The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Who opted for fabric seats?

Local time
4:17 AM
Reaction score
I remember the first time I saw that logo back as a kid in the 80s. Smart marketing there.
Yeah, when I was a kid growing up on the coast, we all used SexWax on our boards - they absolutely had a monopoly. It makes no sense at all, but was brilliant marketing.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:17 PM
Reaction score
1922 Ford Model T Pickup Truck:
View attachment 7798199

But apparently, Gottlieb Daimler developed a pickup truck in 1896: https://mercedesblog.com/gottlieb-daimler-built-the-worlds-first-truck-in-1896-how-did-it-look/

Maybe that Wikipedia entry on Australian inventions was written by an Australian ;) All in good fun!
The Ute was more a single body design
1672940874656.png

beg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
does anyone have a link to real world pictures of utility trim seats ?

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I went for the Utility Trim. The rear seat is going to have a full sized bottom and back cover for the kids anyway. I find leather, no matter how cold the car gets, sweats against my shirt and I'm not even a sweaty person, and heating in an Australian vehicle is daft. If they put actual conditioned air through the leather seat and back rest - I would probably opt for Leather.

UTILO Trim all the way!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I went for the Utility Trim. The rear seat is going to have a full sized bottom and back cover for the kids anyway. I find leather, no matter how cold the car gets, sweats against my shirt and I'm not even a sweaty person, and heating in an Australian vehicle is daft. If they put actual conditioned air through the leather seat and back rest - I would probably opt for Leather.

UTILO Trim all the way!
I put the aircon on 23 degrees and so no sweat at all.
Never had a problem with leather seats.
AS you can see the utility seats are 50% leather anyway

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Leather all the way for me. Having had cars with both, the fabrics, even the heavy duty ones get stained over time. Leather just wipes off. Yes iver time the surface colouring can wear but it’s relatively easily restorable. Also having several classic cars. Old leather always lasts and looks good with patina. Old fabric always looks tatty

PC01

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Utility for me with seat covers.
No point in covering up the leather that will get wrecked over the 20 years I plan to keep it.
Whilst I have ordered the standard covers, I will be buying the Melvill and Moon (sand coloured) covers as soon as I get it.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Leather all the way for me. Having had cars with both, the fabrics, even the heavy duty ones get stained over time. Leather just wipes off. Yes iver time the surface colouring can wear but it’s relatively easily restorable. Also having several classic cars. Old leather always lasts and looks good with patina. Old fabric always looks tatty
I find fabric seats have a grain or weave that fills with whatever is dropped and is hard to clean.
While I don't like anyone eating in the car it is not something that can be enforced with wife and grandchildren 100%

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The fabric seats will be extremely hard wearing and it has been stated they are easy to clean.
Different material to my old Landcruisers and Disco.

Local time
Reaction score
I was going to go for leather.. but a local company called Bowdens Own makes all this really cool fabric cleaning and protection stuff. I'm wondering if that won't be just fine.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
If people worry about getting food/drink spills , they make bibs for babies and grownups ;)

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just checking, is the Utility Trim cloth (polyblend) and the side rest made from Pleather? (basically, ground leather fines in a polyurethane blanket?).

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
11:17 PM
Reaction score
I tend to get quite dirty and dusty wearing the same clothes in the desert for a couple of weeks. :oops:

In that case you need to issue Tyvek suits to all passengers. In fact if you make it a condition of entry that all passengers bring their own suit, a small fortune could be saved over the life of the car.

Don’t forget they do the little white overshoes as well 😃

Think I have already replied to this but fabric seats for me with the M&M covers.

I think day one they will have two one size fits all waterproof HDC covers thrown in the front that I already have. Got to keep the seats looking good for the next owner in 2045 😝

Back
Top Bottom