The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winch true cost £4495 (UK)

Unimog 406

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:46 AM
Reaction score

If your thinking of spending money on the winch your in for a shock its not going to cost £3345.
You have to pay for the High Load Auxiliary cabling and switch panel ------ an additional £1150 .
Total £4495

You will only find out this gem of information when you choose the option to buy

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:46 AM
Reaction score

If your thinking of spending money on the winch your in for a shock its not going to cost £3345.
You have to pay for the High Load Auxiliary cabling and switch panel ------ an additional £1150 .
Total £4495

You will only find out this gem of information when you choose the option to buy
Makes sense but remember you can always install your own winch of choice. You just have to do all the wiring yourself which isn't that big of deal

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:46 AM
Reaction score
Definitely there since day one. The high load panel includes other things as well, not just the winch pre wiring. Although it is an expensive option and you may save a couple hundred dollars doing it yourself I think it is kind of a no brainer to get it done from the factory.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:46 PM
Reaction score

Total £4495

The High load aux wiring is fantastic and makes great use of the overhead panel.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Clarity and the online configurator really don't belong in the same sentence.

I think there was initial confusion as to whether the option was required, was required but priced in the winch cost, or was required at additional cost.

There's still no full answer as suspension tweaks with the winch, or indeed whether all springs are progressive or just one axle set...

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Clarity and the online configurator really don't belong in the same sentence.

I think there was initial confusion as to whether the option was required, was required but priced in the winch cost, or was required at additional cost.

There's still no full answer as suspension tweaks with the winch, or indeed whether all springs are progressive or just one axle set...
The winch weighs 25kg, I know that will effectively be heavier because it is placed 600mm forward of the front axle but is a change in suspension really necessary???
There would be more of an impact if you put a fat bastard in the passenger seat compared to a child.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, but you've seen most/all the same posts I've seen, answers received from Customer Services, including from Justin Hocevar, regarding multiple suspension setups...

painter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Makes sense but remember you can always install your own winch of choice. You just have to do all the wiring yourself which isn't that big of deal
It's the hidden part that's the rub, both the carrier and a slim fit winch.

The fat lip bumper cries out for an integrated winch solution that's not going to be as easy aftermarket.

An infront of bumper winch and carrier or tow hitch receiver mount is going to be easier, a replacement winch bumper expensive.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It's a modular bumper:
Screenshot_20221007_114654.jpg

Imagine taking out the centre part:
FB_IMG_1668779384970.jpg

And having something like this installed:
FB_IMG_1667634828614.jpg

Or if you what to keep the fat lip styling, something like this:
Screenshot_20221119_035128.jpg

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

painter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
It's a modular bumper:
View attachment 7797117

View attachment 7797115
Sorry, I saw that parts diagram in another thread (the flip licence plate hand wringing one), and blew over it. Thought it was for winch models only (?) if not. yeah, that will help with aftermarket.

Gotta say IG REALLY tucked that integrated winch in. Very nice. Rest of the bumper could use a trim IMO but no biggie (pun intended).

So Warn or whomever needs to make a tray that fits a common winch bolt pattern and as you say, there's our alternative.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The winch weighs 25kg, I know that will effectively be heavier because it is placed 600mm forward of the front axle but is a change in suspension really necessary???
There would be more of an impact if you put a fat bastard in the passenger seat compared to a child.
Yes, it is necessary. I remember having to upgrade suspension when I installed a winch. The front end went to mush.

Remember, you have to allow for the fatty AND the winch.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:46 PM
Reaction score
Yes, it is necessary. I remember having to upgrade suspension when I installed a winch. The front end went to mush.

Remember, you have to allow for the fatty AND the winch.
And the winch is ahead of the axle ; a much bigger effect on handling/cornering than a chunky in the seat behind the axle.

Deepblue

#00274 - Swiss Vehicle (SD1-1/63)
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:46 AM
Reaction score
It's a modular bumper:
View attachment 7797117

View attachment 7797115

And having something like this installed:
View attachment 7797116

Or if you what to keep the fat lip styling, something like this:
View attachment 7797121
😅 makes me think of how the authorities would jump when I showed up with such a bumper / winch at the Inspektion… (every vehicle requires official inspection, „Motorfahrzeugkontrolle“ in Switzerland, TÜV in Germany, etc).
Officer probably has a heart attack.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
And the winch is ahead of the axle ; a much bigger effect on handling/cornering than a chunky in the seat behind the axle.
Yes, old chunky is being partially supported by the rear axle. At one stage I was thinking of working out the exact figure. - but my physics/engineering days are just too long ago i.e. the effect on the front axle is proportional to both the weight of the winch and the distance it is from the axle - the effect will be greater than the weight of the winch.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, old chunky is being partially supported by the rear axle. At one stage I was thinking of working out the exact figure. - but my physics/engineering days are just too long ago i.e. the effect on the front axle is proportional to both the weight of the winch and the distance it is from the axle - the effect will be greater than the weight of the winch.
Loving the ‘Old chunky’ reference. 😁

Back
Top Bottom