The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

New Owl Side Steps in Development (want your thoughts)

Borg54

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:33 PM
Reaction score
Hey All,

We (Owl) are working on some new side steps for the Grenadier. In the Sprinter world, we are OEM to Mercedes Benz, Airstream, and Storyteller Overland. We are making a version of our side steps for the Grenadier and wanted to get some feedback.

Details:
  • Steel - powder-coated black
  • Can be used to jack up the vehicle
  • Bolts to frame

image (1).png
image (2).png

Our side steps for Sprinter so you can get an idea of the finished look
HM1A0906.JPG

Thanks for any feedback,
John

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'd prefer the kick out at the back. I don't use a step to get in and out so the wider a step is the more likely it is to just get my pants dirty. Also the kick out acts to push the body away from an obstacle as you move forward. Your design lets the rear get closer to danger as you navigate by.

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Hi John,

I've got your steps on my Sprinter. A bit wider than I care for but I still like them. If these are to be actual sliders, then lose the forward wider step and go with a straight continuous platform like the back end shown. If using steel, then you don't need that fat inner tube. Maybe a smaller diameter or use rectangular tubing, my preference, and bring it in closer to the vehicle.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:33 AM
Reaction score
Hey All,

We (Owl) are working on some new side steps for the Grenadier. In the Sprinter world, we are OEM to Mercedes Benz, Airstream, and Storyteller Overland. We are making a version of our side steps for the Grenadier and wanted to get some feedback.

Details:
  • Bolts to frame

View attachment 7845721
View attachment 7845722

View attachment 7845723

Thanks for any feedback,
John
Please check your DM

holdmybeer

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looks nice. I like all the drainage and relatively low-key branding.

Can there be a mount point for the factory side brush bars? i.e. what I assume the factory side steps and/or sliders have)

I think someone on the forum here was trying to use an aftermarket step (LeTech maybe) with the side brush bars and it lacked a connection point.

1708983525808.png

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey All,

Details:
  • Bolts to frame

View attachment 7845721
View attachment 7845722

Thanks for any feedback,
John
Hi Borg54, Are these side steps or rock sliders or both?
Thanks, DaBull

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Personally, from heavy usage of sliders on previous vehicles my thoughts/requirements for consideration:
  • Single tube that runs back to a substantial rear kick out; if these are to be sliders then they won't be great steps, if they are to be steps, they won't be great sliders
  • Have the fill plates be optional
  • List the wall thickness

RobS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@Borg54 Let me start by saying that I love the look of your design. They are awesome. What would work for me would be a slider step that is the same width from front to back. If the structural integrity of your design relies on one of the sections being wider than the other than I would prefer to have the wider part in the back.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I like them. Most of my wheeling isn't super technical boulder crawling so these would probably work great for me.

Asjtex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:33 AM
Reaction score
Hey All,

Details:
  • Bolts to frame

View attachment 7845721
View attachment 7845722

View attachment 7845723

Thanks for any feedback,
John
Hey Borg, I like the weight and tubing. I would prefer one continuous step as opposed to graduated towards the rear. I also prefer the width in the back. I don’t need a lot of depth to climb in. How low (in inches) would they hang?

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Off topic, but I noticed OWL has a magnetic MaxTrax mount shown on the side of a van. @Borg54 have you tried this on the roof of the Grenadier for those of us unfortunate enough to have garage height restrictions? Being able to toss them up there before heading out and then removing them when you get home would be nice.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Off topic, but I noticed OWL has a magnetic MaxTrax mount shown on the side of a van. @Borg54 have you tried this on the roof of the Grenadier for those of us unfortunate enough to have garage height restrictions? Being able to toss them up there before heading out and then removing them when you get home would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom