The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Who’s using it as a daily driver?

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:25 AM
Reaction score
I’m in Houston, TX and in TX people frequent 75-80mph all day long. These are obviously US gal so mileage will be different but what mpg are you getting with the gas version and can you clarify which gallon? Dumb question but is the US gallon only in the US or does it have some international presence?

Secondly what’s it like as a daily driver? I drive about 12k miles a year. How’s the wind noise, stability, braking action, ability to stay in your lane going down a highway with the reported steering dead zone?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:25 PM
Reaction score
I’m in Houston, TX and in TX people frequent 75-80mph all day long. These are obviously US gal so mileage will be different but what mpg are you getting with the gas version and can you clarify which gallon? Dumb question but is the US gallon only in the US or does it have some international presence?

Secondly what’s it like as a daily driver? I drive about 12k miles a year. How’s the wind noise, stability, braking action, ability to stay in your lane going down a highway with the reported steering dead zone?
Pretty much only the US, Myanmar and Libya use the imperial system generally, the Uk can’t decide what they want to use and when, and when they use gallons they are different gallons.

Khalfan323

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:25 AM
Reaction score

I have a 2012 110 that drove like a boat as a daily in town, the desert, and highway. I loved every minute of it. This would be an upgrade no doubt. No doubt it’ll have wind noise at 60mph+, no doubt the steering won’t be as tight. It’s all about what you’re after.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have a 2012 110 that drove like a boat as a daily in town, the desert, and highway. I loved every minute of it. This would be an upgrade no doubt. No doubt it’ll have wind noise at 60mph+, no doubt the steering won’t be as tight. It’s all about what you’re after.
I’m curious about the wheel dead zone. My Discovery TD6 has lane keep assist that I have to turn off when towing my boat because it wags back and forth. With the dead zone I’ve wondered if it will do the same. I’m also just wondering the overall quality as a daily driver if it feels great or more like a Jeep with oversized tires giving a rougher ride and a “waa-waa-waa” going down the road from the tires.

@nd

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

The answer is in the name 'US' gallon :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: .
It's my daily driver i cover between 300/400 miles weekly most on motorways/highways at 70mph+ , there is very little wind noise, stability is good, but a little affected by strong cross winds, breaking is dead straight no pull to the side at all. I think the 'dead zone' mentioned is the fact the steering is not as sharp as a modern non 4x4, i drove a Chevy Suburban last year on holiday the steering is the same. There is good feedback in the steering at any speed.
Mine is fitted with BFG Ko2's they are a little noisy but i can still have a conversation without any problems.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The answer is in the name 'US' gallon :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: .
It's my daily driver i cover between 300/400 miles weekly most on motorways/highways at 70mph+ , there is very little wind noise, stability is good, but a little affected by strong cross winds, breaking is dead straight no pull to the side at all. I think the 'dead zone' mentioned is the fact the steering is not as sharp as a modern non 4x4, i drove a Chevy Suburban last year on holiday the steering is the same. There is good feedback in the steering at any speed.
Mine is fitted with BFG Ko2's they are a little noisy but i can still have a conversation without any problems.
Are French Fries only in France? Are Imperial gallons only in Imperial land?

Are you gas or diesel and what mpg are you getting in your imperial gallons?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine will be daily driver/off road duty, with the expectation of ~35k miles/year.

Driving on the road is as great as anything similar to it (moderately sized, somewhat heavy SUV). You aren't winning any highway drag races against a Cayenne Turbo or a Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, but it has plenty of gusto to move out of its own way

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine will be daily driver/off road duty, with the expectation of ~35k miles/year.

Driving on the road is as great as anything similar to it (moderately sized, somewhat heavy SUV). You aren't winning any highway drag races against a Cayenne Turbo or a Grand Cherokee Trackhawk, but it has plenty of gusto to move out of its own way
Wow 35k/yr is no joke. You might want to start studying the manual on how to service the bearings, fluids, and start saving for an engine swap lol

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wow 35k/yr is no joke. You might want to start studying the manual on how to service the bearings, fluids, and start saving for an engine swap lol

35k/yr is a lot less than what I used to drive (I used to average 55-65k/yr due to a work commute). I'm fortunate to be able to say that nearly all of those miles will be either travel or travelling for off-pavement fun.

