The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Love lost?

BionicBrandon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:43 PM
Reaction score
Second test drive for me. Did the offroad course a couple months ago, which was loads of fun. Amazing. Did the road and highway test today, and it was...fine. No major complaints, but I didn't leave the dealership giddy. I'm very conflicted. It's an amazing offroad tool, arguably the best 'off the shelf' offroader built today. But it's expensive. All of the money is below the floorboard with best-in-class axles, suspension, lockers, etc. etc. etc. Incredibly well thought out and designed.

Above the floorboard, it's just OK. Quieter than my Jeep, but louder than my Land Cruiser and LR3. Driving experience was good. Power is good. It's tighter inside than I'd like but seats are comfortably snug in a good way. Rear seating area is entirely too tight - limited knee room and three adults across isn't practical. Rear seating position is too upright and not adjustable. I'd be miserable on a road trip back there. Premium radio is far from premium. I didn't hear the regular radio, but if this is the upgrade...yikes. Cargo area is smaller than I'd like with or without seats folded. I wish they'd been able to get the rear seats to fold flat to cargo bed, which would give you at least the impression of a bigger cargo area. Having to remove the headrest to lay rear seat flat is disappointing and doesn't feel like you're really adding much space. In fact, you have to tilt the seat forward first, then remove the headrest. Only then can you lay it flat. Before that, the middle rear seatbelt buckle has to be manhandled and aligned to get the seat to flip up. Just skip that whole process and push the seatback onto the seat. It's not quite flat, but close enough and avoids the gymnastics. Seems like an odd design decision. Yeah, I know all about the fuse box and wading thing. Still, seem like there had to be an option that wouldn't take away key cargo space.

New safety measures are being added for the 2024's, like emergency braking and a camera system that detects speed and driver drowsiness. That's great! Would it be a big leap to add adaptive cruise since 90% of the hardware is now there? I know simplicity is king here, but there is a lot of tech that is battle proven, would add to the experience and not going to leave you stranded. I think we'll see some of those added next go 'round.

The Grenny is a unique head-turner that would serve you well for decades. There's just a few misses that might be enough to make me pass on my reserved Fieldmaster until owner feedback is incorporated into improvements. A million miles tested isn't the same as a million miles of daily owner use. If the Grenny was $10-20,000 less, I wouldn't blink. With a few more conveniences and design improvements, I wouldn't blink. But as-is, as-priced, I think it's so-very-close but probably a miss for me, which I HATE as I've been anticipating this day for years. YEARS! I so badly wanted to love it. It's a lot of dough for a badass offroader with few driver conveniences in what needs to be a daily driver for a lot of folks. We all want to offroad, but the truth is that most of us will drive it to work, too. Just make that part a little better. I'm not asking for Lexus, just beat Jeep.

Fun fact: my dealership will lease them to you. In order for a lease to be priced, a residual must be established. The three year residual is currently set at 51-58%, with the Trialmaster being the quickest depreciating model (51%), and the regular stationwagon being the slowest (58%). That means that your 2024 Trialmaster will be worth about $40,000 in 2027. This surprises me greatly. With such a small annual production run, I would expect just the opposite. With such a small run (6000-7000/year Stateside), high margins are necessary for it to make sense for the dealers to build facilities, hire staff, training, etc. so I get the premium pricing. I just hope the value holds.

Joefly78

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
11:43 PM
Reaction score
The way I'm looking at this truck is that it's a one-and-done offroad/tractor purchase. Well maintained you shouldn't really need to resell or replace it ever. That said, your concerns about the interior, comfort and utliity are ones I share. I wasn't thrilled when I checked it out last week. Lots of stuff could be better. But you know, it's an unbelievably cool, purposeful car. There's nothing else like it. I'm gonna jump in and embrace the good and bad. I think our resale is going to be pretty great for the next year at least, so it should be a reversible decision. There are lots of people that have no clue what this thing is but will want it, badly, once they see it.

Reducs

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This sums up what I've been thinking both consciously and subconsciously. I'm still on board, but I can't help but think there will be a "MK II" version coming along sooner rather than later with subtle refinements and fixes, and yes, it'll cost more. BTW @BionicBrandon, Houston or DFW?

