The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Who is experiencing software or electrical gremlins?

Orcmurd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:34 PM
Reaction score
I agree with you and never had any of these gremlins with my Audi, Porsche, BMW, Jeep Wrangler etc.
but keep in mind, that we‘re looking at a complete new product/new software.
all my last cars were in a long development row of predecessors over decades and millions on man hours of software tuning and bug fixing
Yes, new product and new software but Ineos did like to remind us about the millions of miles they were driving as part of the testing/development. They should have been able to resolve things like rear seat belt and TPMS warnings as part of those test miles.

Lets see what the next few weeks bring.

Tanters

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It seems everyone who has received & driven their Grenadier and is contributing to the treads "What did you do with your Gren today" and "First impressions" are mentioning varying degrees of software issues.

Either drivers are pushing too many operational buttons, the wrong buttons or buttons in the wrong sequence - but bells are going off like it's Christmas!
Did they adhere to the IG running in process as per the manual 🤔🤔

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Set off today for a trip to the seaside, first time in the car with the wife and dogs.
During the first 40 miles nearly every warning possible came up on the dash! (yellow)
The apple phone connection continually disconnected, tried resetting etc all to no avail.
Worst, the passenger air bag system became faulty and a constant, loud, high pitched warning siren playing!!
Found warning on scree(red) would not clear. Tried all ignition off, every one out, lock it up etc, still continued to wail!
Parked up in a field, took dogs for a walk, still wailing.
Turned round and drove 50 miles home, wailing all the way!
Parked on drive, wife said this thing is not fit for delivery, or driving on the road, there's no way I'm getting in this heap of shit again till its fixed. She never swears!
As far as I can see the fuse, if I take it out, disconnect's the airbag system, with all the implications that entails.
Any suggestions greatly received.
As I posted this the wailing just stopped!:cry:
Bank holiday tomorrow so no one to fetch it
I have to agree with the Mrs for once, not fit for delivery or use on the road as it is now and waiting for three months for an update is out of the question.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:34 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone tried a battery disconnect, wait, reconnect, restart?

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Set off today for a trip to the seaside, first time in the car with the wife and dogs.
During the first 40 miles nearly every warning possible came up on the dash! (yellow)
The apple phone connection continually disconnected, tried resetting etc all to no avail.
Worst, the passenger air bag system became faulty and a constant, loud, high pitched warning siren playing!!
Found warning on scree(red) would not clear. Tried all ignition off, every one out, lock it up etc, still continued to wail!
Parked on drive, wife said this thing is not fit for delivery, or driving on the road, there's no way I'm getting in this heap of shit again till its fixed. She never swears!
As far as I can see the fuse, if I take it out, disconnect's the airbag system, with all the implications that entails.
I have to agree with the Mrs for once, not fit for delivery or use on the road as it is now and waiting for three months for an update is out of the question.
Herein lies the problem. The first x number of cars have been released into the wild without solid INEOS Automotive after sales support. It should really not matter if tomorrow is a Bank Holiday in the UK There should be a number to call and get immediate support. If this happened to me I would have no clue what to do. I have taken delivery of the car with a verbal promise from the agent that the car has 2 year AA roadside assistance - but this has not been issued to me yet, and no indication when it will. And even then, would the AA know what to do with the Grenadier? I feel bad for you; and worried for myself if this should happen to my family.

EDIT: I wonder - would this justify the SOS call button or does that just go through to emergency services?

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I can imagine pressing that button.

Customer - Hello the power steering has failed and I am now hanging off the side of a bridge and can’t move !!

IA - OK I will get someone to look into it and we may email you back next week, thanks for calling, bye

Remember….The Ineos Grenadier, built on patience

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have to agree with the Mrs for once, not fit for delivery or use on the road as it is now and waiting for three months for an update is out of the question

No words PBD. Your wife sounds like mine, if she reads this then we won't be collecting ours. Hope you get it rectified soon.

Yes, we all are and were impatient to get our vehicles, but they have to be fit for purpose. They should delay further deliveries until these issues are rectified.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I am no expert in this stuff at all, but just a possible solution that is probably well known about.

a few years ago I had a Volvo and whilst driving to work the dials, lights, and everything else on the dash died, the car kept going but the dash was as dead as a dodo.

Luckily the main agent was over the road from where I worked and we had a good relationship with them. I took it round and the service guy took it straight round the back and had the diagnostics on it. he brought it back within 15 mins and said that the ECU had every fault known to man on it. Well over 250.

He said that getting faults can sometimes snowball and one just leads to another until the whole system crashes. As mine had done. He just cleared them all off and it ran fine for the nest 2-3 years.