Maintenance is just as easy and straightforward as any other vehicle; and I'm confident that the B58 will last well longer than I will be keeping the vehicle. European (car) aftermarket has been my background professionally for nearly 20 years (and longer as a hobby), so I'm quite confident on the reliability of the engine used. If I were to guess a "safe" number, I would think 200k+ before any real engine/trans failures. My average length I've kept my vehicles is 15-30 months over the past 20 years or so; the plan is to sell the Grenadier when the double cab arrives (I'm assuming early-mid '25)

BAS-Remaps

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
And report? Gas or diesel, road noise at highway speed, any difficulty staying in its lane?
Mine is Diesel, Its not bad at all on the road noise wise, its far better than my L316 Defender ever was, it has no leaks, no wind noise etc etc.
Its not like a silent Merc by any means as Ive got the BFG Ko2's mud tyres on but its really not bad at all and nothing to be worried about.

It sits on the road in all situations very, very well. Its overall handeling and road behaviour is brilliant without any wobble or quirks at all.
It will stay where ever its put on the road without any wandering or dificillty at any speed.

Id say its overall very, very good in all situations so far, with a fantasitc view out from all angles as a driver.

Im very happy with it.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
35k/yr is a lot less than what I used to drive (I used to average 55-65k/yr due to a work commute). I'm fortunate to be able to say that nearly all of those miles will be either travel or travelling for off-pavement fun.

Maintenance is just as easy and straightforward as any other vehicle; and I'm confident that the B58 will last well longer than I will be keeping the vehicle. European (car) aftermarket has been my background professionally for nearly 20 years (and longer as a hobby), so I'm quite confident on the reliability of the engine used. If I were to guess a "safe" number, I would think 200k+ before any real engine/trans failures. My average length I've kept my vehicles is 15-30 months over the past 20 years or so; the plan is to sell the Grenadier when the double cab arrives (I'm assuming early-mid '25)
I use to cycle every two years through vehicles myself but fell in love with my 2017 Discovery TD6. Really wish I could have had the diesel options in the states. I don’t tow a ton but I like knowing it’s there. Hopefully fuel mileage isn’t a total killer. Outside of that I’m very much looking to make this a forever vehicle. My only real concern is that sooner or later the technology will take a big leap and that tiny dash display might look way overly antiquated. I don’t recall how it’s built in hut would be nice if there was a modular upgrade option. Honestly for something like this I don’t know why they just didn’t make it tablet oriented.

@nd

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

we have chips, MPG, liters, feet and inches cm and meters, miles and yards, stones, pounds and ounces a truly odd place :ROFLMAO: 🤪
I'm driving a diesel according to my calculations i am getting between 30 and 32 mpg (slightly less than i previous thought) about 27/28 to the US gallon (y)

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Once you’re used to it, it’s a good highway cruiser.. cabin noise is agreeable at speed. It’s got good road manners and quite chuckable if you want to make progress in the lanes. You do notice the driveline whine and shunt, but i like the mechanics of it all, and is part of the fun of having a near three ton car with Unimog like running gear underneath you..

Jeremy996

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
I usually do about 22k miles a year, split evenly between work and pleasure. I have a diesel with 3100+miles on the odo driven from 22/04/2023, so about 100 miles a week less than usual. MPG on Imperial gallons is around 24.2 and still improving slowly.

It is quieter than my wife's 2012 Fiat 500C and 2000 Mazda MX5; at 70mph we can have a conversation, (almost impossible in a 200Tdi LR110CSW). It is quicker than expected and handles tidily, even though it is on the K02 tyres.

It is being mistakenly identified as a Land Rover product by clients who were used to me turning up in the 1989 LR110CSW - I find that a bit strange,but they do see it as an upgrade!

Local time
Reaction score
Road noise at 70 mph is really good …….. until you add the roof rack. Then it’s a different ball game.
:unsure:Is the wind noise at highway speed bad inside the cabin because the roof rack is loaded? Or are you saying at that speed, a full roof rack is just noisy - even when unloaded. thanks!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
:unsure:Is the wind noise at highway speed bad inside the cabin because the roof rack is loaded? Or are you saying at that speed, a full roof rack is just noisy - even when unloaded. thanks!

Full not as in loaded, but full length

Back
Top Bottom