The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Went to pick up my Grenadier...

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:21 AM
Reaction score
He probably didn't order 4. More like he went I to the system to make changes to his existing order. Each time confirming a new order. That's on the whole order process. I do think Ineos should have followed the same process as the ROW. Pay a 5 grand unrecoverable deposit to complete the order. That would separate the wheat from the shaft.
But that said, the people who are backing out are providing a small inventory for the dealers that otherwise may not be available. :)

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When I picked up mine from Crown in FL last week it was the 45th car they had delivered.
Triad indicated they delivered 17 in Dec alone. No quotes for Nov as most vehicles started arriving in late Oct/early Nov with the delays in actual delivery to Dealers.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
He probably didn't order 4. More like he went I to the system to make changes to his existing order. Each time confirming a new order. That's on the whole order process. I do think Ineos should have followed the same process as the ROW. Pay a 5 grand unrecoverable deposit to complete the order. That would separate the wheat from the shaft.
* chaff

If the direct sales model would have been available in the US, a great many things would have been different.

Manzino

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I realized that because I have the raised air intake, I didn't get one of those cool hybrid UK/Germany flag emblems included on my Grenadier. Does anyone know if they are available by some other means?

Local time
Reaction score
The GX is definitely more of a mall cruiser than the grenadier, but they’re still capable machines worth a good comparison imo
I'm in the same buying matrix: good enough off road for what I want, yet also good for wife, family, and passengers. I have a LR and tested the new Defender - it's very comfortable & tons of space for all your stuff. The new GX 550 Overtrail seems to hit alot of what I'd want for off road, and it should be tech rich and have lots of space inside. We'll see. I tested an older GX and didn't find it wonderful inside, but this new one is a bit bigger in all directions, and it will allow 18" rims for some KO2s. For all the marketing cred Defender wants to show for itself, you can't configure 6cyl with 18" rims and KO2s; plastic hammers anyone? IMO the GX is positioned well against the Defender: likely to be more capable off road than Defender, but not likely to offer as much space inside for the passengers. Grenadier seems to be designed for enduring driving related abuse over long periods of time - stronger parts are a good investment if you are depending on the vehicle and driving long distances from service points. The mall car is clearly Defender. If JLR wanted you to take Defender into camp sites, you'd be able to configure it with KO2s and delete the almost complete glass top (if you want to park a glass roof car under pines trees, OK, but not my type of roulette). JLR doesn't imagine camp site Defenders, so the new GX is going to attrack those folks turned off by Defender only offering mall trims. I think the new GX Overtrail is going to surprise folks with its off road ability. The LC 200 tech was withheld from the GX, which is why a LC was $30k more money than the GX and the LC was the better SUV by far. But the new GX will get the old LC tech for off road, so it's a game changer in what it will have the ability to do. The GX will offer a lux trim with big rims and you can go park that at the mall. But what is different this time is that besides the mall offering trims, the GX will have 2 trims for off road preference buyers. Lexus didn't do that with the prior GX; JLR doesn't do that with Defender. Only with the GX can you get a mall oriented SUV or an off road oriented SUV - so they are really broadening the buying base. JLR is going the opposite way and narrowng the focus: Buy a RR! If you can't afford the RR, how about the RR Sport? A Discovery? Really low on cash & just want a nameplate... have you seen the Evoke? Pure gold; 24 ct, 18 ct, 12 ct - what's your buying point... JLR marketing Defender to be just another RR trim limits buyers. I think if JLR wanted to make an off road Defender, it could. But 21" rims paired to a V8 is JLR laughing at off road folks, and so it's those folks likely to show up at a Lexus dealership. Lexus, in contrast to JLR, is not laughing; they are about to stick the landing after 3 spinning backflips off the beam. The GX Overtrail is aimed squarely at the Defender buyer that wants a high quility and luxury SUV for both on and off road driving. The new GX is nothing like the old one. It's not updated version, or really similar but a bit changed. It's a totally different SUV. Once the off road community has a chance to bash them up a bit, it's likely going to be that the GX was designed for off road, and the Defender was designed for the parking lot. I think the Grenadier is sufficiently different from all else that's out there, they won't lose out much to the GX. It's really Defender that's will lose a sale. If you really love the Grenadier, I don't think a heated steering wheel or back seats on the GX is going to win you over. The Grenadier seems like it's building a distinct ethos and buying population, like Wranglers have done.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:21 AM