Could this be the issue here, nothing wrong but a domino effect happening

Reactions: PBD

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is not good to hear. I was attracted to the IG because it was supposed to be a simple vehicle free from all the glitchy electronics that you get on other vehicles. It makes me somewhat relieved that I haven’t even had a contract yet, maybe they’ll sort all this out soon. Let’s hope so.
I‘m starting to think about a 70 series land cruiser again..

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
If mine wasn’t supposed to be in transit, I would be looking at the new Ford Ranger right about now.

IA are not doing themselves any favours tbh, if they want to break into the N American market, this isn’t the way to do it.

If I was SJR I would be going through the management quicker than the CEO of Bud Light right about now. On the bright side, the early adopters might be driving the 4x4 equivalent of a Delorean this time next year.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:34 PM
Reaction score
No words PBD. Your wife sounds like mine, if she reads this then we won't be collecting ours. Hope you get it rectified soon.

Yes, we all are and were impatient to get our vehicles, but they have to be fit for purpose. They should delay further deliveries until these issues are rectified.
And the worst is that your wifes are absolute right and we all know that 🙁

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, new product and new software but Ineos did like to remind us about the millions of miles they were driving as part of the testing/development. They should have been able to resolve things like rear seat belt and TPMS warnings as part of those test miles.

Lets see what the next few weeks bring.
They disabled the warnings during their millions of miles test drives - the noise was ruining their concentration 🤣

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
And the worst is that your wifes are absolute right and we all know that 🙁
You are correct, she said the problems are unacceptable. Vehicles should not have passed Quality Control with these problems. It does explain why they have not been released to the throngs of customers. So what do we all do, we demand that the vehicles are gremlin free, with a guarantee?

@Orcmurd - fair point about distance selling, I would imagine they would fight the regulations as the contract is fairly watertight.

Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
So sorry to see you have to deal with this. The way it is acting it might be a bad ground at the battery or a ground point that got painted in production only to then have the main ground cable or a ground wire for the computer attached. I have had a new vehicle with a bad battery where a cell in the battery failed causing a very similar outcome. If its not software I would look at the battery and the ground points. Still that is something they need to address at this point in the ownership experience, not you.

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You are correct, she said the problems are unacceptable. Vehicles should not have passed Quality Control with these problems. It does explain why they have not been released to the throngs of customers. So what do we all do, we demand that the vehicles are gremlin free, with a guarantee?

@Orcmurd - fair point about distance selling, I would imagine they would fight the regulations as the contract is fairly watertight.
What do you mean by the contract is fairly watertight? As mentioned previously (but don’t take this as advice) we first buyers were distance sold and are entitled to the protections afforded by the legislation. Since we just ordered the manufacturer’s offered spec we (I understand) are not precluded from recourse by the “bespoke” item let out since our vehicles are not truly bespoke/bespoke for the purposes of the Act (albeit this has yet to be definitively opined on in court perhaps)

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
So sorry to see you have to deal with this. The way it is acting it might be a bad ground at the battery or a ground point that got painted in production only to then have the main ground cable or a wire for the the computer attached. I have had a new vehicle with a bad battery where a cell in the battery failed causing a very similar outcome. If its not software I would look at the battery and the ground points. Still that is something they need to address at this point in the ownership experience, not you.
This is my initial suspicion aswell. Bad earth's and dodgy batteries cause the weirdest issues

Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
This is my initial suspicion aswell. Bad earth's and dodgy batteries cause the weirdest issues
When that battery finally failed I was driving and everything took off going crazy on the dash, lost the speedo off and on and the bell for every fault known was going including the airbag. I saw warnings I never knew it had, the steering one was a bit discomforting. I made it to a parts shop and it was dead once I shut it down. New battery and no issues ever after that. This is a 2018 Ram 1500 pickup truck.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I took it back to JT Hughes in the first half hour when the Yellow transmission failure light came on.
The contacted Ineos immediately who told them it was many of the software warnings coming up on delivered vehicles. Ineos said nothing to worry about and software update coming in next couple of months.
Had no more problems until today!
Distance sell does apply to all us new UK owners and we have are full rights as far as I have been told. Ineos warned of this.:mad:

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I took it back to JT Hughes in the first half hour when the Yellow transmission failure light came on.
The contacted Ineos immediately who told them it was many of the software warnings coming up on delivered vehicles. Ineos said nothing to worry about and software update coming in next couple of months.
Had no more problems until today!
Distance sell does apply to all us new UK owners and we have are full rights as far as I have been told. Ineos warned of this.

As long as they're just warnings, and don't result in limp mode being triggered, that's irritating but tolerable. Fingers crossed thus software flash doesn't take long to come

Back
Top Bottom