The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Who is experiencing software or electrical gremlins?

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:57 AM
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
I cannot get too excited at error messages that disappear of their own accord. What I will not stand for is a vehicle that won't start and drive on command; so far that has not been an issue, (nearly 600 miles now).

I have had the "Transmission Error", seatbelts errors and random beeps/buzzes from the proximity sensors. All had gone/disappeared after a restart.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:57 AM
Reaction score
Photos? Videos? Stories to share?
Sadly not a lot of vids or photos. We took the Gren over a mix of farm and woodland tracks, about five or six miles in total. This is a still from a video my lad did . We took the children and ended up plonking tin cans with the air rifles.. You can get a ton of kids and gear in it and it’s a perfect family adventure platform..

Attachments

• IMG_1050.jpeg
    IMG_1050.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0896.jpeg
    IMG_0896.jpeg
    576.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0901.jpeg
    IMG_0901.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 143

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you buy an EV you get used to software issues. Most of them are false alarms , annoying but you just press reset rather than get the dealer out of bed.
The IG is also a computer on wheels , whether we like it or not.
Welcome to 2023!
You think? We have an EV MINI (2022), BMW M5 (2020) and a Civic Type R (2023), your prognosis is incorrect. None of these cars throw up random messages and none have been returned to the dealers..

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
To summarise we have:
  • Rear Seat Belt warnings - a few owners - possibly fix from Amazon or buckle up.
  • Power Steering Pump message - clears after 5
  • Tyre Pressure Warning messages - a few owners
  • Power steering warning came on, and after a restart, the PDC warning also came on - quote @rovie
  • It is suggested that battery condition maybe causing some of the above.
Added:
  • Transmission Error messages
  • Beeps and Buzzes
As mentioned above, these messages are OK, until they do become a problem. Looks as though many of them could be coded out and should not have been eliminated during testing and development.

Any others to add to the list? Are there owners with NO problems?

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:57 PM
Reaction score
You think? We have an EV MINI (2022), BMW M5 (2020) and a Civic Type R (2023), your prognosis is incorrect. None of these cars throw up random messages and none have been returned to the dealers..
fully agree.

Brand new cars don't have these gremlins, especially expensive ones, because they would not pass final quality control check at the factory.

Our last 4 new cars - 3 BMW's & a MB never had these types of issues.

SOMETHING IS WRONG & I would interested if any owners have contacted their Agents and are returning for an assessment?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
You've been lucky ;) Because "I've been on the forums and ...."

Local time
Reaction score
If you buy an EV you get used to software issues. Most of them are false alarms , annoying but you just press reset rather than get the dealer out of bed.
The IG is also a computer on wheels , whether we like it or not.
Welcome to 2023!
Zero issues with our new ev truck or the brother-in-law's new lightning. The design/quality control issues I'm reading about here are deeply concerning. The two different ev trucks are well built and run perfectly, but that's been the limit of my exposure to evs so far.

Last edited:

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Zero issues with our new ev truck or the brother-in-law's new lightning. In fact, the design/quality control issues I'm reading about here are deeply concerning. The two different ev trucks are well built and run perfectly, but that's been the limit of my exposure to evs so far.
In the past I have worked for a motor industry administrator for extended car warranties. What I have experienced so far/ read on here is small potatoes to what can and does happen with new vehicles. The problem with releasing any vehicle into the wild is that nothing is foolproof and fools can be ingenious!

For many of the faults I have seen on the Grenadier, just concealing how long the boot process takes would probably remove most of them, (leave the splash screen up for longer).

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Its really got nothing to do with it being an EV or internal combustion or a wound up spring. There are multiple sensors and a system interpreting signals from those sensors incorrectly. It should have been sorted prior to release, I hate to think what they were like prior to the "fix" being rolled out.

Beormund

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have done two further trips over the weekend (both over a few hours each) - a couple of hundred miles. Since "resetting" the TPMS haven't had a single error/warning message. I do tend to let the car go through it's initialisation/checks first before pulling off. The only fault we now have is a dodgy rear corner sensor that permanently buzzes when reversing. So will mention that to the agent when we next return to have the accessories fitted.

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:57 AM
Reaction score
Another suggestion would be checking the fuses. A problem some of the wrangler JLs had from factory was fuses not being seated in their holders correctly. A mate of mine had issues driving through France with his when he first got it, I tried this and over 50% of fuses in the box were almost hanging out.