Local time
8:43 PM
Reaction score
This sums up what I've been thinking both consciously and subconsciously. I'm still on board, but I can't help but think there will be a "MK II" version coming along sooner rather than later with subtle refinements and fixes, and yes, it'll cost more. BTW @BionicBrandon, Houston or DFW?
I’m with all three of you. @Joefly78 @BionicBrandon

I have asked the dealer for lease numbers so I can mitigate some of the unknowns: next version, hydrogen/electric, failure (of some sort), etc.

BionicBrandon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Another consideration: my local dealer tells me that Ineos has a financing partner, and they are quoting 10% for 60 months. After taxes, etc. you're looking at a payment of $1800/month...for five years. At that payment, it's a daily driver (if not a house payment), so the driver amenities become even more critical. @Joefly78, I thought about just taking delivery and seeing if someone wanted it more than I do. Looking at overseas markets, the pricing isn't going crazy - "flippers" in the UK are selling their <100km Grenny's for what they paid. This surprises me given the limited production, which means there must be limited buyers. My guess is that there's just not meat left on the bone north of $85K, especially since interest rates are hurting buying power. I may eat those words, though. I just worry that this may be too niche of a vehicle for people who need a daily driver as well as true grit offroad.

BionicBrandon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
DFW. Sewell is the dealer, and they are great. Been a fan for years. Unfortunately, their Ineos dealership is a solid hour plus from my house.

Local time
Reaction score
Another consideration: my local dealer tells me that Ineos has a financing partner, and they are quoting 10% for 60 months. After taxes, etc. you're looking at a payment of $1800/month...for five years. At that payment, it's a daily driver (if not a house payment), so the driver amenities become even more critical. @Joefly78, I thought about just taking delivery and seeing if someone wanted it more than I do. Looking at overseas markets, the pricing isn't going crazy - "flippers" in the UK are selling their <100km Grenny's for what they paid. This surprises me given the limited production, which means there must be limited buyers. My guess is that there's just not meat left on the bone north of $85K, especially since interest rates are hurting buying power. I may eat those words, though. I just worry that this may be too niche of a vehicle for people who need a daily driver as well as true grit offroad.
10% is alarming if that is coming from the Ineos finance partner. Concerns me about what what they see for the future of this car.

Reducs

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
DFW. Sewell is the dealer, and they are great. Been a fan for years. Unfortunately, their Ineos dealership is a solid hour plus from my house.
Same. We're ~45 minutes via toll roads. West Arlington. Unless they got new cars in, I don't think either had the premium sound. 1 MM, 1 Shale?

JonSutton

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:43 AM
Reaction score
I suspect the UK isn’t a great comparator right now. Economy is currently tough with plenty of nerves about. The earlier trades probably did quite well but now both housing and motors are stickier with Ineos operating without dealers for new supply.
The demand in the US seems solid by comparison, certainly got the impression from Regal at Roswell earlier this month that they’d had stacks of interest and a lot of orders. The US prices feels about the same as the UK in Georgia. Once folk start seeing them on the road they’ll be in demand IMO.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Navy Federal and Penfed should both be pretty good (for current times), probably under 6% depending on credit. Worth looking into those if you qualify. I think Penfed still lets you in after joining a charity group. Military family association or something. I did it forever ago and always get a pre-approval from Penfed before car shopping so I'm ready if the dealer doesn't have anything good. They usually come up with something to beat it, which is usually 2 or so % better than their first offer. I hate dealer finance people.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
10% APR on the loan? 🤣🤣🤣

I’ll find my own “partner” Thank you.

If anything, pre order folks should be offered something amazing as a thank you. 2.99 would be agreeable 😁

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:43 AM
Reaction score
That means that your 2024 Trialmaster will be worth about $40,000 in 2027. This surprises me greatly.
A lower (estimated) value at the end of the lease time means higher leasing rates. That's what the lessor wants. And the higher (actual) value at the end of the lease time means a higher sales price. Again, that's what the company wants.

🤷‍♂️

So I'm not surprised. Not at all.

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I suspect the UK isn’t a great comparator right now. Economy is currently tough with plenty of nerves about.
I saw a recent YouTube video of a UK Porsche expert, where he is showing how in the UK the used/new price of some of the more desirable Porsches are dropping like a rock, which is indicative of the current luxury car prices across the board In the UK. Thus if the Grenadier is still demanding at near MSRP for a lightly used vehicle, then I think it shows well for the consumer demand of the Grenadier.

