The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

URBAN "Black Shadow" Side Steps

Local time
12:39 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone mounted the URBAN "Black Shadow" side steps on their Grenadier? If so, how do you like them?
My Trialmaster will be here in a couple weeks and they appear to be the best option currently available.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:39 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone mounted the URBAN "Black Shadow" side steps on their Grenadier? If so, how do you like them?
My Trialmaster will be here in a couple weeks and they appear to be the best option currently available.
Tbh, for a “sidestep” I think it’s hard to go past the INEOS one. They are extremely robust and a a good height etc. I would only be tempted to change to a real rockslider that incorporates a step, and I don’t think the urban one’s actually are a proper slider, as far as I can see they don’t cliam that they are.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Tbh, for a “sidestep” I think it’s hard to go past the INEOS one. They are extremely robust and a a good height etc. I would only be tempted to change to a real rockslider that incorporates a step, and I don’t think the urban one’s actually are a proper slider, as far as I can see they don’t cliam that they are.
From what I've seen the finish comes off pretty easily and they start to corrode.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
From what I've seen the finish comes off pretty easily and they start to corrode.
The ones that have had that happen have been subject to thousands of kms of dirt roads with constant sandblasting, any finish is going to have trouble with that and any non stainless steel will get surface corrosion if exposed, they are made of a fairly high grade construction steel and surface corrosion will take a very long time to be a significant issue. I will keep an eye on mine and if necessary will give them a sand ocassionally and recoat, possibly with a raptor style finish.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The ones that have had that happen have been subject to thousands of kms of dirt roads with constant sandblasting, any finish is going to have trouble with that and any non stainless steel will get surface corrosion if exposed, they are made of a fairly high grade construction steel and surface corrosion will take a very long time to be a significant issue. I will keep an eye on mine and if necessary will give them a sand ocassionally and recoat, possibly with a raptor style finish.
Agreed. @FlyingTexan might be referring to John Canny's post-trip video. The passivated and powder coated ARB side steps on my DMax gets the same erosion damage driving on outback roads. It's like spending a few days in a sand blaster. Post trip maintenance takes care of it. John Canny was suggesting it was because of the country of manufacture. That could be a factor, but only if Ineos under-specified the materials and coatings.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:39 AM
Reaction score
Hi FourLew2, Urban now has two versions of their side step.
A 2-tube Version, which Version One and a Single tube Version, which is called Version 2.
Both are side steps and not rock sliders. Both are available.

Here's the info I received from them about the Single Tube Version, which is Version 2.
The single tube version has a higher ground clearance then the 2-tube version.
The single tube version, known as Version 2, has 3" diameter tubing and a step width of 3 1/2" and the height from the ground to the top of the step is 14.96". Here's a link to it. DaBull
https://houseofurban.co.uk/products...s-ineos-grenadier?_pos=1&_sid=b31b3f235&_ss=r

Here's a link to their two tube version, which is Version 1.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Agreed. @FlyingTexan might be referring to John Canny's post-trip video. The passivated and powder coated ARB side steps on my DMax gets the same erosion damage driving on outback roads. It's like spending a few days in a sand blaster. Post trip maintenance takes care of it. John Canny was suggesting it was because of the country of manufacture. That could be a factor, but only if Ineos under-specified the materials and coatings.
Someone posted the grade of steel and it is a pretty robust steel.

Tarheel

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They look good. They appear to sit higher then the factory ones....can anyone confirm?

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:39 PM
Reaction score
Was there any issues/difficulty with the install?
I made the mistake to fix to much the rear connector before getting the front bolds in. But this was quick solved.
I just took me two boxes to get him already at the exact height underneat the car. getting the two front bolds loose in a few turns, and than the back. Than fix everything. I think I install both side in 1/2 hour on my own. So no big problems.

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:39 PM
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_3834.jpeg
    IMG_3834.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3835.jpeg
    IMG_3835.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 55