The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

what re the options for gps navigation

Aussie Battler

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:43 PM
Reaction score
What are the options for GPS navigation ? at the moment I can only get google maps which I find is next to useless for navigaion (ok for preparing trips) . I think I am going to have to stick my old retired navnan on to the windscreen

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What are the options for GPS navigation ? at the moment I can only get google maps which I find is next to useless for navigaion (ok for preparing trips) . I think I am going to have to stick my old retired navnan on to the windscreen
Much and all as I occasionally feel conflicted "asking" Google for "permission"🙄, I sometimes use Google maps via Android auto for greater Brisbane metro and regional centres to good effect..

Vote:
Upvote 0

Aussie Battler

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Much and all as I occasionally feel conflicted "asking" Google for "permission"🙄, I sometimes use Google maps via Android auto for greater Brisbane metro and regional centres to good effect..
I used google maps on auto android in Adelaide 3 days ago and it sent me in circles , it picks a route that is not the best and wont let you change it . As far as I know the system that is used in the IG will only allow google based maps .

Vote:
Upvote 0

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Try Organic Maps. Made by the developers of maps.me (commonly used in Russia and elsewhere) but subscription and ad free.
It uses open source maps and while insensitive to traffic etc (versus Google or Apple Maps) it’ll get you where you’re going.

EDIT: the app will download OSM maps to your device and consequently works offline. Worked fine across the Simpson and red centre in general so no issues with Oz use.

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:43 AM
Reaction score
For normal daily use, I go with maps (Apple). For finding the shortcuts, non motorway or tollways I use Waze. And for greenlaning or roadbooks (GPX files) I use Gaia GPS. These all works using CarPlay on the central console.

Vote:
Upvote 0

ddv

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I used google maps on auto android in Adelaide 3 days ago and it sent me in circles , it picks a route that is not the best and wont let you change it . As far as I know the system that is used in the IG will only allow google based maps .
You can use any navigation/mapping software that can be accessed via CarPlay (or Android). At the very least this includes Apple Maps, Google and Waze and no doubt some others. To use maps for navigation where I do not have reception (common in remote travel) I use a seperate device (iPad) that can use maps that are downloaded. I find ExploreOz excellent and 4x4 Explorer by Hema. Both these are apps that I have on my iPad. They both have their pros and cons and in some ways complement each other. There are others that can be used on iPad but I am not sufficient.y familiar with them to comment on what they are like.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom