The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winch or not ?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:58 PM
Reaction score
...or buy Australian. Soft shackles only. Might be best to pair with a thimble if the winch line is delivered with a soft loop.
Yeah, Robert covers that kind of thing in his video. Not convinced that kind of thing offers any real benefit over just the soft loop which it is delivered with I believe. A thimble is an option, will be interesting to see how much space there is between the fairlead and the license plate on the Australian version as that may dictate what can be fitted under there.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah, Robert covers that kind of thing in his video. Not convinced that kind of thing offers any real benefit over just the soft loop which it is delivered with I believe. A thimble is an option, will be interesting to see how much space there is between the fairlead and the license plate on the Australian version as that may dictate what can be fitted under there.
I’d pair it with a load spool, this will ensure the winch loop is bent around the correct diameter; and in concert with the winch shackle means 1) the shackle is also bent around an appropriate diameter; and 2) abrasion between the winch loop and the soft shackle is eliminated.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’d pair it with a load spool, this will ensure the winch loop is bent around the correct diameter; and in concert with the winch shackle means 1) the shackle is also bent around an appropriate diameter; and 2) abrasion between the winch loop and the soft shackle is eliminated.
Wow, $45 for a plastic thimble, but yes that works

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Aluminium, but yes it’s expensive. “Synthetic” refers to the winch line.
I didn’t actually read, I just looked at the picture and it looked plastic

bimmerteck

Reservation Holder
Local time
7:58 AM
Reaction score
I’m gonna have to pull apart my Factor55 thimble but I believe it has a similar diameter to that load spool inside. If not seems easy enough to add.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m gonna have to pull apart my Factor55 thimble but I believe it has a similar diameter to that load spool inside. If not seems easy enough to add.
No need - that one that I attached is produced by Factor55 for use on their winch shackles.
It just so happens that Saber shackle pins have the same diameter and their shackle a similar ‘jaw’, so it also fits theirs.

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You could invest in some kind of stopper/protector, Red Winches make one. That’s kind of nice but the shipping to Australia is double the cost of the product and there isn’t a local supplier. Hard to justify. Robert suggests just an offcut of wood or dowel, which is effective and practical but feels wrong on a brand new truck with a very expensive winch 🤣
Yankum fairlead

GrooveFairlead.jpgGrooveFairlead2.jpg

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yankum fairlead

View attachment 7802292View attachment 7802294
I do like that idea. I wonder if they are all a standard size. The Grenadier one looks like it is definitely swappable.F6FA5072-FC01-4422-B135-18FD47838ECA.jpeg

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I do like that idea. I wonder if they are all a standard size. The Grenadier one looks like it is definitely swappable.View attachment 7802296

SPECIFICATIONS:​

• Standard 10" Bolt Mount Spacing
  • Overall Dimensions:
    • Standard & Comp Groove Fairleads: 13" x 3.32" x 1.38"
    • Off-Set Groove Fairlead :13" x 3.56" x 1.38"
The Groove lead comes in three designs, The STANDARD and OFF-SET are for use with any standard width winch drum. The short drum COMP is made for narrow winch drums typically used with competition rigs.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:58 AM
Reaction score
Pretty smart, the ability to figure of eight it is quite useful

Back
Top Bottom