The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Vibrations at certain RPM

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
In regards to the vibrations many seem to be feeling on their new Grenadiers, it reminded me of having the same thing happen on a couple of my Range Rover
Sports, where I was feeling a vibration at certain rpm’s through my steering wheel.
One was related to the tires/rims needing much better balancing, which was resolved by having the tires/rims balanced on a road force balancer.
The other time, Land Rover decided to eliminate and not install a transfer case damper, which basically looked like a rubber donut on the outside of the transfer case. I had found the Land Rover Technical Bulletin, (LTB00305), on line on a Land Rover Forum, and gave a copy to my service rep. He did not think that was the reason I was experiencing the vibration in the steering wheel, however he ordered one and had it installed. Completely cured the vibration. Please see the link to that bulletin and look at page 2 where they show what the donut looked like. Not sure if either of these are the causes of the vibrations on the Grenadier some are experiencing, however perhaps a good place to start looking. Da Bull

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/MC-10214006-9999.pdf

Attachments

• LTB00305 Tech Bulletin.pdf
    106.6 KB · Views: 54

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
7:47 PM
Reaction score
In regards to the vibrations many seem to be feeling on their new Grenadiers, it reminded me of having the same thing happen on a couple of my Range Rover
Sports, where I was feeling a vibration at certain rpm’s through my steering wheel.
One was related to the tires/rims needing much better balancing, which was resolved by having the tires/rims balanced on a road force balancer.
The other time, Land Rover decided to eliminate and not install a transfer case damper, which basically looked like a rubber donut on the outside of the transfer case. I had found the Land Rover Technical Bulletin, (LTB00305), on line on a Land Rover Forum, and gave a copy to my service rep. He did not think that was the reason I was experiencing the vibration in the steering wheel, however he ordered one and had it installed. Completely cured the vibration. Please see the link to that bulletin and look at page 2 where they show what the donut looked like. Not sure if either of these are the causes of the vibrations on the Grenadier some are experiencing, however perhaps a good place to start looking. Da Bull

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/MC-10214006-9999.pdf
Weird.... This was posted before anyone in the world had taken delivery of their IG.... So was this pure "bull" from DaBull".......

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
Define "world"....
OOps: I somehow got post date from his "joined" date: My Bad! Of course, there have been deliveried in the UK and EU........
But I jumped when I read "the vibrations many seem to be feeling on their new Grenadiers....": is this a fact, and where was it reported???

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:47 AM
Reaction score
This appears to be a fact noted by some journalists on Feb 8th during the press drive in Scotland.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
OOps: I somehow got post date from his "joined" date: My Bad! Of course, there have been deliveried in the UK and EU........
But I jumped when I read "the vibrations many seem to be feeling on their new Grenadiers....": is this a fact, and where was it reported???
Hi Fidei, I found the mention of vibrations from owners who had taken possession of their vehicles and were reporting their findings under the thread
"So Where Are All Your First Impressions". Check out the following posts under that tread;
Post 215 by Wiaspria
Post 217 by MrJar
Post 229 by grenadier boy.
The vibration issue not stopping me from converting from a reservation holder to placing an order in May in the US. Just would be nice to determine what may be causing it as from previous ownership experience of my Range Rover Sports, it annoyed me on a new vehicle purchase and luckily I found what caused it and got it resolved. Hoping this forum for Grenadiers also finds the cause and the fix for those that might have the issue. Respectfully, Da Bull

Local time
1:47 AM
Reaction score
Some frame designs amplify vibrations at certain frequencies. In my experience is almost always a tire balancing issue which oftentimes is due to a defective one.

Agree on the ladder frame, amplifying/transmitting vibrations.

Disagree on the tires, since it's consistently around 1900rpm. Tire imbalances show at a certain speed, or across the board.

My feeling is that of an issue with the transmission, i.e. mountings & driveshafts. It might settle on a new vehicle after a while.

If not, all nuts and bolts need to be checked, if correctly torqued. Over-/undertightenig would cause vibrations to transmit to the chassis...and further on..

The homokinetic joints on the Grenadier should have eliminated the "old" problem with driveshaft vibrations. G Wagen owners might know about the trouble, getting a perfectly balanced front driveshaft to run w/o vibrations. A 67 degree clockwise offset of the joints is the secret..:).

Provided gearbox and transfercase run smoothly, the vibrations are most likely caused by overtightened mountings or undertightened driveshaft attachments.

Last edited:

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Can anyone advise what other cars built in the last 5 or so years at the $100K+ range has had vibration issues? I have owned a few cars... cannot ever recall vibration issues in any (diesel or pet).

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Has it been considered that the vibrations could be as a result of flat spotted tyres from cars that have been sat for months in a lengthy “batch and hold” procedure?

I visited my local dealer yesterday in the hope to arrange an on road test drive before my car arrives and noticed the two cars they had sat outside (7 more in a gated compound that I couldn’t get in to unless I was willing to do some parkour) both had clear signs of being sat outside for months. Both had chassis numbers in the hundreds. As time goes on, I am more glad that mine is just being built, hopefully it won’t have to sit for ages before delivery and I’ll avoid this enforced deterioration.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:47 AM
Reaction score
As said before the vibration at certain rpm can not be explained by the tyres, as a vibration caused by them would a vibration at a certain tyre rpm = speed.
If the vibration occurs at a specific motor rpm it has to to with some vibration’s caused by the motor I would assume.

MrJAT

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The vibration I have been experiencing (which does seem to be improving as I am running it in) is not a tyre wobble. You can't feel it through the steering wheel. It is clearly the sound of the transmission or something in the drivetrain reaching a resonance frequency and I would describe it as more of a buzzing noise.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Noted. It was an optimistic explanation based on no experience of the vibration.

Reactions: PBD

MRO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Can anyone advise what other cars built in the last 5 or so years at the $100K+ range has had vibration issues? I have owned a few cars... cannot ever recall vibration issues in any (diesel or pet).
Yes. My Audi S8 has noticeable vibration at 1k and 3k. I believe they all have and it is due to one of the down pipes resonating at those frequencies. It is easily fixable by getting a flex coupler upgrade but once you know it isn’t doing any harm and very little time is spent at those RPM, why bother.

Probably something similar on the IG.

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:47 AM
Reaction score
All these vibration issues, are they diesel or petrol related. Different engine and different transmission, yet absolutely nobody mentions which engine they are running. I hope it is the diesel, coz I’m getting the petrol.

It would be helpful for diagnosis, if the running gear was mentioned for all problems.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
All these vibration issues, are they diesel or petrol related. Different engine and different transmission, yet absolutely nobody mentions which engine they are running. I hope it is the diesel, coz I’m getting the petrol.

It would be helpful for diagnosis, if the running gear was mentioned for all problems.
I seem to remember the journalists spotted the anomaly on diesel variants. Sticks in my mind because I ordered diesel.

MrJAT

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Sorry Dave, Diesel

Back
Top Bottom