Reaction score
I'm in the same buying matrix: good enough off road for what I want, yet also good for wife, family, and passengers. I have a LR and tested the new Defender - it's very comfortable & tons of space for all your stuff. The new GX 550 Overtrail seems to hit alot of what I'd want for off road, and it should be tech rich and have lots of space inside. We'll see. I tested an older GX and didn't find it wonderful inside, but this new one is a bit bigger in all directions, and it will allow 18" rims for some KO2s. For all the marketing cred Defender wants to show for itself, you can't configure 6cyl with 18" rims and KO2s; plastic hammers anyone? IMO the GX is positioned well against the Defender: likely to be more capable off road than Defender, but not likely to offer as much space inside for the passengers. Grenadier seems to be designed for enduring driving related abuse over long periods of time - stronger parts are a good investment if you are depending on the vehicle and driving long distances from service points. The mall car is clearly Defender. If JLR wanted you to take Defender into camp sites, you'd be able to configure it with KO2s and delete the almost complete glass top (if you want to park a glass roof car under pines trees, OK, but not my type of roulette). JLR doesn't imagine camp site Defenders, so the new GX is going to attrack those folks turned off by Defender only offering mall trims. I think the new GX Overtrail is going to surprise folks with its off road ability. The LC 200 tech was withheld from the GX, which is why a LC was $30k more money than the GX and the LC was the better SUV by far. But the new GX will get the old LC tech for off road, so it's a game changer in what it will have the ability to do. The GX will offer a lux trim with big rims and you can go park that at the mall. But what is different this time is that besides the mall offering trims, the GX will have 2 trims for off road preference buyers. Lexus didn't do that with the prior GX; JLR doesn't do that with Defender. Only with the GX can you get a mall oriented SUV or an off road oriented SUV - so they are really broadening the buying base. JLR is going the opposite way and narrowng the focus: Buy a RR! If you can't afford the RR, how about the RR Sport? A Discovery? Really low on cash & just want a nameplate... have you seen the Evoke? Pure gold; 24 ct, 18 ct, 12 ct - what's your buying point... JLR marketing Defender to be just another RR trim limits buyers. I think if JLR wanted to make an off road Defender, it could. But 21" rims paired to a V8 is JLR laughing at off road folks, and so it's those folks likely to show up at a Lexus dealership. Lexus, in contrast to JLR, is not laughing; they are about to stick the landing after 3 spinning backflips off the beam. The GX Overtrail is aimed squarely at the Defender buyer that wants a high quility and luxury SUV for both on and off road driving. The new GX is nothing like the old one. It's not updated version, or really similar but a bit changed. It's a totally different SUV. Once the off road community has a chance to bash them up a bit, it's likely going to be that the GX was designed for off road, and the Defender was designed for the parking lot. I think the Grenadier is sufficiently different from all else that's out there, they won't lose out much to the GX. It's really Defender that's will lose a sale. If you really love the Grenadier, I don't think a heated steering wheel or back seats on the GX is going to win you over. The Grenadier seems like it's building a distinct ethos and buying population, like Wranglers have done.
I went to pick up my IG and walked on several issues that to me should have been addressed on a $100K purchase. Since then - a couple observations - the IG has so much going for it in the sense that you can take it outdoors, beat the crap out of it, and not feel guilty. It is also arguably the best looking car on the road - PERIOD. My wife and I drove aG550 in early Jan after walking from the Grenadier- and frankly its an outstanding vehicle - but it's gap is that while it has the refinement that the Grenadier did not have - I would equate taking it on an overland trip like wearing a tuxedo to go for a 3 day alpine hike. You will trash it quickly outside of a mall parking lot. I mean a rear door with quilted leather??? The real turn off for me is the payload - 1060# which is less than my x5 and pretty much worthless for such a capable vehicle.

