The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Vibrations at certain RPM

MunichMax

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:03 PM
Reaction score
Have the same issue. I tested several things and think it is produced by the drivetrain.
With my IG it only occurs inbetween 1850 and 2000 rpm and under load. If I go off the gas, it stops immediately.
Sadly the rpm range is reached If I drive something around 103 to 109 km/h in 8 gear, which is very very often in Germany...

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:03 PM
Reaction score
Have the same issue. I tested several things and think it is produced by the drivetrain.
With my IG it only occurs inbetween 1850 and 2000 rpm and under load. If I go off the gas, it stops immediately.
Sadly the rpm range is reached If I drive something around 103 to 109 km/h in 8 gear, which is very very often in Germany...
103 to 109 km is the range for us in SEQLD on the M1 - that is the perfect sweet spot for these vibrations. The question is why many do so have it and what fault IA/Dealers have told us is the cause. It should be known by now exactly how to fix this. Is it noticeable vibration through the vehicle of a rattle and can only be heard?

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:03 PM
Reaction score
103 to 109 km is the range for us in SEQLD on the M1 - that is the perfect sweet spot for these vibrations. The question is why many do so have it and what fault IA/Dealers have told us is the cause. It should be known by now exactly how to fix this. Is it noticeable vibration through the vehicle of a rattle and can only be heard?
I feel the vibrations that come up at the natural frequency of the drive. I quickly stopped the rattling. You have to bend the sheet metal on the underbody a bit.
Just today I paid special attention to the speed range 1800-1900 rpm. I can say that in the meantime I have 7000 km on the clock and the noticeable vibrations have improved considerably.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:03 AM
Reaction score
I have had vibration from the moment I drove away from the agent.

After 1,200km it's still there and it is NOT being caused by metal touching - it is coming from/through the drivetrain.

At idle, in gear, and when accelerating, just before a gear change, there is noticable transmission vibration.

I can feel vibration by holding the steering wheel, resting my elbow on the door sill, faintly through the seat.

At idle and revving the engine in neutral - no vibration.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have had vibration from the moment I drove away from the agent.

After 1,200km it's still there and it is NOT being caused by metal touching - it is coming from/through the drivetrain.

At idle, in gear, and when accelerating, just before a gear change, there is noticable transmission vibration.

I can feel vibration by holding the steering wheel, resting my elbow on the door sill, faintly through the seat.

At idle and revving the engine in neutral - no vibration.
I think I will take mine for a good test drive before I take it from the dealer.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think I will take mine for a good test drive before I take it from the dealer.
That was my plan but I got overtaken by "events".

Driving home I thought - well the engine/transmission only has 40km on it - it will "loosen-up" soon enough.........

After 1 week took it to the closest agent. Their technician said........."Could be overtorqued engine/transmission mounts"

It's No. 1 on my list when I am back at my agent

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Two thoughts about that.
Such vibration can source from the drive shaft and its universal joints and the angle they are at.

We got such things fixed by using a spacer betewnn the univeral joint and the flange of the differential at other cars.
Another thing worth a try is to check if the drive shaft is still balanced or not ( anymore).

AWo

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Two thoughts about that.
Such vibration can source from the drive shaft and its universal joints and the angle they are at.

We got such things fixed by using a spacer betewnn the univeral joint and the flange of the differential at other cars.
Another thing worth a try is to check if the drive shaft is still balanced or not ( anymore).

AWo
Thanks Awo.

When the Grenadier is up on the lift - I will ask them to look at this as well.

Ripnz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:03 PM
Reaction score
Same here also. Diesel Trialmaster. As others have described occurs at about 1800-1900 RPM. Equated to 103 km/h in 8th gear. Felt through steering wheel and pedals, can also be heard easily.

Went for a 800km drive today to see if the vehicle 'break-in' would sort it, but no improvement, if anything the vibration occurs through a slightly larger rev range.

Also have the wet foot issue, and an intermittent 'Cooling Fan Error'. I'll be sending an email to the dealer tonight to begin an evidential paper trail.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Same here also. Diesel Trialmaster. As others have described occurs at about 1800-1900 RPM. Equated to 103 km/h in 8th gear. Felt through steering wheel and pedals, can also be heard easily.

Went for a 800km drive today to see if the vehicle 'break-in' would sort it, but no improvement, if anything the vibration occurs through a slightly larger rev range.

Also have the wet foot issue, and an intermittent 'Cooling Fan Error'. I'll be sending an email to the dealer tonight to begin an evidential paper trail.
800 or 80?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I'm wondering whether it's possibly a case of a batch of "out of round" KO2 tyres?or poor dynamic balance. I recently completed about 3,500km on smooth motorway Trialmaster diesel/ steel wheels and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of expected vibration.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I feel the vibrations that come up at the natural frequency of the drive. I quickly stopped the rattling. You have to bend the sheet metal on the underbody a bit.
Just today I paid special attention to the speed range 1800-1900 rpm. I can say that in the meantime I have 7000 km on the clock and the noticeable vibrations have improved considerably.
Can you please post pictures and @AWo you too - where you applied the spacers?

If my car once its there - has the same topic I will talk to K&E and the overtorqued drivetrain topic to..
Address the issues as soon as possible...

Btw - no news to my car yet. - Still "in production" and Sep 30 is close.

Pat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Same here. I have bend the heat protection around the muffler and it helped a lot - not gone totally away but improved significantly - may I need to work on it again. IMHO it is the heat protection starting to oscillate and then transmitting the oscillations to the rear skid plate. I could hear it once in a tunnel running at constant speed around 1900rpm. Just try. Or may the rear skid plate needs some additional o-rings (rubber) on the mounting points.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Can you please post pictures and @AWo you too - where you applied the spacers?

If my car once its there - has the same topic I will talk to K&E and the overtorqued drivetrain topic to..
Address the issues as soon as possible...

The spacer was placed between the flange of the front differential and the drive shaft. But, that was done because of vibrations caused by a lift of the suspension. The IG should not have vibrations if it was not modified. I would check the balance of the drive shaft (also to proof against Ineos that there might be a fault) or replace it at all.

I first need to get to the car to take a better picture. For now I can only provide this one:

20230415_131146.jpg2023-09-26_16h05_17.jpg

AWo

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Don't trust that.

Today I was at Krah and Enders because my car is getting the update, sidesteps and some other measures.

In my conversation with Mr. Crepaldi, he told me that he believes my second car was already parked outside. I didn't double check it because I didn't have the time.

But it may well be that your car is already there.

Maxwell

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Don't trust that.

Today I was at Krah and Enders because my car is getting the update, sidesteps and some other measures.

In my conversation with Mr. Crepaldi, he told me that he believes my second car was already parked outside. I didn't double check it because I didn't have the time.

It might be there. Hope it won‘t be such a lemon as the car produced for me. It has now been sitting in Cologne for more than half a year. No delivery date given so far. I am really loosing my faith.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Don't trust that.

Thank you! Just wrote an email to Mr Anselment. Tomorrow I have to go to Hanau perhaps I drop in at K&E on my way home

Tanters

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:03 PM
Reaction score
Sent an email to my dealer on this very issue (plus couple other little niggles) today. I did wonder if it is a heat shield or something loose. Appreciate that there’s a tip in the thread to sort it 👍 but going to wait to get ‘official’ response on obviously known issue and see how they respond ….. a test of sorts 😉

Back
Top Bottom