The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winch or not ?

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:50 PM
Reaction score
In my day, the KERR kit was only ever for use on armoured vehicles, never on soft skinned vehicles.

Those were the days! Flying steel shackles have been the cause of fatalities and numerous injuries. Nowadays the use of soft shackles only is widely promoted and indeed is a requirement of an increasing number of pay-and-play centres and off-road clubs in the UK. It's good to see the Grenadier has recovery points suitably rounded for using soft shackles.

Local time
Reaction score
If money wasn't a factor, I'd spec the winch.

But Its a very expensive option, and and im 99% sure ill be fitting an ARB bumper (or similar) down the line, and will just drop in a winch when i do.

IMHO a winch is an essential item if your doing any solo travelling off-road. even if your not doing technical trails, there are so many potential situations that can crop up where you'll need one. Moving trees, self recovery, helping locals are all things I've done in the past, and you never know when its going to happen
Its not about the winch its about the wiring and battery control and the remote

Deepblue

#00274 - Swiss Vehicle (SD1-1/63)
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:50 PM
Reaction score
Thanks.

UK suppliers don't seen to bundle in this manner.

I like the edge separator, but it doesn't seem to be available separately?
Hi @DCPU is the following the edge separator you’re looking for?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @DCPU is the following the edge separator you’re looking for?

Yes ~ very nice.

It's expensive but maybe the quality is there. Luckily, they don't ship to GB so I don't have to agonise.

Anyone seen anything similar?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes ~ very nice.

It's expensive but maybe the quality is there. Luckily, they don't ship to GB so I don't have to agonise.

Anyone seen anything similar?
if you look for "Kantenreiter" in the shopping area of Google you might find some retailer from Dönges that ship it abroad. It seems to be out of stock at the moment anyway.

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:50 AM
Reaction score
This may of been mentioned before or not, but here goes.
If you select the integrated winch option, then you also MUST HAVE the additional electrical preparation (additional overhead switch panel) option as well.
This isn't a problem for Trialmaster purchasers, but for everyone else this means that if you want the Red Winch, then it really costs you $7235AUD :oops:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:50 PM
Reaction score
This may of been mentioned before or not, but here goes.
If you select the integrated winch option, then you also MUST HAVE the additional electrical preparation (additional overhead switch panel) option as well.
This isn't a problem for Trialmaster purchasers, but for everyone else this means that if you want the Red Winch, then it really costs you $7235AUD :oops:
You are not just paying for the winch. It is cabled in and ready to go and you also get the 4 power outlets on the roof for worklights etc. Plus power in the rear. I think you also get wiring to the front for driving lights. Plus installation and 5 year warranty. Plus possibly uprated springs in the front (whole nother can of worms)

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I agree with you Dave, and some of us may of already selected the overhead panel just to receive that functionality on its own.
However the fact is that if you want the Red winch, then it is going to cost you $7,235AUD

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I had ticked the overhead power panel before. Later I added the winch so no surprises.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I agree with you Dave, and some of us may of already selected the overhead panel just to receive that functionality on its own.
However the fact is that if you want the Red winch, then it is going to cost you $7,235AUD
The question may be whether Ineos will sell you the winch without the High Load Auxiliary Switch Panel.

If the winch is fitted, like it's been suggested with an Anderson style main power connector, then it's only going to need a corresponding power connector & cable run back to the battery to make it fully functional.

That's not going to cost anywhere like the cost of the optional kit.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:50 PM
Reaction score
The question may be whether Ineos will sell you the winch without the High Load Auxiliary Switch Panel.

If the winch is fitted, like it's been suggested with an Anderson style main power connector, then it's only going to need a corresponding power connector & cable run back to the battery to make it fully functional.

That's not going to cost anywhere like the cost of the optional kit.
Haven't checked but pretty sure the winch is a dealer fitted accessory which means you should be able to buy it from the dealer and fit it yourself. You obviously wont get the uprated springs or whatever other fittings you need to install it. I doubt the anderson plug will be there if you don't option the wiring kit

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Haven't checked but pretty sure the winch is a dealer fitted accessory which means you should be able to buy it from the dealer and fit it yourself. You obviously wont get the uprated springs or whatever other fittings you need to install it. I doubt the anderson plug will be there if you don't option the wiring kit
This is the INEOS CS reply:

Please note if you add the integrated winch you will get automatically the panel. There is no alternative for it unfortunately.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Hm. Did I pay for the winch AND for the panel ... ? 🤔

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

The winch is a factory-fit option.

Winch.png

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So hopefully they will address issues such as uprated springs or whatever other fittings you need to install it and maybe be generous enough to throw in an Anderson style plug.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You are not just paying for the winch. It is cabled in and ready to go and you also get the 4 power outlets on the roof for worklights etc. Plus power in the rear. I think you also get wiring to the front for driving lights. Plus installation and 5 year warranty. Plus possibly uprated springs in the front (whole nother can of worms)
When you look at what you get with the High Load Auxiliary Switch Panel in terms of the online configurator then it clearly states it "includes four external electrical sockets in the tie-down rail recesses".

But look at the High Load interior panel and there's 3 switches rated at 25 amps and 1 rated at 500 amps. Assuming the winch is taking the 500 amp switch (in effect it could also be a flying lead for jump starting) is that going to be wired through to one of the four sockets in the tie-down rail recesses?

There's also the standard switch panel in the roof that includes a switch labelled "Ext 1" but no reference to where the corresponding external electrical socket is?

Could it be that everyone is getting one of the four sockets in the tie-down rail recesses as standard?

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Those were the days! Flying steel shackles have been the cause of fatalities and numerous injuries. Nowadays the use of soft shackles only is widely promoted and indeed is a requirement of an increasing number of pay-and-play centres and off-road clubs in the UK. It's good to see the Grenadier has recovery points suitably rounded for using soft shackles.
Yeah, on July 26, 2022, a man named Ryan Woods was killed in Arizona by a flying shackle. He was in the driver's seat of his Ford Super Duty, and the vehicle was stuck in mud. His buddy tried to yank him out using a tow-hitch not specced for this purpose, and I also think they were using chains and other static line. I don't remember all the details, but it was horrible. His wife was seated next to him, and his son was in the back seat. Part of the broken steel hitch came hurtling through the windshield, bent the steering wheel, and then hit him in the face, killing him instantly. Its a terrible story, and the mistakes made will haunt the poor man's family, and his best friend - probably for the rest of their lives. His family is encouraging people to learn about the event in order to avoid making the same mistakes. Here is a video in which a guy who is very active in 4x4 recovery here in Colorado, breaks down the mistakes made:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Though the video might be just analytic, I have to say that I have no drive to watch it.

Poor wife and son and friend as well. So terrible.

Caladan

Reservation Holder
Local time
9:50 AM
Reaction score
According to official reports, his wife of 23 years and all three of their children were in the truck when the accident happened and took his life. Some very tragic cautionary lessons to absorb. Details and photos of the equipment attempted for use (a drop hitch ball, static strap) in this kinetic recovery was reported at the Exploring Overland site (https://www.exploringoverland.com/o.../another-hitch-ball-recovery-another-fatality)

Back
Top Bottom