The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winch or not ?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:47 AM
Reaction score
The detachable rear winch looks a good option for less serious off roaders provided you have a towbar fitted and electrics. Either buy with the vehicle or add later. I have been assured that it will fit on the towbar attachment if the tow ball is on the lowest setting. From the photos I doubt it. Amazon.co.uk offer slot in tow balls that seem to be legal in UK and should be if offered for sale here but no guarantee from me.
You know Google Dave? I didn't know the word either, but "googled" it, Thats exactly the sort of bush I got out at my son's place! :LOL:

The detachable rear winch looks a good option for less serious off roaders provided you have a towbar fitted and electrics. Either buy with the vehicle or add later. I have been assured that it will fit on the towbar attachment if the tow ball is on the lowest setting. From the photos I doubt it. Amazon.co.uk offer slot in tow balls that seem to be legal in UK and should be if offered for sale here but no guarantee from me.
I use this style on my 4wds usually kept inside and only inserted when needed.
Saves the shins
I will also be able to use it on front

1674686389017.png

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:47 PM
Reaction score
The detachable rear winch looks a good option for less serious off roaders provided you have a towbar fitted and electrics. Either buy with the vehicle or add later.
If you've no requirement to tow (and I share your comment with regard to the portable winche's compatability with a tow ball) then I'd hope just buying the lump of metal which I've seen described as the "Vertical Towing Interface" would be much cheaper than purchasing the towing kit at some £600ish.

I have been assured that it will fit on the towbar attachment if the tow ball is on the lowest setting.
That really needs to be demonstrated to be believed.

Amazon.co.uk offer slot in tow balls that seem to be legal in UK and should be if offered for sale here but no guarantee from me.
Full type approval for cars, or just legal for commercials with their own "lower" standard?

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I am currently struggling whether to add a winch or not.

I do not really 'need' a winch. But it gives me a bit more confidence to master difficult sections. If I will once travel through Sardinia, the Pyrenees or the like, it would feel like kind of a backup.

On the other hand, I will likely drive the Grenadier on the road for at least 90%.

Ineos offers a 5.5 tonnes winch, the price is 3671,- € - which is a lot.

I ask my self, whether I could fit a winch of that categorie for that price later, including installation, wiring etc. (already have the power panel).

What do you think? What are the prices for something equally good and powerful?
What is your use case for the vehicle? That will give you the answer.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:47 PM
Reaction score
Traveling, overlanding, daily use.

But this has already been discussed forth and back in this thread. You'll find all the arguments here.

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
after a long thought i added the winch to the configuration today, i will probably never need it but if it's a good feeling to have it with me.

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Traveling, overlanding, daily use.

But this has already been discussed forth and back in this thread. You'll find all the arguments here.
remember, just the winch is not enough. if you really need them, then you also need ropes, shackles, maybe a pulley, and depending on the location, a ground anchor.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, I know. :)

Local time
5:47 PM
Reaction score
I’m actually anxiously awaiting the US pricing and any spec changes they may be forced to make for our market. The winch offered hasn’t been readily available here, and I’m actually interested as they generally get great praise from those few that do run them.

Local time
10:47 PM
Reaction score
Oh yeah, just throw a tirfor in the back with 20m of steal cable, what a pain in the butt. I have done that so I know. Still the knowledge of having it there, enabled me to attempt that tough spot when alone. These days I have a winch.
I had a Tirfor almost 40 years ago - but here in the U.S. we call it a "come along" (I'm not kidding). According to the All-Father, er... google, it was invented in 1919, right here in Colorado. But perhaps that entry was written by a Coloradan. Anyway, the date excuses the terrible name, as people in 1919 just said silly things.

I also prefer an electric winch mounted in the bumper, despite the glowing reviews that the original come along received from this 1935 article in Popular Science:

Popular_Science_May_1935_photo.png

Popular_Science_May_1935.png

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure if this was posted before but for all the recovery add ons it's a good reference and food for thought. Then all you need are his how to winch in 101 ways 🙂 and you are set for any little or large adventure!
View: https://youtu.be/P-BswpqqECE
His videos are excellent, he isn’t the most charismatic presenter but his content is fantastic and very practical and down to earth. Watched his video on what kind of hook (or not) to put on the end of your winch rope. I am leaning towards none and just using soft shackles for everything. The next question is though whether to leave it hanging out and exposed to the elements attached with a shackle to the recovery point, which looks cool but probably not great for the long term condition if your rope. If you don’t want to do that then you also have to make sure you don’t accidentally pull the loop through the fairlead when you are putting it away, that could be particularly painful with the OEM winch as there doesn’t look to be an easy way to get a hand in there to get it out. You could invest in some kind of stopper/protector, Red Winches make one. That’s kind of nice but the shipping to Australia is double the cost of the product and there isn’t a local supplier. Hard to justify. Robert suggests just an offcut of wood or dowel, which is effective and practical but feels wrong on a brand new truck with a very expensive winch 🤣

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You could invest in some kind of stopper/protector, Red Winches make one. That’s kind of nice but the shipping to Australia is double the cost of the product and there isn’t a local supplier. Hard to justify.

Group buy to Oz?

Back
Top Bottom