The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Unused electrical connector (rear right)

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:08 PM
Reaction score
Have a rattling noise in the back of the car since some weeks. Therefore I dismounted my right rear trim this afternoon, to see if something behind it is loose. Had not done it before.

Anyone knows what this connector is for? (unused, 1.7 volts fluctuating when contact off, and 2.0 volts, fluctuating when motor running):
20231009_172927 what is this.jpg

The only thing that was loose was the cable powering the Albright relay (for powering the NATO plug):
20231009_173140 loose.jpg
You can notice the loose clip. there is hole where you can plug it in (not visible, I did it by feeling)

But this wasn't the cause of the rattling.
I think it is the other (left) side panel, where I broke two clips some months ago while dismounting, but not sure yet.

Reactions: PBD

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:08 PM
Reaction score
Hi Jean. Firstly, thank you for the wealth of information you have contributed to this forum.
It looks like you have the towing option? On my vehicle most of the towbar wiring harness connects at the larger connector above. Pin 9 is supplied by a single 2.5mm green/purple 12v supply from the connector you have marked. I cannot recall if it is live 12v or ignition switched, probably the latter.

Attachments

• PXL_20230812_054250570.jpg
    PXL_20230812_054250570.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 96
  • PXL_20230813_004038146.jpg
    PXL_20230813_004038146.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 99

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Jean. Firstly, thank you for the wealth of information you have contributed to this forum.
It looks like you have the towing option? On my vehicle most of the towbar wiring harness connects at the larger connector above. Pin 9 is supplied by a single 2.5mm green/purple 12v supply from the connector you have marked. I cannot recall if it is live 12v or ignition switched, probably the latter.
Haha, thanks for the explanation.
No, I don't have the towing option!
That is why you have much more wires coming out of the bigger connector.
That seems indeed to be the purpose of the single wire connector. But even with ignition on I had only some 2 Volt on it!

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
Haha, thanks for the explanation.
No, I don't have the towing option!
That is why you have much more wires coming out of the bigger connector.
That seems indeed to be the purpose of the single wire connector. But even with ignition on I had only some 2 Volt on it!
What is connected to the battery cables in the photos?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What is connected to the battery cables in the photos?
as @DaBull explained, and for those who are less "electricity minded", here how it works:
20231009_173140 Albright Relay.jpg

When motor runs, a tension is applied (most probably 12V, low current) to the black and green wire of the "Albright" relay. Therefore the switch inside the black box closes (red lines), and 12V is passed through from the red battery cable to the red/black NATO plug cable.

If I forgot something, please correct me.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:08 AM
Reaction score
Have a rattling noise in the back of the car since some weeks. Therefore I dismounted my right rear trim this afternoon, to see if something behind it is loose. Had not done it before.

Anyone knows what this connector is for? (unused, 1.7 volts fluctuating when contact off, and 2.0 volts, fluctuating when motor running):
View attachment 7829226
Is that connector into the CANBUS circuit??

AWo

Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7829226

The only thing that was loose was the cable powering the Albright relay (for powering the NATO plug):
View attachment 7829227
You can notice the loose clip. there is hole where you can plug it in (not visible, I did it by feeling)

But this wasn't the cause of the rattling.
I think it is the other (left) side panel, where I broke two clips some months ago while dismounting, but not sure yet.

You'd better bought the Grenadier as a CKD-Kit.... :LOL:

AWo

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Euh, I don't understand your question :unsure:

You should know I hate abbreviations :mad:;)
CKD = Completely knocked down - These are car kits send from the manufacturer to companies who put all together and sell it. Land Rover used to send CKDs to Turkey to get them build together and sold there.

I.t.o.k.f.y.?

AWo

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
And for the interest of this forum, I could make a picture of the label of the module behind the trim of the rear seat belt right side:
20231009_172927 Helbako Fuel Control Unit.jpg
According to internet:

2019-2021 BMW G07 X7 Fuel Control Unit Helbako FPC High​

Local time
Reaction score
Sounds more like "floating voltage" being induced in the cable, rather than a purposeful "here is a 2V supply". It's such a strange value ...
Is it a pull up or pull down voltage due to that cable being connected to a module or ECU at the other end?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Euh, I don't understand your question :unsure:
Since you have a petrol version I was wondering if it was the controller for the Adblue system and the on screen monitoring of the Adblue warning level.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Since you have a petrol version I was wondering if it was the controller for the Adblue system and the on screen monitoring of the Adblue warning level.
Ah, I see, this could indeed have been an explanation. But according to the other answers it is related to towing :)

Mr. Largo WINCH

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Bonjour à tous
Moteur éteint, j'ai mesuré la tension sur l'arrivée identifiée 12V sur la photo de l'installation sous le cache Arrière droit dans le coffre.
12,57 Volts - Moteur coupé
14,16 Volts - Moteur en fonctionnement.

En revanche, je n'ai pas de tension sur la prise OTAN (capuchon vert à l'arrière).

1697007872809.png

J'ai essayé avec PWR sur On et EXT4 sur On.
Toujours pas de tension sur la prise OTAN à l'arrière.

Est-ce quelequ'un sait ce qu'il faut faire pour que la prise OTAN soit alimentée ?
Merci de vos retours.

1697008221618.png
1697008372919.png

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Bonjour à tous
Moteur éteint, j'ai mesuré la tension sur l'arrivée identifiée 12V sur la photo de l'installation sous le cache Arrière droit dans le coffre.
12,57 Volts - Moteur coupé
14,16 Volts - Moteur en fonctionnement.

En
View attachment 7829355
To be honest, I didn’t check if there was tension on the NATO plug.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:08 PM
Reaction score
Hi. Sorry, I can only respond in English 🙏.

No power at the NATO socket is a known fault if you do not have the front winch option on your vehicle. This may be fixed in the current software update to version 1946. I'm not sure about that though.
While you're waiting for a fix from Ineos you have two choices to get power to the NATO Socket:

1. Move the large red cable from the right terminal of the relay (called an Albright solenoid) to the left terminal so both red cables are stacked onto the left terminal. This will bypass the Albright solenoid so the NATO socket is live all the time. There is no risk of draining your battery unless you leave a load plugged in for a long time and the engine is not running. Disconnect your battery or batteries before doing this because the left solenoid terminal is live as you have measured.

2. Follow these instructions to connect an ignition switched 12v signal to the Albright solenoid so it closes whenever the ignition is ON. This method uses the spare 'compressor' wires under the back seat to activate the solenoid by putting 12v onto the spade terminal to close the solenoid. This is the method I have used temporarily. Extend the yellow ignition switched wire and connect it to the spade terminal in place of the green wire. Leave the green wire unplugged.

Back
Top Bottom