The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winch true cost £4495 (UK)

painter

Reservation Holder
Local time
6:39 AM
Reaction score
Yes, old chunky is being partially supported by the rear axle. At one stage I was thinking of working out the exact figure. - but my physics/engineering days are just too long ago i.e. the effect on the front axle is proportional to both the weight of the winch and the distance it is from the axle - the effect will be greater than the weight of the winch.
You are right, distance from an axle / wheelbase for the calculation.

If a 25kg winch is 600mm forward of the axle and the vehicle WB is 2,922mm (call it 3,000) then there is the weight of the object plus an additional 20% effective weight placed on the front axle = 25 + 5kg (30 total) and a corresponding 20% effecive weight reduction on the rear axle = -5kg.

If a 100kg babi is sitting 1,500mm rear of the front axle "he" will be half way between front and rear axles so 50% = 50kg total on the front axle.

If "he" put the seat forward (because he's a bit vertically challenged) there would be more weight on FA and less on the rear.

In other words, it appears our fellow Dave ( I'm also a "Dave") seems to be correct ... at least when the car is not moving ! So portable winches need not worry.

Off highway driving, with dynamic loading may be a different matter. I too had a vehicle that was fine on highway after a winch/carrier install but bottomed out off highway.at forward

That said, I think it might still be okay without a spring upgrade.

Last edited:

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:39 AM
Reaction score
I suppose one of the things that leads me to get the factory installed winch, is the fact that it’s covered by the Ineos warranty,
along with e fact that any suspension upgrades are dealt with at the manufacturing point and wiring alterations. Therefore also then included in the manufacturers warranty. if you fit your own winch and alter suspension and take out panels /head lining to wire the winch. Then this then may effect any warranty claim that may be necessary.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:39 AM
Reaction score
When most people are adding winches and such to their 4Runner or Tacoma or Jeep they are also adding another 125lbs of bumper. So in reality they are adding almost 200lbs to a 4500lb vehicle. Almost 4.5% change in the mass hanging off the front. For the Ineos the bumper is already there so you are only adding 55lbs to the front end of a 6000lb vehicle. Less than a 1% change in total mass. Will it effect it, maybe a little. Will you notice it, probably not much.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
if you fit your own winch and alter suspension and take out panels /head lining to wire the winch. Then this then may effect any warranty claim that may be necessary.
Only if you were daft enough to put a switch up there in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I've optioned the high load panel, so I'm including myself in the daft comment; but what purpose does this 500 amp switch actually serve - other than a few bragging rights and a bit in cab theatre?

It's especially redundant given the fact that there's also a high load 2 pin plug/socket in the wiring.

Run your cables from your battery, into a fuse, and straight out into the 2 pin socket/plug (simple Anderson connectors), another plug with the longer length of cable to run power to the winch. Leave the Anderson connectors disconnected (with dust covers/caps) until you actually need the winch and then make the connection.

It's the arrangement another OEM designed into a different vehicle I have running a Warn M8000. It's simple, safe, analogue and easy to use. Sort of chimes with what Ineos said the Grenadier should be about.

So the switch adds complexity and cost with little added benefit ~ or am I missing something?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:39 PM
Reaction score

Don't get me wrong, I've optioned the high load panel, so I'm including myself in the daft comment; but what purpose does this 500 amp switch actually serve - other than a few bragging rights and a bit in cab theatre?

It's especially redundant given the fact that there's also a high load 2 pin plug/socket in the wiring.

Run your cables from your battery, into a fuse, and straight out into the 2 pin socket/plug (simple Anderson connectors), another plug with the longer length of cable to run power to the winch. Leave the Anderson connectors disconnected (with dust covers/caps) until you actually need the winch and then make the connection.

It's the arrangement another OEM designed into a different vehicle I have running a Warn M8000. It's simple, safe, analogue and easy to use. Sort of chimes with what Ineos said the Grenadier should be about.

So the switch adds complexity and cost with little added benefit ~ or am I missing something?
I think Toby acknowledged in an early interview that the overhead switch panel was a bit of fun.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I get your drift. But a switch isn’t complex and does make it make easy. I’ve put a battery switch inline for my defender winch for convenience. And to be fair I like the theatre of the helicopter style overhead switching On the Grenadier.
having everything done in the factory and the warranty that comes with it is a novelty for me. Although I enjoyed doing and learning how to modify my defender inc dual batteries, solar, water tank , winch etc. I’m quite liking the idea of a factory made vehicle to my spec.

