The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Australasia Electric Side Steps

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:10 PM
Reaction score
I like the look of these side steps.

I don't need rock sliders and don't like the Ineos offer as they sit too low. These seem to be reasonably priced @ USD450 + freight and other makes available in Australia sell north of 2K. I'm sure somebody will eventually make some and charge a hefty premium.

At this point it's probably still a little risky but one than I am prepared to take. Anyone else in Australia interested in joining a group buy of 10? ( 9 more takers needed)

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:10 AM
Reaction score
They will ship you one. I ordered one, just arrived yesterday. Will install them this week. They now have three motors a side, instead of the original two.
Thank you for being the first. Your documentation on the install will be welcomed on the forum :)

Are you replacing factory side runners / rock sliders?

SandyChamois

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you for being the first. Your documentation on the install will be welcomed on the forum :)

Are you replacing factory side runners / rock sliders?
I am replacing Urban Black Shadow side steps. (Which I will sell for cheap if these new steps work fine)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 139

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great. I may do the same. Impressions of the parts quality? Do they plug into the OBD2 port for open/close signals

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
They will ship you one. I ordered one, just arrived yesterday. Will install them this week. They now have three motors a side, instead of the original two.
Yes, I know they will ship one but was trying to keep the cost down - there's about USD300 difference between one and 10. Looking forward to your install write up and impressions.

Did you not like the Urban Black Shadow side steps?

SandyChamois

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Great. I may do the same. Impressions of the parts quality? Do they plug into the OBD2 port for open/close signals
Yes, it plugs in to OBD2 port. The kit comes with a manual/schematic. Although, it was not updated for the third motor. Will have to figure that out as I get it installed

SandyChamois

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, I know they will ship one but was trying to keep the cost down - there's about USD300 difference between one and 10. Looking forward to your install write up and impressions.

Did you not like the Urban Black Shadow side steps?
The Urban steps are adequate, I feel they aren’t low enough, nor stick out far enough to give a good step to climb in. They were reasonably priced, at $800 shipped, I figured eventually I would want retractable side steps once they became available. Will see how it goes when I get them on.

Aussie Battler

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I don't need rock sliders and don't like the Ineos offer as they sit too low. These seem to be reasonably priced @ USD450 + freight and other makes available in Australia sell north of 2K. I'm sure somebody will eventually make some and charge a hefty premium.

At this point it's probably still a little risky but one than I am prepared to take. Anyone else in Australia interested in joining a group buy of 10? ( 9 more takers needed)
I am interested but have a few concerns , I would like to see one operating first and know that they are sturdy enough and up to the task and the fact that they may operate via the OBD2 port gives me great concern,as the OBD is directly conected to the ECU what would happen to the vehicle electronis if the was a malfunction with the steps , how would this effect your warranty by plugging something into the port that does not really belong ?

SandyChamois

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
IMG_0099.jpeg
IMG_0100.jpeg

IMG_0104.jpegOK, got them installed. They work fine, step is lower and easier to climb in to seat now. Wiring harness threaded behind ODB port, well concealed. The motors are reasonably tucked under. This is not an easy install and the supplied instruction manual is very rudimentary, they need to improve that. Overall am please with how it turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_0103.jpeg
    IMG_0103.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 96

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think I may be sold on these. They look good. You did a great job - these look factory and do not seem to hang very low when closed.

A few questions if would be so kind:

What made the install difficult in particular?
Do the materials and motor seem to be of reasonable quality?
How solid are the side steps once mounted? Do they flex at all when you stand on them? It seems for the rear door you need to step on the overhang of the side step...
How long did it take you to install?
Did you have to dismantle any exterior trim?
Where the brackets bolt-on, or did you need to make any modifications like creating new holes in the frame / tapping them?
Did you tap the OBD2 wire harness or did they give you a plug that plugs into the OBD2 port interface (looks like you had to tap the wire harness)
Do the motors seem to be well protected from water intrusion?

Thank you!

Peter

Last edited:

SandyChamois

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think I may be sold on these. They look good. You did a great job - these look factory and do not seem to hang very low when closed.

A few questions if would be so kind:

What made the install difficult in particular?
Do the materials and motor seem to be of reasonable quality?
How solid are the side steps once mounted? Do they flex at all when you stand on them? It seems for the rear door you need to step on the overhang of the side step...
How long did it take you to install?
Did you have to dismantle any exterior trim?
Where the brackets bolt-on, or did you need to make any modifications like creating new holes in the frame / tapping them?
Did you tap the OBD2 wire harness or did they give you a plug that plugs into the OBD2 port interface (looks like you had to tap the wire harness)
Do the motors seem to be well protected from water intrusion?

Thank you!

Peter
Sure:
The instruction manual is really bad, it looks like they whipped up on a 20 year old computer in 30 minutes. They just finished producing these, I believe I am one of these first customers for these steps from them. They originally only had two motors, they added a third after it was bouncy they said. The motors needed shims to get them to line up even and rubber grommets were added also. The plastic rocker panel trim piece needed to be removed and cut slightly to fit the motors. It does not plug in to the OBD2 port itself, it was tapped in the wiring. The 4th picture above you can see the red connectors behind the port. It took a good 5 hours. The. Steps are not bouncy, but do have a bit of flex when you put weight on them. They are not as stiff as the Urban Black Shadow fixed steps. The parts seemed to be of good quality. Obviously, this company does not provide much support if there are problems so keep that in mind. They are reasonably priced, it was $1200 all in including shipping to East Coast by air (3-5 days)

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Oh one other question - how did these bolt on and where did you have to apply the shims?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
So what is the offset and height compared to the factory ones?

SandyChamois

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So what is the offset and height compared to the factory ones?
I never had factory steps, so do not know. Compared to the Urban Black Shadow steps I replaced, these obviously are more offset and lower when opened than the fixed steps. When closed, the clearance is now 14”

Aussie Battler

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I am in they look part of the vehicle

Back
Top Bottom