The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winch or not ?

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:46 AM
Reaction score
An X-lock is ideal for synthetic rope, lightweight, easy to use and very effective.

X-lock

X-lock uses
@Arkaig, how are you going with the X-Lock? It appears to be a good device for shortening the winch extension rope. Anyones thoughts on how else they intend to do it with the Gren would also be appreciated.
The Grens Red Winch cable length does seem to mean that you are going to be using a winch extension rope quite a bit.

Cheers

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Arkaig, how are you going with the X-Lock? It appears to be a good device for shortening the winch extension rope. Anyones thoughts on how else they intend to do it with the Gren would also be appreciated.
The Grens Red Winch cable length does seem to mean that you are going to be using a winch extension rope quite a bit.

Cheers
I am very keen to get an x-lock but there is no Australian supplier I can find and no one seems to do international shipping

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:46 PM
Reaction score
We need a freight forwarding facility set up with forum owners in various countries.

Would it even get around some import taxes if things are sent non-commercially? Your "uncle" sends you an x lock as a present?

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am very keen to get an x-lock but there is no Australian supplier I can find and no one seems to do international shipping
@AnD3rew If you contact Anne Pence (email: annepence@gmail.com or telephone +1 440.654.8324) at Safe Xtract.com, she will happily quote for international shipping, with payment facility by either credit card or Paypal. Their website is not set up for detailing international shipping at this time.

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Davman The X-lock used with a winch line extension rope together with recovery rings addresses as far as I’m concerned, the only limitation of the excellent Red Winch namely its useable capacity of some 10.5 meters. I like the spanish burton rig and the X-lock makes it easy and safe to use, as well as minimising the load on the main winch line and providing overall mechanical advantage to the recovery.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@AnD3rew If you contact Anne Pence (email: annepence@gmail.com or telephone +1 440.654.8324) at Safe Xtract.com, she will happily quote for international shipping, with payment facility by either credit card or Paypal. Their website is not set up for detailing international shipping at this time.
That’s great thanks will do.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I noticed that they seem to do shipping to OZ for a flat fee of $55USD. However if you dont mind, see whether they do group discounts on purchase and postage.
I couldn’t see anything about Australian shipping, but yes if they get back to me I will ask.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:46 PM
Reaction score
I’ll come back to the original post - to winch or not? I’m already getting the high aux package so it’s a $4,100 bump. Is it worth it?

As I write this I’m talking myself into it. Those with it, any regrets? Those without, any regrets?

My order was submitted a few weeks back but I should be able to change it before Friday.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:46 PM
Reaction score
I’ll come back to the original post - to winch or not? I’m already getting the high aux package so it’s a $4,100 bump. Is it worth it?

As I write this I’m talking myself into it. Those with it, any regrets? Those without, any regrets?

My order was submitted a few weeks back but I should be able to change it before Friday.
I was in your camp until I saw le tech front bumper. I decide to hold off on the winch and do the aux package. The bumper is moduler which makes adding a winch at a later date, easy. The hardest part, in my opinion, would be wiring but that has already been done for you.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I thought it was worth it as I ordered it, but I think this is in the end up to you and your requirements.
Upsides:
- neat and hidden and factory installed and warranted.
- Quality brand
- uprated front suspension (we believe)
- means you don’t have to purchase an aftermarket front bar just to install an aftermarket winch.

Downsides
- fairly expensive if you discount the installation, springs etc.
- short rope capacity compared to aftermarket
- fairly difficult to get to for maintenance and to see drum for even rope wrapping etc.

Up to you an what’s important to you. I would say if you want it for ocassional use for an insurance policy, then worth it. If you are a regular hard core offroader and will use it a lot, then better iff to go aftermarket. If you will only ever drive on road and maybe some graded gravel roads then not worth it.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was in your camp until I saw le tech front bumper. I decide to hold off on the winch and do the aux package. The bumper is moduler which makes adding a winch at a later date, easy. The hardest part, in my opinion, would be wiring but that has already been done for you.
The leTech one is designed for the Euro bumper, not clear yet if it would work for the ROW steel bumper which is shorter

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:46 PM
Reaction score
The leTech one is designed for the Euro bumper, not clear yet if it would work for the ROW steel bumper which is shorter
True but they might make a version for ROW. Plus most bumpers in NA with winch sticks out from rest of bumper. Could get 4x4 shop to make one.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I’m in exactly the same boat. I did not option the factory winch, only because I’ve not had one on my other vehicles. I strongly considered the Red winch, still think about it, but in reality and considering all my past technical driving, a winch falls in “want” not need.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:46 PM
Reaction score
Is it worth it?
That is the painful question that only you can answer for yourself: Is it worth it for you?

I went back and forth a few times and finally ordered it. I haven't used it yet and may not for quite a while. But as a backup, I find it reassuring. However, I'm going to attend a recovery workshop first and ask someone who knows what he's doing (not just in this regard) what additional equipment I should buy. We have him here on the forum: @AWo.

So if the money means no sacrifice elsewhere for you, and you ask me: yes, I think for me it's I am worth it. ;-)

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Decided against it, not for money, but hoping for an aftermarket setup. I have the aux power setup so hopefully when the time comes, it won’t be a difficult install.

grenadierguy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:46 PM
Reaction score
Decided against it, not for money, but hoping for an aftermarket setup. I have the aux power setup so hopefully when the time comes, it won’t be a difficult install.
I didn't option it either. Got the prewired power, but not the auxiliary battery. Wonder if I will regret not optioning ant of these. Winch, auxiliary battery, premium music. 🥹

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have the aux power setup so hopefully when the time comes, it won’t be a difficult install.
From what I've been told, the aux power gets you everything up to and including the front Albright relay/solenoid; so it *should* just be a case of wiring from there to the winch. 👍

Your choice if you change front coil springs.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
From what I've been told, the aux power gets you everything up to and including the front Albright relay/solenoid; so it *should* just be a case of wiring from there to the winch. 👍

Your choice if you change front coil springs.
Probably will but will seek input from those who have gone before. Which, TBH, is yet another perk of being here - shared experiences and collective wisdom. Collective tomfoolery too, which is nice.

Back
Top Bottom