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:39 AM
Reaction score
I thought about the winch - it´s think it´s a good idea.
Then I remembered: I have been several times in the desert - without a winch (my three friends had some), without sand panels (my friends had them, but we pulled each other from the dune - more funny), and without navigation (you don´t need to navigate, when you allready have three navigators). I never have been over-equiped. What you need is a cool case, enough beer - and thursty friends. "I have a problem with my cool case - can you help?" That means: Open the beer!
Equipment may be funny - but driving with some cool guys is funny, too.
Back to the winch - buy it. It is better to have one, wenn you stand alone in the wood. Have fun!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think Toby acknowledged in an early interview that the overhead switch panel was a bit of fun.
It definitely is fun and makes sense for all for those things that need switching; I'm just wondering why there needs to be a 500 amp switch in a cable that already has an unplugable link?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It definitely is fun and makes sense for all for those things that need switching; I'm just wondering why there needs to be a 500 amp switch in a cable that already has an unplugable link?
The plug is probably not capable of "switching" a 500A load in DC as that would cause a very large arc.
The switch would break the current first via the relay, Assuming there is an interlock or just an instruction set

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Where is the disconnect-able plug? Is it at the front so winch can be removed for servicing or just in an awkward place for regular use..I must say I’ve used various amperage Anderson plugs on the defender and when there is a bit of dust around, they are not the easiest to connect and disconnect

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My understanding is. There shouldn’t be any load for a switch or plug unless you are trying to use the winch when trying to switch or plug / un-plug.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My understanding is. There shouldn’t be any load for a switch or plug unless you are trying to use the winch when trying to switch or plug / un-plug.
Yes that would be correct.
Normally any intelligent person would stop using the winch before unplugging it however maybe they are just being sure of it.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I get your drift. But a switch isn’t complex and does make it make easy.
But this is a 500 amp switch, maybe gas filled. OK under normal usage it will never be switching 500 amps because the winch won't be running and even if it is then it's rated at 300 amps; but there's going to be some in rush spike if it's used incorrectly.

Like I say, I've literally bought into it, so I'm looking forward to comparing and contrasting it with my agri-spec alternative.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The plug is probably not capable of "switching" a 500A load in DC as that would cause a very large arc.
The switch would break the current first via the relay, Assuming there is an interlock or just an instruction set
Yes switching is probably the wrong term ~ they're being used as isolators really.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Where is the disconnect-able plug? Is it at the front so winch can be removed for servicing or just in an awkward place for regular use..I must say I’ve used various amperage Anderson plugs on the defender and when there is a bit of dust around, they are not the easiest to connect and disconnect
Well we've seen the one at the rear but the front one is still a mystery to me. Closest indication I've seen to date:
8f82f4_e3f5aae49ac84d56a9345dcf0fcb1714_mv2.png

Yes, Andersons can be a bit of a bugger to pull apart depending on how they are fixed/orientated.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well we've seen the one at the rear but the front one is still a mystery to me. Closest indication I've seen to date:
View attachment 7797196

Yes, Andersons can be a bit of a bugger to pull apart depending on how they are fixed/orientated.
Pretty sure the one in the front will be the same as the one in the rear so the portable winch can plug into either

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Pretty sure the one in the front will be the same as the one in the rear so the portable winch can plug into either
I sure that's right, I was thinking more of its exact location.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Kill switch ?

Emergency, safety when free spooling or prevent unauthorized use especially the rear. Just thinking outloud.
Kill switch ~ that was the one positive I could see to it.

Free spooling ~ if you haven't disengaged the drive properly, it should be very apparent when you attempt to pull on the line.

Unauthorised use - yes, but I'd argue not as safe as having physically disconnected cables.

Local time
3:39 AM
Reaction score
I am getting the winch from the Factory because my 40kg Curly Coated Retriever lays against the rear door of the XC90 and he will do the same in the IG. It will be the counter to the winch. I am not sure if it will throw off the handling by 15kg, I will check with Ineos and see if they can adjust the suspension for his weight. This is just a concern for duck hunting, just general traveling my Flat Coated Retriever is 27kg. With both boys in the back (67kg), it will prolly be undriveable. I may have to switch to a Ford Bronco G6 😐.

Back
Top Bottom