The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winch or not ?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:08 AM
Reaction score
We also have
As silly as a wheel on a walking stick
As much use as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest
Couldn’t organise a f#%* in a brothel

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
12:08 AM
Reaction score

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:08 AM
Reaction score
😂 :ROFLMAO: (y)

A new German idiom is born: "Er ist nicht das schärfste Messer im Köcher!" :LOL:

I've at least never heard it before.
Now that we need a retrieval process to get this thread back on track...

How about "Er ist nicht der schärfste Pfeil im Köcher" "he's not the sharpest arrow in the quiver".... (I need to improve my Science German/French to keep up with my multi-talented-multilingual fellow IG enthusiasts! 🙏)
In the meantime...
"a sandwich looking for a picnic
"an idiot looking for a village"
None of these persons should be put in charge of the winching recovery process.
There.
back on track!👍

tnkatoy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:08 PM
Reaction score
I didn't include the winch in my original spec, but one of the test cars on the drive day had a winch concealed behind the hinged number plate, it isn't too obtrusive and now is included in my spec,. It is pricey, and after market suppliers may well bring out cheaper options, but with the upgraded front beam and suspension, I'd prefer to have this installed by the factory as designed.

It really comes down to what you are going to be doing in your Grenadier, and it's one of those things you don't use much ... but if you are alone out bush, the first time it gets you back to camp before dark, so you can have a shower, feed and a good night sleep ... it's insurance that's worth every cent.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The trouble with tirfor and other hand winches is it’s difficult to winch and drive at the same time. With two people it’s possible, but really the winch needs to be fixed to the anchor point so that the person on the handle is well clear if the vehicle gains traction.
I’ve used tirfors a lot in power line construction ,they come into their own for construction purposes. Bloody hard work for extricating stuck vehicles. It’s all we had for our trans africa overland tour in 95’ Give me an electric winch any day 😂

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For those buying a vehicle with the full electrical preparation and contemplating the removable winch. Just had a look around and you can buy a tow hitch reciever winch cradle for under $100 from Amazon and a 5.4 tonne winch from Supercheap auto for under $400. That makes total setup under $500 then you just have to make up a NATO plug for it. It’s not a Red Winch quality but you will probably rarely carry it and even more rarely use it. I am happy to pay the full freight for the nice integrated RedWinch on the front with full 5 year warranty etc. but if I was tempted to add a removable rear one I don’t think I could justify the OEM one.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:08 AM
Reaction score
They are the "enthusiast's winch" , as is the high lift jack used for winching...
I have a tirefor I inherited from my father (before he died by the way, it was a gift, he didn't use it anymore, if he ever used it!). I used it only once, I think a year ago, to pull a bush out of the ground, using my car as the "fixed point" in Hungary in the garden of my son. I always carried it with me when I travelled. It worked :cool:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:08 AM
Reaction score
I have a tirefor I inherited from my father (before he died by the way, it was a gift, he didn't use it anymore, if he ever used it!). I used it only once, I think a year ago, to pull a bush out of the ground, using my car as the "fixed point" in Hungary in the garden of my son. I always carried it with me when I travelled. It worked :cool:
Just in case you needed to pull out a bush on your travels????
Does that happen a lot?

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Just in case you needed to pull out a bush on your travels????
Does that happen a lot?
Sometimes, in one's travels, one is sent on a quest for a shrubbery. Or at least that is what I learned from watching a documentary on the Holy Grail. If such a situation arises, it is best to be prepared 😁

Dave - hope that helps :D

Local time
7:08 PM
Reaction score
The detachable rear winch looks a good option for less serious off roaders provided you have a towbar fitted and electrics. Either buy with the vehicle or add later. I have been assured that it will fit on the towbar attachment if the tow ball is on the lowest setting. From the photos I doubt it. Amazon.co.uk offer slot in tow balls that seem to be legal in UK and should be if offered for sale here but no guarantee from me.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The detachable rear winch looks a good option for less serious off roaders provided you have a towbar fitted and electrics. Either buy with the vehicle or add later. I have been assured that it will fit on the towbar attachment if the tow ball is on the lowest setting. From the photos I doubt it. Amazon.co.uk offer slot in tow balls that seem to be legal in UK and should be if offered for sale here but no guarantee from me.
It has been discussed before , but the winch will be heavy and awkward to store. The loadspace in the back is high and you have to reach across the bumper/sill a fair way. Let alone in a recovery where you have to open both doors to get the device out and fitted , perhaps on a side angle or in mud.
But I guess it might work for some.

Back
Top Bottom