Probably not a solution but just a thought

Good idea. Some early Broncos had this issue also

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:57 PM
Reaction score
Its really got nothing to do with it being an EV or internal combustion or a wound up spring. There are multiple sensors and a system interpreting signals from those sensors incorrectly. It should have been sorted prior to release, I hate to think what they were like prior to the "fix" being rolled out.
I thought so as well. It seems that they said „you have time until the 1st of April. Everything not fixed by then will be looked at later…“ or „let’s solve 80% of the problems. That’s doable without too much effort…“

FlyingTrotter

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It’s interesting as a new boy to the forum to see that there are a lot of threads in which people express frustration at the delays in delivery and others bemoaning software faults in the as delivered vehicles

I’m sure as a manufacturer there is pressure on the one hand to delay release to address all or at least most issues and on the other hand pressure to get cars into the hands of customers

Local time
Reaction score
It’s interesting as a new boy to the forum to see that there are a lot of threads in which people express frustration at the delays in delivery and others bemoaning software faults in the as delivered vehicles

I’m sure as a manufacturer there is pressure on the one hand to delay release to address all or at least most issues and on the other hand pressure to get cars into the hands of customers
The issue stems from ineos projecting early release dates that it knew it couldn't conform with. People on this forum had to sign contracts well before receiving their vehicles and also made decisions on whether to sell other autos based on ineos' projected timeline. The resulting delay and silence regarding the reason for it erodes consumer confidence.

It would have been better to be told it was going to be another 12 months of development and testing up front.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

A lot the frustration as I see it including from myself is the delays in delivery once you have been asked to pay in full. You are asked to pay in full once your vehicle has been built and ready to ship. I didn’t mind waiting for Ineos to get the vehicles just right and all glitches sorted before delivery and before I’ve paid in full. After all this time and two weeks and counting since I paid in full I was optimistically hoping my vehicle would arrive without any software issues, reading this thread I’m not so sure.

Schoeniman

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I had the whole list of Gremlins when I picked up the car 3 days ago.
went back to the dealer the next morning to get all error messages checked.
the local engineer hooked up with an Ineos engineer, who was already waiting online for my car to come online for the check.
Results:
- all yellow error messages are caused by a deviation of current „values“ or measurements from the standard values
- these error Messages are quite normal in most cars, but usually not visible to the user/driver, as they are more or less „internal“ system messages
- they are the result of multiple things: temperature, humidity, engine temp, and whatever else
- they‘re expecting a software update in July/August, which should clean up these bugs

Main message was: ignore the yellow ones, unless a yellow triangle remains lit on the right bottom of the driver display. Critical are red alerts, where the triangle remains red.

mine were all cleared and only once or twice I‘ve seen a yellow PDC one since then.
as you can see from my content above, I‘m not an engineer, but have been in the Software industry for some time. So the answers from the engineer made sense to me.

Last edited:
Local time
3:57 AM
Reaction score
It's definitely disheartening considering all the waiting for some / most. We all know this is a new vehicle, but without any communication for Ineos, it is a tough pill to swallow.

False positives are one thing, but actual issues being assumed as a false positive is worrisome at the very least. Good luck to all, for sure.

Orcmurd

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Gremlins should not be happening and I’ve never had them on my last 6 cars (BMW & Mini). I appreciate they seem to clear after a restart but what happens when you are several hundred miles from home or in a different country and a gremlin appears that puts the Grenny into limp home mode or similar. Sure we are supposed to have breakdown cover but given the lack of customer support to date, I do worry about the speed at which warranty claims will be addressed or if there is even the infrastructure or technical knowledge to fix these things.

DDG

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
While I will watch and wait on these issues; it IS the worst possible scenario for Ineos. This is a very bad start. I did not expect a flawless roll out at all. I did expect much fewer technology related issues. That was the Grenadier’s entire point! As a counter point, I just drove my 2022 V8 Defender 110 over 5,000 miles, crisscrossing the entire North American continent in eight days. I did not have a SINGLE tiny malfunction of any kind. Even with all of that sophisticated technology and fancy electronics. Not a single warning light or beep beyond low fuel warnings. Averaged 18.4 mpg with a 510 horsepower supercharged V8.
If my Grenadier arrives and shows these problems that we are seeing, I will be more than disappointed.

Schoeniman

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Gremlins should not be happening and I’ve never had them on my last 6 cars (BMW & Mini). I appreciate they seem to clear after a restart but what happens when you are several hundred miles from home or in a different country and a gremlin appears that puts the Grenny into limp home mode or similar. Sure we are supposed to have breakdown cover but given the lack of customer support to date, I do worry about the speed at which warranty claims will be addressed or if there is even the infrastructure or technical knowledge to fix these things.
I agree with you and never had any of these gremlins with my Audi, Porsche, BMW, Jeep Wrangler etc.
but keep in mind, that we‘re looking at a complete new product/new software.
all my last cars were in a long development row of predecessors over decades and millions on man hours of software tuning and bug fixing

Back
Top Bottom