The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Vibrations at certain RPM

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:53 AM
Reaction score
I assume Diesel. Is it something you've taken up with Ineos and if so what have they said? I'm expecting delivery of a diesel next month and hence the concern. is it getting any better?
Yep diesel, I think it is either a piece of the heat shielding in the engine bay, or a bit of shielding that is too close to another fixture.
Ive done over 300 miles now and it is gradually getting worse, 1500 to2000+ revs under drive, does not do it if you rev it standing still.
Must be some thing that only touches when in drive and under torque.
Lost count of the different warnings it shows, waiting for the one that says "Had enough yet fatty"!

Gwynne

Forum Donor
Local time
11:53 PM
Reaction score
Yep diesel, I think it is either a piece of the heat shielding in the engine bay, or a bit of shielding that is too close to another fixture.
Ive done over 300 miles now and it is gradually getting worse, 1500 to2000+ revs under drive, does not do it if you rev it standing still.
Sorry to hear that. What do Ineos say and what are you or they going to do about it. Hope you get it resolved and please do share an update

MrJAT

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I assume Diesel. Is it something you've taken up with Ineos and if so what have they said? I'm expecting delivery of a diesel next month and hence the concern. is it getting any better?
Mine is Diesel. I mentioned it to my dealer who says he experienced the same on his demo but that his has now done 700m and is now less noticeable. I have now done 500m and it is definitely better but also definitely still there, especially when engine cold. I am delighted with the vehicle but would love this to improve/be improved but happy to bide my time to see if it gets better, how many vehicles are affected, if there is a fix, or if it is what it is.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:53 AM
Reaction score
My TD5 has the problem that around 2000 rpm there are no vibration. Help is welcome. Don’t know whether the car is to rescue at all. Maybe I have to wreck it 😢
Over and under 2000 rpm lots of vibration and Klangs and klongs.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has all the underbody insulation been ruled out?

There's quite a lot of it, and it looks like there's plenty of opportunity for sections to move/ vibrate.

View attachment 7810937
Think you may be on to something here mate. I really does sound to me like a heat shield kind of noise, hard to identify exact location but it could be just towards the cat area.

Geordie Hillbilly

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Same here on the vibration, its only slight but you feel it through "the car" rather than just he steering wheel.

I had a similar problem on my Discovery 2's and it was linked to the prop shafts, not sure if this would be the same?

I'm building up a bit of a list for when it goes back in for the side steps:

Vibration
Few minor warning lights that seem to have disappeared in fairness
Steering wheel not centred when driving in straight line
Heating does not work if set on "Auto"
DAB reception is poor

Apart from the list above, I'm loving it! Road manners are brilliant, suspension set up is good and the left footrest does not bother me at all! Just need a decent sub woofer to get the sounds right.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I think it is either a piece of the heat shielding in the engine bay, or a bit of shielding that is too close to another fixture.
I think there is a difference between feeling a vibration or just hearing it. Feel requires a larger, participating mass which excludes something light like a heatshield imho.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
My TD5 has the problem that around 2000 rpm there are no vibration. Help is welcome. Don’t know whether the car is to rescue at all. Maybe I have to wreck it 😢
Over and under 2000 rpm lots of vibration and Klangs and klongs.
So the recipe is not to drive over or under 2000 rpm but exactly at 2000 rpm.

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
The surface rust on my Fiat has eaten away half the vehicle.
Said every Fiat owner ever.
They already rust in the brochures.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Have we now made it from heatshield vibrations to death wobble ... ? 🤔

MacBlooby

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:53 PM
Reaction score
Noted vibrations on way home from picking up vehicle yesterday over very mixed roads in the highlands. Did think balancing as obvious cause at about 60mph but not always, seems to come from transmission and drive train. Can feel thru steering and brake pedal more, as this was 3 hours test drive home think I overthought every scenario and heard and felt things that did not exist, convinced mix of 1 wheel balance at front, already got loads of weights added and prop shaft type unbalance at certain revs. does ride pot holes well however, but given state of roads wont be long before more wheels will be out of balance anyway. Reminds me when we used to put the kids in the boot to listen to banging and thumps that always turned out to be the exhaust rubbers split. yes some messages on dash as others , hope to check out vibrations again tomorrow with clear head.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Vibrations in mine are missing - does anyone know the part number(s)?

Seriously, all I think I could get was some slight "tizz" when accelerating at certain speeds which could be a slightly loose panel somewhere but impossible to diagnose without deploying the small children as mentioned above.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A left field thought - have a look at the main acoustic cover on the top of the engine. I was messing about today and you can put it back on and it looks right, but actually the back left side sits lower than the rest by a good margin - so when it looks wrong, it's right!

If you feel around the edge with your fingers and apply a small upwards pressure, any noticeable movement will mean that ball hasn't located in the socket::
WP_20230517_089.jpg

Back
Top Bottom