BionicBrandon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
10% APR on the loan? 🤣🤣🤣

I’ll find my own “partner” Thank you.

If anything, pre order folks should be offered something amazing as a thank you. 2.99 would be agreeable 😁
If only! Fed rate is above that, so they'd be taking a financial hit immediately. But I agree, there should be some consideration for Day 1 supporters beyond "pre-order pricing", which is starting to sound like it may hold for a while. I know demand is through the roof, but I suspect there are a lot of folks like me that see it and love it, but the reality of ownership costs brings them back to earth. Man, if only it were $15-20,000 less, I've be forever in love. Maybe I just need to orbit for a couple of years and pick one up on the used market. Even the red hot new Bronco eventually became just another used car, complete with depreciation. I think once you get a Grenny, new or used, it'll go the distance. Used may help the entry point and allow the love affair to start.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Navy Federal and Penfed should both be pretty good (for current times), probably under 6% depending on credit. Worth looking into those if you qualify. I think Penfed still lets you in after joining a charity group. Military family association or something. I did it forever ago and always get a pre-approval from Penfed before car shopping so I'm ready if the dealer doesn't have anything good. They usually come up with something to beat it, which is usually 2 or so % better than their first offer. I hate dealer finance people.
I'm actually on the phone with Penfed now because they don't recognize the VIN. They are trying to figure out origin and thought it was Australian somehow and relaying messages between me and the underwriter. "So it's a British vehicle, with a German engine, designed by Austrians, made in France, and they're selling to you here?" If anyone else goes through the process with them, you're welcome for getting them sorted out.

BionicBrandon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
10% is absurd. My local bank is mid 7%, no way I would pay 10%. Me thinks Ineos needs a new finance partner.
Take a look at the math. If you do get 7.0%, payment for an $85k build (including my Texas vehicle taxes) lowers the payment from $1800 to $1683. Money is money, but $117 doesn't tip the scales into buy-now territory for me. That's just a lot of dough for speciality tool. A kick ass one, no doubt, but man, that's some adult money right there being put into a truck.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Take a look at the math. If you do get 7.0%, payment for an $85k build (including my Texas vehicle taxes) lowers the payment from $1800 to $1683. Money is money, but $117 doesn't tip the scales into buy-now territory for me. That's just a lot of dough for speciality tool. A kick ass one, no doubt, but man, that's some adult money right there being put into a truck.
I'm seeing numbers around 6% but I see your point. If I didn't have a trade in and cash for a down payment it would be a tougher deal to make.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:43 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys in this discussion.

There’s a lot on this thread about leasing rates, and that’s really just personal finance, but cut Ineos Auto some slack, they;re in no position to offer really hot rates, having spent a motza over years to get the car to exist. Their ‘partner’ is never going to be the best rate. Ford and GM or whoever are old companies with sunk costs and different abilities - rewarding early peple with a rate is an expectation Ineos cant meet. Get the best rate you can from whoever, its not on the manufacturer, its on banks. The residuals? no-one really knows. They are set low, high, in various markets, we will find out in a few years.

On the car, it seems many of you have a lot of love, and then a few things you really suggest are dealbreakers compared to other things or options on the market. But then you say it would be a no-brainer and love forever if it were a little cheaper. As someone who’s been driving one for many months now, and using it in and out of the city centre every day (not what I expected to do, and we have a city car) can I suggest that if this car speaks to you, then you’re going to find it amazing, and very very engaging and rewarding to drive. If you can afford the ‘extra’ 10 or whatever k you think is the issue, then just do it. If you can’t, then the car isnt for you. (NB, your pricing is in line with all the other markets, but yours is the only one that has a dealer margin, everywhere else ‘agents’ take a small slice. The car is not high margin for Ineos, especially in your market).
And keep in mind that this car is specifically intended NOT to be suitable for most people who buy most of the other 4wd cars. It is not trying to compete with all the things that are normal, expected, even seen as essential by most customers. So it might be that you like lots of things about it, but when it comes down to it your need is actually for a more daily drive biased car. That’s OK. In fact it’s great - you have more choice at much better value.
…..but if you do take the leap, trust me, you’ll have a grin, and a car you’ll likely keep for a long time. Stop sweating features, the thing is spectacular.

Back
Top Bottom