when opening the driver's door.
Circumstances; Opening door
1) Stationary when in N/D/R - any jump into P?
2) Crawling in D/R - any jump into P?
3) Stationary or Crawling in D/R but with 'Off-Road' button engaged - any jump into P

all the best and tks for the YouTube films

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:49 PM
Reaction score
Hello Guys!
Officially the Winch works only with the engine running since the Gearbox has to be in N/D/R - otherwise the winch is not powered. The moment you switch of the engine, the transmission jumps to P.
There is a workaround: the so called "car wash mode". If you put the transmission to N and switch off the engine and immediately turn the ignition back on, the Gearbox will stay in N. Then you can power the winch and use it.
That’s a cool tip. Welcome Ingemar

Ingemar

Grenadier Owner
Hard Way Home Winner
Local time
Reaction score
Can you confirm the length of rope on the winch ~ you mention 18(?)m in the video but others have indicated much less?
I just checked. up to the red mark you got 10.5m! then there is one layer on the spool left...
So an extension or a longer rope will be required.

Ingemar

Grenadier Owner
Hard Way Home Winner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Ingemar and welcome to the forum. My question will be one of many for you from this hallowed website so if you get the time to investigate and reply then thank you very much, if not then I'll understand.

My concern is the automatic switching from D/R/N into P - specifically when opening the driver's door.
Circumstances; Opening door
3) Stationary or Crawling in D/R but with 'Off-Road' button engaged - any jump into P

all the best and tks for the YouTube films

I did several tests today. The car lets you drive with the door open as long as you wear your seat belt. When the door is open AND the seat belt off, then you can't get moving and the transmission jumps to "P".
If you are already moving, the door is open and you take the seatbelt off (or the other way around) then the car still keeps moving (no jump to "P" - even at 1km/h). Once you stop and lift you foot off the brake again, then the transmission jumps tp "P".

No! Opening the door has no effect.
When you take off your seatbelt AND the door is open AND take the foot off the brake, then the transmission goes to "P".

No! opening the door and removing the seatbelt has no effect.

3) Stationary or Crawling in D/R but with 'Off-Road' button engaged - any jump into P?
The off-road mode doesn't change the logic of the system. The only thing that changes in that circumstance: you don't get a warning when taking off the seatbelt.

Summary:
- You can start moving with the door open OR the seat belt off
- when stationary in D/N/R: door open AND seat belt off AND foot taken off the brake ---> transmission jumps to "P"
- no jump to "P" in any case when moving

Hope that explanation is clear enough.

Greetz, Ingemar

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I did several tests today. The car lets you drive with the door open as long as you wear your seat belt. When the door is open AND the seat belt off, then you can't get moving and the transmission jumps to "P".
If you are already moving, the door is open and you take the seatbelt off (or the other way around) then the car still keeps moving (no jump to "P" - even at 1km/h). Once you stop and lift you foot off the brake again, then the transmission jumps tp "P".

When you take off your seatbelt AND the door is open AND take the foot off the brake, then the transmission goes to "P".

3) Stationary or Crawling in D/R but with 'Off-Road' button engaged - any jump into P?
The off-road mode doesn't change the logic of the system. The only thing that changes in that circumstance: you don't get a warning when taking off the seatbelt.

Summary:
- when stationary in D/N/R: door open AND seat belt off AND foot taken off the brake ---> transmission jumps to "P"

Greetz, Ingemar

Excellent summary Ingemar. Tiptop!!

Thank you

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Summary:

Greetz, Ingemar
@Ingemar : Clearly a pilot, engineer, maintenance technician, or something like that ... :love:
With due respect for all the other non-technical professions! (y)

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Ingemar

Grenadier Owner
Hard Way Home Winner
Local time
Reaction score
Local time
9:49 PM
Reaction score
I’m trying to wrap my head around the fact that there is only 10.5m of rope with a single wrap on the drum remaining.

That is insanely short. Almost unusable without an extension.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:49 PM
Reaction score
I’m trying to wrap my head around the fact that there is only 10.5m of rope with a single wrap on the drum remaining.

That is insanely short. Almost unusable without an extension.
I have already bought a 20m extension and it and some soft shackles and a tree protector will be going in my lockable real wheel stowage compartment

Back
Top Bottom