The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Vibrations at certain RPM

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:23 AM
Reaction score
Which ones Dave? I mean I get vibrations at 500rpm when I'm not giving it enough in the manual Triton off the line but at speed of any kind I've never felt this in the 6 or so cars I've driven recently.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I get a bad vibration at around 2300 rpm in my work mercedes sprinter tipper. It's annoying on the motorway as in 6th gear 2300 is about 60mph.. the speed I want to be sitting at

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It is clearly the sound of the transmission or something in the drivetrain reaching a resonance frequency and I would describe it as more of a buzzing noise.
Has all the underbody insulation been ruled out?

There's quite a lot of it, and it looks like there's plenty of opportunity for sections to move/ vibrate.

FB_IMG_1662703475375.jpg

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You asked "can anyone advise"
My answer was yes.
Anyone can advise.
I asked what other cars Dave - you read-only read half of something. Too cute with words? Another was happy to note his R8 had vibrations - which is useful being a European vehicle... just saying.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I get a bad vibration at around 2300 rpm in my work mercedes sprinter tipper. It's annoying on the motorway as in 6th gear 2300 is about 60mph.. the speed I want to be sitting at
You see this is what I am trying to see if maybe a problem exists at speeds people routinely sit at... if something is vibrating at 100kmh then that would be a problem!!! Maybe it's just a running in issue.

Reactions: PBD

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:23 PM
Reaction score
I asked what other cars Dave - you read-only read half of something. Too cute with words? Another was happy to note his R8 had vibrations - which is useful being a European vehicle... just saying.
Yes but you have asked a question with a million possible answers.
Can anyone advise what other cars built in the last 5 or so years at the $100K+ range has had vibration issues?
Can
any of the 2,000 odd members on the forum advise of something that they don't even need to have experienced first hand.
They just need to have heard about it or read about it.
So if 500 members have read about a Nissan Fairlady with a vibration problem, does that mean 500 vehicles had a problem?
We seem to have 10-20 members who have a problem, so it could be restricted to certain vehicles, or it could just be one person and then other people really listening hard for a similar problem.
One person couldn't engage the diffs while sitting in the dealer showroom. It clearly says you need to be moving to engage them, were they moving? If so this an actual problem? If not then it isn't.
We are assuming that every person who has received a vehicle is on this forum. Why wouldn't they be?
Possibly only 10% are, and only 10% of them have a problem.
We have people who ordered painted steel rims and they have some surface rust.
They are not galvanised, they are painted.
Wheel nuts are also not stainless steel, they will get surface rust.
There are also vehicles that are just plagued with issues because one issue leads to another and so on.
I feel for them and feel bad that I hope it doesn't happen to me.

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
3:23 AM
Reaction score
A few obvious questions to those owners with "vibration" issues:
1) at what speed (and/or engine revs and gear) does the vibration occur?
2) have you brought it to the attention of your dealer and got any comments from them?
3) have the tyres been dynamically balanced to see if this is a problem?

And for other owners: no vibrations??

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Mine does have a vibration somewhere in the engine bay at 1500 to 1600 rpm as it goes through the gears. Same cold or hot.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The surface rust on my Fiat has eaten away half the vehicle.
Said every Fiat owner ever.
If you know the story , this was only an issue with the Russian steel ones. My '64 sat in a carport on a farm for 30 years and was/is still pretty much rust free, The steel is thick and strong, most unlike any modern car.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The surface rust on my Fiat has eaten away half the vehicle.
Said every Fiat owner ever.
That applies to a lot of Landcruiser owners in the U.K. too. Before finally deciding on the Grenadier I was checking out circa 20yr old Landcruiser’s for potential overland build. Most were rotten with rust.

Local time
Reaction score
In regards to the vibrations many seem to be feeling on their new Grenadiers, it reminded me of having the same thing happen on a couple of my Range Rover
Sports, where I was feeling a vibration at certain rpm’s through my steering wheel.
One was related to the tires/rims needing much better balancing, which was resolved by having the tires/rims balanced on a road force balancer.
The other time, Land Rover decided to eliminate and not install a transfer case damper, which basically looked like a rubber donut on the outside of the transfer case. I had found the Land Rover Technical Bulletin, (LTB00305), on line on a Land Rover Forum, and gave a copy to my service rep. He did not think that was the reason I was experiencing the vibration in the steering wheel, however he ordered one and had it installed. Completely cured the vibration. Please see the link to that bulletin and look at page 2 where they show what the donut looked like. Not sure if either of these are the causes of the vibrations on the Grenadier some are experiencing, however perhaps a good place to start looking. Da Bull

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/MC-10214006-9999.pdf

i had it happen as well. it was a gen 1sh rr that i bought in the 90's.

i don't know what caused it. i do know that it felt unsafe going around 65. not to mention all the road wandering it had. these were pretty shitty vehicles. i sold it because i thought was going to die driving it.

AWo

Local time
9:23 AM
Reaction score
If you know the story , this was only an issue with the Russian steel ones.
And for the Alfasud, where the unprotected unpainted chassis (russion steel and non russion steel) was moved between the buildings, near the seaside and when the workers council called for a workout they were sometimes left outside for a few days. After that they brought them to the paintshop to conserve the drama.

AWo

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
i had it happen as well. it was a gen 1sh rr that i bought in the 90's.

i don't know what caused it. i do know that it felt unsafe going around 65. not to mention all the road wandering it had. these were pretty shitty vehicles. i sold it because i thought was going to die driving it.
Bushes.
Suspension
Wheel balance and alignment
Bearings
lack of maintenance.

Local time
Reaction score
Bushes.
Suspension
Wheel balance and alignment
Bearings
lack of maintenance.

it had so many problems. that's why i got it on the cheap. i made some fixes (including new tires) to it but it was a money pit and the joys were never worth he cost of it. once the tinkering phase starting adding up.

uk parts were lol poor quality and super expensive at he same time. i never did find where the mysterious oil leak was coming from. i do know that my set of pirelli scorpions were complete dogshit as well.

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just a heads up that we have started a poll for people who have taken delivery to record how their vehicle is in a general sense. Hopefully we can get everyone who has taken delivery to respond so we get a clearer picture of how many vehicles have issues and how major or minor they are. The poll is ongoing so people can continue to respond as they receive their vehicles into the future.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I can confirm that my 05/06 V6 Triton ute, has a hum that cycles up and down about everyone .6 seconds at 1250rpm, in 1st gear maintaining slow speed crawl... manual. Tested all gears for giggles. Grenadier won't be any worse 🤭

Gwynne

Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Mine does have a vibration somewhere in the engine bay at 1500 to 1600 rpm as it goes through the gears. Same cold or hot.
I assume Diesel. Is it something you've taken up with Ineos and if so what have they said? I'm expecting delivery of a diesel next month and hence the concern. is it getting any better?

Reactions: PBD
Back
Top Bottom