The GX550 Overtrail - though I have not seen it in person - I would call it in between the IG and the G550. The GX seems very durable - but with the creature comforts that would suit probably 99% of overland drivers. Plus, not sure any argument could be made against Lexus/Toyota reliability. To me the new Defender as you point out above (like all LR products) lost their purpose/soul many years ago - who buys an off roader with 22" rims to hit anything more than a groomed sand road.

It will be interesting to see what IG does with all the constructive feedback from so many of the owners on this site - their 2.0 could OWN the market if they want it to with some very easy tweaks....

Last edited:

Deepcrates

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
3:21 AM
Reaction score
I’m also torn on the GX and IG. The GX I just haven’t seen in person and have been calling everywhere to see if there’s a demo unit. Seems like end of March is when they’ll hit dealerships. Waitlisted for one and have a good chance at being allocated my spec.

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:21 AM
Reaction score
I’m also torn on the GX and IG. The GX I just haven’t seen in person and have been calling everywhere to see if there’s a demo unit. Seems like end of March is when they’ll hit dealerships. Waitlisted for one and have a good chance at being allocated my spec.
As a fellow Californian - get ready for $25K over sticker....

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I seriously considered a 2023 GX with the V8. Dealer had one with an installed tow package which is what I wanted. Alas I opted to stick w/the Grenadier. Felt the GX was too refined for my taste and if I really wanted to off-road it would need fairly robust modifications to the front end And some type of lift kit.

stuck with the Grenny because it is ready to off-road out the door and because of it’s uniqueness. After driving it for a few days (90% highway) I am happy I made the decision to stick with it.

TRAILMASTER

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:21 AM
Reaction score
Regal apparently has 18 on the lot. I'd try them. Seem like reasonable guys.
AVAILABLE FOR SALE
Knauz Ineos (Chicagoland) currently has 50 listed online (49 - Sale Pending but 1 "I'm Available" heading).
Sterling Silver w/ black leather, Rough Pack w/ 18"steelies, front/rear diff locks, tow hitch, etc. $85,615
FYI - Knauz had 550 pre-orders so they amongst largest dealers with 500+

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:21 AM
Reaction score
The GX550 Overtrail - though I have not seen it in person - I would call it in between the IG and the G550.
I would place the GX550 Overtrail beneath the IG based upon my experience. I have owned the following Toyota vehicles (not listed the Toyota Cars!)
1978 FJ40
1986 FJ60 Blue
1986 FJ60 Brown
1986 FJ60 Silver
1986 FJ60 Red
2000 4RUNNER
2002 4RUNNER
2004 4RUNNER
2008 4RUNNER
2000 100 SERIER LAND CRUISER (still own)
2013 200 SERIES LAND CRUISER (still own)

The only difference between Lexus Models and Land Cruiser products, in the past, has mostly been interior materials (generally fancy dash stuff) and engines. The Lexus GX470 has the V8 engine while the 4Runner had 6 cylinders (there were a few awesome years when the 4Runner had a V8). The current Land Cruiser 250 (Prada) will have a 4 cylinder engine and the Lexus GX550 will have a 6 cylinder one. Pretty sure the Lexus will have a pimped out interior too (to further differentiate them from 4Runners as done so in past years).

In comparing my Grenadier to my Land Cruisers I do not feel that the interior is inferior at all, just different. The Grenadier interior is very robust and comfortable as well and the leather is as good as that in the LC. Noise level appears to be about the same (need to get me electronics to test this). The Grenadier handles highway potholes much better than the LC and it feels much more grounded than the LC.

I just do not see the GX550 as being better than the Grenadier but, it will certainly be much different and it will have a different type of refinement to it. Based upon my Daughter in laws GX470 - the Grenadier would stomp it.

Back
Top Bottom