The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas What is your petrol US gal mpg?

DezRoamer

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:01 PM
Reaction score
That‘s pretty good. Plus you’re at what 5000-6000ft above sea level?
6,000+
The only reason I like knowing accurate fuel consumption is for range. In some parts of the Southwestern US it can be important.
I know it's an IG forum, but this little 90 was brilliant off pavement.

Attachments

• IMG_7977.jpg
    IMG_7977.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8007.jpg
    IMG_8007.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Local time
3:01 PM
Reaction score
actual calculated mpg/ onboard computer
1) 13.8/ 16.6
2) 14.1/ 16.1
3) 13.4/ 15.7
4) 14.3/ 16.7
5) 13.1/ ??

new:
6) 14.2/ 16.5
Federal law allows factory speedometers to read 10% higher or lower than the actual speed (49 CFR 393.82. Since speedometer accuracy probably tracks with odometer accuracy, why would any auto maker not have their speedometers read high? A 10% overestimation of miles driven should translate to some very real savings in warrantee claims.

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:01 PM
Reaction score
Federal law allows factory speedometers to read 10% higher or lower than the actual speed (49 CFR 393.82. Since speedometer accuracy probably tracks with odometer accuracy, why would any auto maker not have their speedometers read high? A 10% overestimation of miles driven should translate to some very real savings in warrantee claims.
Heck of a good point there!

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I believe the speedo is allowed to be 10% high and 0% low.

Mine reads 78 mph when traveling a true GPS verified 75 mph.
Assuming the odometer has the same error, when it reaches 30,000 miles; I will have actually travelled 28,846 miles.
It also would also skew my manual calculations of mpg since I use the odometer to determine miles travelled.
14 mpg would, in reality, be 13.46 mpg.

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Next fillup:

actual calculated mpg/ onboard computer
1) 13.8/ 16.6
2) 14.1/ 16.1
3) 13.4/ 15.7
4) 14.3/ 16.7
5) 13.1/ ??

6) 14.2/ 16.5

7) 13.9/ 16.2

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:01 PM
Reaction score
I live in Charlotte, NC and drive on both highways and around the city and I average about 16.5-17.5mpg.
Computer average, or one you manually calculate? There seems to be a significant discrepancy (see nuclearbeef's numbers).

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:01 PM
Reaction score
Speedometer almost never track with odometer accuracy.

Rupert

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OK, I'll bite. Porsche 911 is and is advertised in the operators manual as being 3 MPH above what is actual. Silly thing considering there isn't much difference between 147 MPH and 150 MPH. :ROFLMAO:

Rupert only has 500 miles right now so I would say not a good comparison. Right now I am averaging about 15.5 on the trip computer, so it is most likely less than that if the math calc was done. I would say it will most likely be pretty settled after 2,500 miles and will post up again at that time. Honestly, if it got 10 MPG, I would still love it. I appreciate gas guzzlers, I wish everyone drove one. Guess what business I am in?

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not with a turbo/supercharged engine.
Why would this be?
Less drag due to reduced density.
You wouldn’t see the increase in engine efficiency due to reducing pumping losses as in a NA engine. But the turbo having to work harder should have only a slight reduction (if any) on overall engine efficiency.

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Why would this be?
Less drag due to reduced density.
You wouldn’t see the increase in engine efficiency due to reducing pumping losses as in a NA engine. But the turbo having to work harder should have only a slight reduction (if any) on overall engine efficiency.
Only to reduced drag.
Non-forced induction engines tend to lose power simply because of less air density, and since/if they are running more or less stoichiometric air/fuel ratio, they use less of fuel.
Forced induction more or less masks that effect.

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Only to reduced drag.
Non-forced induction engines tend to lose power simply because of less air density, and since/if they are running more or less stoichiometric air/fuel ratio, they use less of fuel.
Forced induction more or less masks that effect.
N/A engines will lose power at any given throttle setting and will make less max power.
But the air/fuel mixture will remain the same.
You will just need to use a more open throttle to make the same power.

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
N/A engines will lose power at any given throttle setting and will make less max power.
But the air/fuel mixture will remain the same.
You will just need to use a more open throttle to make the same power.
Going over the Coal Bank Pass on U.S.550 in the Range Rover Classic was a flat-out affair. I thought I'd burn a lot of fuel - but the gas mileage ended up a little better than at sea level.

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My first tank hand calc was 16.5. Just ran a tank through primarily highway with punishing headwinds and was down to 11.6 which almost makes it a no go for long distance remote use since you have no idea what conditions you will face. I hope it is an anomoly.

Adding-US Gasoline version and under 1000 miles on odometer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom