The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winch

Local time
4:29 PM
Reaction score
Sorry didn't realise you guys were wanting to run competition winches on your rock-crawling, specially lightened, uprated transmission, strengthened chassis Grenadiers ....

I wonder how many 1000Kgs it needs to pull the winch/winch tray off it's mounting points on a Gren' ?
2mm Mild steel will shear/tear at around 500N/mm and an M10 bolt will shear/snap @ (approx) 2.4tonne.

Competition winches are (a) much faster than the winches fitted to on your Gren's (and my Defender) and (b) are specially mounted to spread the load decreasing it's 'oh shit the winch ripped out my chassis' factor by many times.
The Chassis of these trucks are also beefed up significantly so they don't get bent out of shape with the excessive forces applied during 'competition'.

Lastly, from the RED Winch (planetary gearbox/low line) safety instructions ....
The speed during operation must be kept steady and constant.
DO NOT generate sudden movements or shock loads.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I suspect the spares and repairs department at Red Winches are happy for you to follow the competition winch guys; the warranty department very much less so. 😉

Local time
5:29 PM
Reaction score
I don't know what one of them is?

Like a capstan, commonly used on boats..allows indefinite length of rope..

1682957393835.png

LR used to have that PTO´d on Series vehicles

1682957619422.png

and on Defenders..

1682959716564.png

Fairey, Aeroparts and a few others manufactured them.

1682957738771.png

No PTO on the Greni..:-( the thing would need an electric or hydraulic motor..

Last edited:

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7810093

LR used to have that PTO´d on Series vehicles

View attachment 7810094

and on Defenders..

View attachment 7810104

Fairly, Aeroparts and a few others manufactured them.

View attachment 7810095

No PTO on the Greni..:-( the thing would need an electric or hydraulic motor..
We used to use capstain winches like those fitted to Landrovers and tractors/unimogs when building power lines to haul equipment up to the cross arms of the pylons.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks.

My first experience with a winch was a PTO capstan on the front of a series III. 👍

I think there's more of a skill/experience factor in using one to it's full potential, which is why they lost favour; that and carrying the rope separate.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:29 PM
Reaction score
Thanks.

My first experience with a winch was a PTO capstan on the front of a series III. 👍

I think there's more of a skill/experience factor in using one to it's full potential, which is why they lost favour; that and carrying the rope separate.
true. But to store a rope isn’t an issue. Plus you can use every length you want/need/have

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:29 AM
Reaction score
That looks a lot further than 11M of rope on the winch...
I suspect it looks further because of the wide angle camera lens. If you enlarge the pic. and use the 2m height of the vehicle as a "yardstick" the distance between the shackle device in the foreground and the vehicle might be no more than 7 or 8 m

Back
Top Bottom