The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winch or not ?

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:28 PM
Reaction score
I didn't option it either. Got the prewired power, but not the auxiliary battery. Wonder if I will regret not optioning ant of these. Winch, auxiliary battery, premium music. 🥹
I went with the high load electrical, aux battery, and even the power take off points. I wanted usable options right out of the gate, even if I decide to modify them later. In lieu of the winch, I'll be upgrading my Jack-All with synthetic line extensions and one or two X-Locks.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:28 AM
Reaction score
I ordered a Trial Master with everything except the winch - opted for the front hitch so I could add a removable one later if I want or wait for the aftermarket to make an internal one for the front.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
opted for the front hitch so I could add a removable one later if I want or wait for the aftermarket to make an internal one for the front.
By all accounts the front hitch is not suitable for use with the removeable winch, or very probably any hitch mounted winch if it's for self recovery purposes.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
By all accounts the front hitch is not suitable for use with the removeable winch, or very probably any hitch mounted winch if it's for self recovery purposes.
Ineos notes that the front hitch plate is fully usable for the removable winch

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
4:28 PM
Reaction score
Ineos notes that the front hitch plate is fully usable for the removable winch

I just checked the US configurator...

1688581684248.png

Towing Mounting Plate - Front​

$945.00

Equip your Grenadier for front towing. Fits directly within the modular front bumper and is compatible with the Removable Winch with Towing Mounting Kit

I know we've been quoted otherwise as per above.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The American site still says compatible with the front removable winch.

Attachments

• 6A4FDA44-DC39-4C50-9726-9268D673B7D3.png
    6A4FDA44-DC39-4C50-9726-9268D673B7D3.png
    248.5 KB · Views: 9

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I was definitely late to the party on that reply.

Greg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:28 AM
Reaction score
I was told re the front towing plate...
"Ineos Automotive strongly recommends against using for a removable winch. It is designed for light tow manoeuvring only"

I ended up ordering the winch as unlike USA where it appears that you can do anything you want to your trucks, here in Aus there are a lot more restrictions so after market option may be a long time coming.

For me, if i can't use a removable winch, having a factory fitted and warranted winch makes life easier for insurance and random road side vehicle checks.

The winch will be peace of mind for solo touring and hopefully rarely used. I am sure the limitations of the cable length can be over come with a bit of patience and learning some advanced rigging skills.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was told re the front towing plate...
"Ineos Automotive strongly recommends against using for a removable winch. It is designed for light tow manoeuvring only"

I ended up ordering the winch as unlike USA where it appears that you can do anything you want to your trucks, here in Aus there are a lot more restrictions so after market option may be a long time coming.

For me, if i can't use a removable winch, having a factory fitted and warranted winch makes life easier for insurance and random road side vehicle checks.

The winch will be peace of mind for solo touring and hopefully rarely used. I am sure the limitations of the cable length can be over come with a bit of patience and learning some advanced rigging skills.
Can't tell ya what Ineos will tell us/certify for specific countries - and sadly it almost sounds like the answers vary depending on who you connect with.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Compatible means it fits. Not that it can pull a 3T vehicle uphill or out of mud.
I'd get direct answers from Ineos on this, even though it has been discussed/mentioned on this forum several times.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There is no *front* removable winch, indeed there is no removable winch; it's a *rear* removable winch.

It comes with a NATO plug. If someone tells you it can be fitted to the front hitch receiver, ask them where the power socket is?

Further, reading the current version of the winch manual:
Screenshot_20230706_063609.jpg

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
There is no *front* removable winch, indeed there is no removable winch; it's a *rear* removable winch.

It comes with a NATO plug. If someone tells you it can be fitted to the front hitch receiver, ask them where the power socket is?

View attachment 7819178
When I ordered the front hitch I was expressly told by Ineos in person that the removable winch could not be used on the front.
They said the front hitch was designed for low speed towing only (logical) and not for winching or on road use

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7819178
Understand what you are seeing - perhaps it is a different spec for the US or we allow removable winches over here. Not sure at this point - but interesting we see two different rules out there.

Ineos1NZ

Contract Signed
Local time
11:28 AM
Reaction score
I am currently struggling whether to add a winch or not.

I do not really 'need' a winch. But it gives me a bit more confidence to master difficult sections. If I will once travel through Sardinia, the Pyrenees or the like, it would feel like kind of a backup.

On the other hand, I will likely drive the Grenadier on the road for at least 90%.

Ineos offers a 5.5 tonnes winch, the price is 3671,- € - which is a lot.

I ask my self, whether I could fit a winch of that categorie for that price later, including installation, wiring etc. (already have the power panel).

What do you think? What are the prices for something equally good and powerful?
emax

I have a Red Winch supplied and installed by Ineos and even if you are only doing 10% off road you need to evaluate the off roading that you may do. Is it remote? Muddy? Dangerous? Solo? what other recovery gear do you carry? Winches need trees or ground anchors etc.

I would suggest a good recovery kit for a casual off roader may consist of: Shovel, high lift jack and a pair of sand ladders.?

The red winch is good quality and very discreetly installed but only has a 15m rope which would mean carrying several other extensions and accessories

Pros and cons to everything in life

INEOS1NZ

AWo

Local time
1:28 AM
Reaction score
Does Ineos mount an emergency off switch in the positive power line to the winch?

AWo

Back
Top Bottom